Love in 2009
July 12, 1971 |
Detroit, Michigan, U.S.
|Medium||Television, stand-up, film|
|Subject(s)||Relationships, current events, American politics|
|Influences||Richard Pryor, Bill Maher, Eddie Griffin|
Loni Love (born July 12, 1971) is an American comedienne and actress. Before quitting her job as an electrical engineer in 2003, Love began to pursue a career in stand up comedy. She was the runner-up on Star Search 2003 and was named "Top 10 Comics to Watch" in both Variety and Comedy Central in 2009. She is currently one of the hosts of The Real talk show along with Tamar Braxton, Jeannie Mai, Adrienne Bailon, and Tamera Mowry, which premiered on July 15, 2013.
Life and career
Love was born in Detroit, Michigan, and grew up in the Brewster-Douglass Housing Projects. Prior to her career as a comedian she was an electrical engineer, an experience she talks about in many of her acts. After graduating from high school in 1989, she had worked for a time on the General Motors assembly line putting doors on 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlasses, work which ignited her interest in electrical engineering. Love then her bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from Prairie View A&M University in Texas. While at Prairie View, she minored in music and was also a member of the Eta Beta Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta. It was there that she discovered stand-up comedy after winning a $50 competition and then performed constantly during her college life. After finding work as an engineer at Xerox in California, she continued to do stand-up after work in clubs and became a regular at the Laugh Factory. After eight years of working at Xerox, Love resigned to pursue comedy during a layoff to prevent someone else from losing their job. Recently love did a show on VH1 called I love the 2000s which she gives her view on 2000-2009's pop culture highlights
Love started her comedic career in 2004, after appearing on Star Search, reaching the finals and losing in a close competition to the winner. Since then, she has appeared in films and numerous television shows. She has also acted in dramatic theatre plays. Love was named "Hot Comic" for 2009 in Campus Activity magazine and one of the "Top 10 Comics to Watch" in both Variety and Comedy Central. She was awarded the Jury Prize for best stand-up at the 2003 US Comedy Arts Festival. In 2008 Love became the CNN correspondent for D. L. Hughley Breaks the News and covered the inauguration of President Barack Obama. She also appears regularly in comedy clubs and the college comedy circuit. In late 2009, Love recorded her first one-hour Comedy Central special, America's Sister, which aired on May 8, 2010. In 2013, Loni released her first comedy advice book titled "Love Him Or Leave Him But Don't Get Stuck With The Tab". It was published by Simon and Schuster. She is set to appear in the comedy film Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 in 2015.
|2015||Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2||Donna Ericone|
|With or Without You||Waitress||Minor|
|2014||I Love the 2000s||Herself|
|2010||The Gossip Queens|
|2009||Wildest TV Show Moments|
|D. L. Hughley Breaks the News|
|Phineas and Ferb||Carl's Saleswoman Disguise|
|2008–2014||TruTV Presents: World's Dumbest...|
|2006||Thick and Thin||Viola||Series regular|
|2005||The Tonight Show with Jay Leno||Herself||Featured comic|
|Weekends at the DL||Panelist|
|Cuts||Pepper||Guest star (1 episode)|
|2004–2007||Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide||Lunch Lady||Recurring|
|2004||Girlfriends||Guest star (1 episode)|
|Redlight, Greenlight||Herself||Series host|
|I Love the '70s||Series regular|
|I Love the '80s Strikes Back|
- "417 at 4:17: An Interview with Comedian Loni Love - 417 Blog — March 2010 - Southwest Missouri". 417mag.com. Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- "It’s Official: ‘The Real’ Talk Show Begins Four-Week Test Run July 15". Deadline Hollywood. June 12, 2013. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- Official bio, retrieved 2009-11-16[dead link]
- Joszor, Njai (27 August 2009), Lonie Love: Laughter For Life, Singersroom.com, retrieved 2009-11-13
- Richardson, Emma (3 November 2009), Loni Love Foxy (And Funny) Problem Solver, Real Detroit Weekly, retrieved 2009-11-13
- Carnes, Jim. "Loni Love will say what's on her mind at Punch Line — Sacramento Entertainment — Sacramento Movie Theaters, Music | Sacramento Bee". Sacbee.com. Retrieved 2010-08-31.[dead link]
- "Twitter / Loni Love: Eta Beta Chapter for life". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- Loni Love & John Roy, CBS Broadcasting Inc., retrieved 2009-11-16
- Resume, retrieved 2009-11-16
- "Interview: Loni Love: American Sister". The Trades. 2010-04-20. Retrieved 2010-08-31.