(Richardson) Banks ex Spreng.
Lonicera involucrata (Bearberry Honeysuckle, Bracted Honeysuckle, Twinberry Honeysuckle, Californian Honeysuckle, Twin-berry, Black Twinberry) is a species of honeysuckle native to northern and western North America, from southern Alaska east across boreal Canada to Quebec, and south through the western United States to California, and to Chihuahua in northwestern Mexico. It grows at elevations from sea level to 2,900 m.
It is a large shrub that can grow 0.5–5 m high, with shoots with a quadrangular cross-section. The leaves are elliptic, to oval-shaped, 3–16 cm long and 2–8 cm broad; they are hairy along the margins and on the underside, and have a distinctive abruptly acuminate tip. The flowers are yellow, tubular, hairy, 1–2 cm long, and are monoecious; they are produced in pairs subtended by a pair of reddish basal bracts 2–4 cm across. The fruit is a 6–12 mm diameter black berry containing several small seeds;
- Lonicera involucrata var. involucrata. Most of the species' range, except as below; in California only in the Sierra Nevada. Leaves thin; flowers yellow.
- Lonicera involucrata var. ledebourii (Eschsch.) Jeps. Coastal California and southern Oregon. Leaves thick, leathery; flowers tinged orange to red outside.
Cultivation and uses
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lonicera involucrata.|
- "The Plant List: A Working List of All Plant Species". Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "BSBI List 2007" (XLS). Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland. Retrieved 2014-10-17.
- Germplasm Resources Information Network: Lonicera involucrata
- Plants of British Columbia: Lonicera involucrata
- Jepson Flora: Lonicera involucrata
- BorealForest: Lonicera involucrata
- Jepson Flora: Lonicera involucrata var. involucrata
- Jepson Flora: Lonicera involucrata var. ledebourii
- Blanchan, N. (2005). Wild Flowers Worth Knowing. Project Gutenberg Literary Archive Foundation.
- Darris, D. (2011). "Plant fact sheet for twinberry honeysuckle (Lonicera involucrata)" (PDF). USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service, Corvallis, OR.