Lonely Boy (Andrew Gold song)
|Single by Andrew Gold|
|from the album What's Wrong with This Picture?|
|B-side||"Must Be Crazy"|
|Andrew Gold singles chronology|
"Lonely Boy" is a song written and recorded by Andrew Gold in 1976 for his album What's Wrong with This Picture? When released as a single in 1977, the song became a top-twenty hit in both the United States (#7) and the United Kingdom (#11). While "Lonely Boy" would be Gold's biggest U.S. hit, his "Never Let Her Slip Away" achieved greater success in the U.K.
The song follows the life of a child who feels neglected by his parents after the birth of a younger sister. Many assume this song to be autobiographical, yet Gold denied the implication, despite great similarities between the lyrics and his life. Regarding the verses' first lines: "He was born on a summer day in 1951" matches Andrew's August 2, 1951 birthday, "In the summer of '53 his mother/Brought him a sister" matches his sister Martha's July 22, 1953 birthday, and "He left home on a winter day, 1969" may well match the formation of Bryndle, of which Andrew was a member, in 1969.
The strongly syncopated song was also released as an edited single, eliminating the vocal bridge and shortening the instrumental finale.
In February 2000, the Foo Fighters recorded a cover of the song to be used as a B-side for an upcoming single off their 1999 album There Is Nothing Left to Lose; however, it wasn't used as a B-side as planned.
- Andrew Gold – vocals, piano, cowbell, handclaps
- Waddy Wachtel – lead guitar
- Dan Dugmore – rhythm guitar
- Kenny Edwards – bass guitar
- Brock Walsh – electric piano, ARP String Ensemble
- Mike Botts – drums, percussion ("sleigh bells")
- Linda Ronstadt – backing vocals
- Peter Asher – handclaps
- "Explore: Soft Rock | Top Songs | AllMusic". Web.archive.org. 2011-12-13. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- "Bio". andrewgold.com. Retrieved July 2, 2012.
- After 25 Years, MusicMasters Brings Bryndle Debut. Billboard. 1995-08-12. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- Andrew Gold- What's Wrong With this Picture? vinyl album liner notes. Accessed 12-16-2011.
- Andrew Gold- What's Wrong With this Picture? LP @Discogs.com (fails to list Andrew Gold as having played piano and cowbell on the track, although he is listed as such on the album credits) Retrieved 6-11-2011.