Longwood Medical and Academic Area
The Longwood Medical and Academic Area (also known as Longwood Medical Area, LMA, or simply Longwood) is a medical campus in Boston, Massachusetts.Flanking Longwood Avenue, as it runs from Huntington Avenue to The Riverway, LMA is adjacent to the Fenway–Kenmore, Audubon Circle and Mission Hill neighborhoods, and the town of Brookline.
It is most strongly associated with the Harvard Medical School, the Harvard School of Public Health, the Harvard School of Dental Medicine and other medical facilities such as Harvard's teaching hospitals, but prominent non-Harvard and non-medical institutions are located there as well, such as museums, colleges and research centers.
Hospitals and research institutions
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Boston Children's Hospital
- Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Joslin Diabetes Center
- Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering
Schools and colleges
- Boston Latin School
- Emmanuel College
- Harvard Medical School (whose Warren Anatomical Museum houses the skull of and tamping iron which injured Phineas Gage)
- Harvard School of Dental Medicine
- Harvard School of Public Health
- Massachusetts College of Art and Design
- Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- Northeastern University
- Simmons College
- Wentworth Institute of Technology
- Wheelock College
- The Winsor School
LMA is served by two rail stations at opposite ends of Longwood Avenue: "Longwood" (on the MBTA Green Line's "D" branch) and "Longwood Medical Area" (on the "E" branch). Several public bus routes serve the area. MASCO offers shuttle buses (generally for affiliated personnel only) around the Longwood Medical Area and between Harvard's Cambridge Campus and the Medical Campus (M2). The M2 shuttle is free for passengers holding a Harvard ID, and tickets can be purchased at multiple locations.
- "Longwood Medical and Academic Area (LMA) Fact Sheet". MASCO Area Planning and Development. December 2012. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Longwood Medical Area.|