Longview High School
|Longview High School|
|201 East Tomlinson Parkway
Longview, Texas, Gregg County, 75605
United States of America
|Type||Co-Educational, Public, Secondary|
|Motto||Believe in Excellence|
|School district||Longview Independent School District|
Longview High School (colloquially known as LHS) is a public, co-educational 5A high school serving grades nine to twelve in Longview, Texas (USA). The school serves as the secondary campus of the Longview Independent School District. The school was founded in 1874 as the Longview Male and Female Institute, and the first permanent structure was established in 1885.
Longview High's colors are green and white and its mascot is the Lobo.
The school's athletic program is highlighted by its football team. While the football program only has one State Championship to its name, the team has been one of the most winning teams in Texas history. With over 600 wins to its name, the Longview Lobo team has won over 30 district championship (most coming since 1967). The Lobos won their first state championship in 1937 with a 19-12 victory over Wichita Falls. The game was played on Christmas Day in the Cotton Bowl. Longview plays at Lobo Stadium, on the campus of Longview High School. The Lobos returned to the State Final game in 1997 but suffered a 24-3 loss to the hands of the Katy Tigers. Longview had been undefeated going into the game and ranked No. 3 in the country. Longview played in their third State Championship game in 2008 as they were realigned to Class 4A. Lake Travis kept the 70+ year old streak intact with a 48-23 victory over the Lobos. In 2009, the Lobos made their fourth State Championship appearance and 2nd consecutive (a first in school history) setting up a rematch against Lake Travis. The game ended 24-17 infavor of the Cavaliers and the Lobos found themselves empty handed once again. With the 2010 Realignment, the Lobos moved back up to Class 5A. A number of high profile coaches guided the Lobos over time, including P.E. “Pete” Shotwell (1935–1945) and Milburn “Catfish” Smith (1954–1958).
The girls basketball team won the 5A State championship in 1984 and the boys basketball team won the 5A State Championship in 1992.
In 2009, the Lady Lobo soccer team reached the Regional Final (6 rounds in) for the first time in their history.
In 1990, Chad Clark was the 5A boys Singles State Champion in tennis.
Official Lobo Football Website
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
- Bobby Collier, former NFL player; Los Angeles Rams, 1951
- Chris Davis (baseball), MLB All-Star. Played for Texas Rangers. Now the everyday first baseman for the Baltimore Orioles.
- Tony Goolsby, former member of the Texas House of Representatives from Dallas County
- Robert Henson (American football), NFL Washington Redskins Linebacker
- Eddie Hill, NHRA drag racing champion
- Chris Ivory, NFL New York Jets
- Malcolm Kelly, NFL former Washington Redskins Wide Receiver
- Matthew McConaughey, film actor
- Josh Scobee, NFL Washington Redskins Jacksonville Jaguars kicker
- Bobby Taylor (football player), NFL former NFL defensive back
- Russell Terrell, background vocalist
- Jose Francisco Torres, Pachuca Midfielder U.S. Mens National Soccer Team Member
- David Wesley, former NBA guard
- Trent Williams, NFL Washington Redskins offensive tackle
- Jeb Blount, NFL Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Oakland Raiders Quarterback
- Don Fambrough, Former head football coach at the University of Kansas
- Mike Clark, Place kicker for Pittsburgh Steelers, Philadelphia Eagles and Dallas Cowboys. On Cowboys Super Bowl VI team.
- Bruce Greer, Award winning musician, 1980
- "Chris Davis Stats". Baseball Almanac. Unknown parameter
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Longview High School.|