Lone Wolf (musician)
|Lone Wolf (Paul Marshall)|
|Genres||Acoustic, alternative, folk|
Paul decided Lone Wolf was the most appropriate name because he never allows anyone else to become involved in his writing process.
Paul Marshall was born and raised in Romford, Essex. At the age of 16 he moved to the small coastal town of Whitby, North Yorkshire. He started playing guitar at 18 "because, in Whitby there was literally nothing else to do". At 19 Marshall moved to Leeds to study and it was at this time he decided to abandon his original life goal of becoming a movie director and decided music was the way forward in his life.
In 2007, Paul released an album called "Vultures" under his own name. This was released on a small Birmingham, UK based label, Iapetus recordings. The track "Greenfly" from this album was what first attracted Simon Raymonde of Bella Union Records to approach Paul. Paul signed to Bella Union in 2008. Having released his first album under his name Marshall decided to change his stage name so not to come across as "just another singer/songwriter", and thus, Lone Wolf was born.
The first album under the Lone Wolf name "The Devil & I" was recorded by Jeniferever frontman Kristofer Jönson in various locations around Uppsala, Sweden and it was mixed by James Kenosha in Bridlington, UK.
Marshall has now abandoned playing solo and now the current live setup features a 'supergroup' of performers from various other bands, and the line up changes on a regular basis. It features either some of, or all of the following James Kenosha (Duels), Jon Foulger (Duels), Jim Foulger (Duels), Lindsay Wilson (Grammatics), James Mabbett (Napoleon IIIrd), Laura Groves (Blue Roses), Neil 'Wu' Widdop (This Et Al, Stalking Horse) and Tommy Davidson (These Monsters). The Devil And I was released in May 2010.
Marshall toured the UK and USA with Wild Beasts in 2010, was personally chosen by Richard Thompson to perform at his self curated Meltdown Festival at Royal Festival Hall as well as a few one off headline shows across the UK and Europe.
He is currently writing the followup to The Devil And I.
- Vultures (Paul Marshall, 2007, Iapetus recordings)
- The Devil & I (Lone Wolf, 2010, Bella Union Records)
- The Lovers (Lone Wolf, Release Date TBC 2012, It Never Rains Records
- "Artist Profile". Elastic Artists. Retrieved 2011-03-13.
- "Paul Marshall - Vultures / Releases // Drowned In Sound". Drownedinsound.com. Retrieved 2011-03-13.
- Gourlay, Dom (2010-03-15). "DiS meets Lone Wolf / In Depth // Drowned In Sound". Drownedinsound.com. Retrieved 2011-03-13.
- United Kingdom. "A Summer Evening With Bella Union at Union Chapel (London) on 24 Jun 2010 –". Last.fm. Retrieved 2011-03-13.
- By Simon P. (2010-03-15). "VIDEO: Debut Singe from Lone Wolf-Keep Your Eyes on the Prize". Mixtape Muse. Retrieved 2011-03-13.