Long Tan (footballer)
|Full name||Tan Long|
|Date of birth||April 1, 1988|
|Place of birth||Dalian, Liaoning, China|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|2010||FC Tampa Bay||25||(3)|
|2011–2012||Vancouver Whitecaps FC||17||(1)|
|2011||→ Vancouver Whitecaps FC U-23 (loan)||6||(5)|
|2012||→ Vancouver Whitecaps FC U-23 (loan)||2||(3)|
|2012||→ Richmond Kickers (loan)||1||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of April 12, 2015.
† Appearances (Goals).
Tan Long (simplified Chinese: 谭龙; traditional Chinese: 譚龍; pinyin: Tán Lóng; born April 1, 1988), former name Tan Xin (simplified Chinese: 谭鑫; traditional Chinese: 譚鑫; pinyin: Tán Xīn), is a Chinese footballer who currently plays for Arizona United in the USL Pro.
Tan started playing football when he was six. Between 1994 and 2004, he studied academics and played football at the Zhongshan School in his hometown Dalian before moving to Shanghai to further his career. He subsequently played for Shanghai United and Pudong Zobon in 2008 in China League One. He made his senior debut and scored his first professional goal on April 29, 2007, in a 2-1 home defeat to Beijing Institute of Technology.
Tan relocated to the United States in late 2008, and played for the Atlanta Blackhawks in the USL Premier Development League in 2009, scoring 7 goals in 12 appearances. He attended open tryouts for MLS’s Philadelphia Union, but did not get called back after the first round of workouts, and eventually signed with FC Tampa Bay of the new USSF Division 2 Professional League in January 2010.
Tan's rights were traded to Vancouver Whitecaps FC as part of the deal taking Jonny Steele and Ricardo Sánchez to Tampa Bay on July 20, 2010. He went on trial with the club in November 2010 in view of signing with the club following their move up to Major League Soccer. Tan signed a contract with the club on March 11, 2011. He made his debut for the club on March 26, 2011 in a 1–0 loss to Philadelphia Union, and in doing so became the first Chinese-born player to play for a Major League Soccer club. On October 12, 2011, Tan become the first Chinese-born player to score a goal in the league when he scored against D.C. United.
Tan was traded to D.C. United on June 28, 2012 in exchange for a third-round 2015 MLS SuperDraft pick. He scored his first goal against the Chicago Fire in a 4-2 win for D.C. United. Tan was later released after the end of the season.
Tan then signed with USL Professional Division club Orlando City on February 6, 2013. On April 6, 2013, Tan scored a goal and assisted on another during his debut for Orlando in a 3-1 victory over Phoenix FC. In the fourth round of the 2013 U.S. Open Cup, he scored in the second minute in a 1-0 victory against defending champions Sporting Kansas City to bring his club to the next round. His contract was not renewed at the end of the 2013 season and he was released.
After his release by Harbin Yiteng, Tan return to the United States and signed with USL Pro club Arizona United on July 11, 2014. In only 12 league appearances for Arizona, Tan scored five goals, tying with Jonathan Top as the teams leading scorer and led the team with 32 shots. After signing Tan, Arizona nearly doubled its goals-per-game average, going from 0.88 to 1.58. Tan was named to the All-League Second Team for his efforts. On October 21, 2014, it was announced that Tan had signed a multi-year contract for the club before the 2015 USL Pro season.
- USL Pro Championship: 2013
- All-League Second Team: 2014
- 揭秘中邦小将谭鑫:有1跨国家庭 女友叫小柳金 [Decrypt Zobon's young fellow Tan Xin: a multinational family with a girlfriend nicknamed little Liukin] (in Chinese). cn.yahoo.com. August 28, 2008. Retrieved July 24, 2012.
- 上海七斗星输球仍有亮点 谭鑫首次登场就进球 [There is still bright spot after Shanghai Stars' loss: Tan Xin scores his first goal in the debut] (in Chinese). Sports.qq.com. April 29, 2007. Retrieved December 28, 2011.
- "Atlanta Blackhawks 2009 USL PDL Statistics". Uslsoccer.com. Retrieved December 28, 2011.
- Murray, Nicholas (January 31, 2010). "Long Tan latest signing by FC Tampa Bay". Thetampabaysoccerblog.blogspot.com. Retrieved December 28, 2011.
- http://18.104.22.168/news/2010/11/long-tan-trial-and-cornelius-stewart-returns[dead link]
- "Whitecaps FC sign defender/midfielder Blake Wagner and striker Long Tan | Vancouver Whitecaps FC". Whitecapsfc.com. March 11, 2011. Retrieved December 28, 2011.
- Martin MacMahon (October 12, 2011). "Tan's first goal lifts 'Caps off bottom of league table | Vancouver Whitecaps FC". Whitecapsfc.com. Retrieved January 28, 2012.
- "Long Tan acquired". D.C. United. June 28, 2012. Retrieved July 22, 2012.
- "D.C. United waives Long Tan". DC United. January 25, 2013. Retrieved April 19, 2013.
- "Orlando City Soccer Club: Team News". Orlandocitysoccer.com. Retrieved February 26, 2013.
- "Orlando Rallies Past Phoenix". USL Pro. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- "Sporting Kansas City vs Orlando City FC 06-13-2013 - Recap MLS Soccer.com". MLSsoccer.com. June 12, 2013. Retrieved June 13, 2013.
- "With MLS Goal, City Re-Tools Roster". Orlandocitysoccer.com. September 13, 2013. Retrieved January 29, 2014.
- 毅腾正式签留洋锋煞 中国赴美大联盟第一人加盟 [Yiteng signed oversea forward officially, First Chinese player in the MLS joined] (in Chinese). Sports.sohu.com. February 21, 2014. Retrieved February 21, 2014.
- "USL PRO All-League Teams Announced". United Soccer Leagues (USL). September 23, 2014. Retrieved September 23, 2014.
- "Tan Re-Signs With Arizona". USL Pro. Retrieved October 22, 2014.