||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (April 2012)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012)|
|Type||Wholly owned subsidiary|
|Founder(s)||George McKerrow, Jr.|
|Headquarters||1000 Darden Center Drive
Orlando, Florida, U.S. 32837
|Number of locations||354 (2011)|
|Area served||United States|
|Key people||Clarence Otis, Jr.
(CEO/Chairman of Darden)
|Products||Steaks, Chicken, Burgers Salads|
|Parent||Darden Restaurants, Inc. (formerly operated by Rare Hospitality)|
LongHorn Steakhouse is an American casual dining restaurant chain that is owned and operated by Darden Restaurants, Inc., headquartered in Orlando, Florida. As of Feb 22, 2013, LongHorn Steakhouse operated over 370 restaurants in 35 states.
LongHorn Steakhouse was founded in 1981 by George McKerrow, Jr.. The first location, originally called LongHorn Steaks Restaurant & Saloon, opened on Peachtree Street in Atlanta, Georgia. The restaurant initially struggled financially. However, in January 1982, a sudden snowstorm trapped the area's commuter population within the city limits and McKerrow offered $1 drinks to the stranded motorists. This helped to turn the struggling restaurant around.
By 1990, the franchise expanded further south. It primarily has locations throughout the Eastern United States. It also has a few locations in the Midwest, Southwest, and Puerto Rico.
In August 2007, LongHorn Steakhouse, formerly owned and operated by RARE Hospitality International Inc., was purchased by Darden Restaurants, Inc.
The restaurant is best known for serving various kinds of steak, including its "Flo's Filet". In addition to steak, the menu also includes: ribs, chicken, salmon, lobster, shrimp, and salads. Appetizers include their "Texas Tonion" and "Wild West Shrimp"; and side dishes are also served. The restaurant offers a full bar with draft and bottled beer, wine, and several signature margaritas. A lunch menu that includes soups, salads, sandwiches, and hamburgers is available.
- "Darden 2011 Annual Report" (PDF). Darden Restaurants, Inc. Retrieved April 12, 2012.
- Darden Restaurants, Inc. (May 29, 2011). "FY 2011 10-K". U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Retrieved April 12, 2012.
- "Atlanta’s had a hearty appetite for restaurants". Atlanta Business Chronicle. September 22, 2008. Retrieved April 12, 2012.
- Nichola Groom (August 16, 2007). "UPDATE 3-Darden to buy RARE steakhouse chains". Thomson Reuters. Retrieved April 12, 2012.
- "About LongHorn". LongHorn Steakhouse. Retrieved April 12, 2012.