Lonely Boy (Andrew Gold song)
|Single by Andrew Gold|
|from the album What's Wrong with This Picture?|
|B-side||"Must Be Crazy"|
|Andrew Gold singles chronology|
"Lonely Boy" is an international hit song from 1977, written and recorded by Andrew Gold in 1976 for his album What's Wrong with This Picture? It peaked at number seven in both Canada and the United States, and number 11 in the United Kingdom. While "Lonely Boy" would be Gold's biggest U.S. hit, his "Never Let Her Slip Away" achieved greater success in the U.K.
The song follows the life of a child who feels neglected by his parents after the birth of a younger sister. Many assume this song to be autobiographical, yet Gold denied the implication, despite great similarities between the lyrics and his life. Regarding the verses' first lines: "He was born on a summer day in 1951" matches Andrew's August 2, 1951 birthday, "In the summer of '53 his mother/Brought him a sister" matches his sister Martha's July 22, 1953 birthday, and "He left home on a winter day, 1969" may well match the formation of Bryndle, of which Andrew was a member, in 1969.
The strongly syncopated song was also released as an edited single, eliminating the vocal bridge and shortening the instrumental finale.
In February 2000, the Foo Fighters recorded a cover of the song to be used as a B-side for an upcoming single off their 1999 album There Is Nothing Left to Lose; however, it wasn't used as a B-side as planned.
- Andrew Gold – vocals, piano, cowbell, handclaps
- Waddy Wachtel – lead guitar
- Dan Dugmore – rhythm guitar
- Kenny Edwards – bass guitar
- Brock Walsh – electric piano, ARP String Ensemble
- Mike Botts – drums, percussion ("sleigh bells")
- Linda Ronstadt – backing vocals
- Peter Asher – handclaps
- "Explore: Soft Rock | Top Songs | AllMusic". Web.archive.org. 2011-12-13. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- "Bio". andrewgold.com. Retrieved July 2, 2012.
- After 25 Years, MusicMasters Brings Bryndle Debut. Billboard. 1995-08-12. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- Andrew Gold- What's Wrong With this Picture? vinyl album liner notes. Accessed 12-16-2011.
- Andrew Gold- What's Wrong With this Picture? LP @Discogs.com (fails to list Andrew Gold as having played piano and cowbell on the track, although he is listed as such on the album credits) Retrieved 6-11-2011.