|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013)|
Comic science fiction
|Format||Animated television series|
|Created by||Adam Trevor Grant
Joseph Louis Grant
|Developed by||Andy Rex|
|Written by||Adam Trevor Grant
Joseph Louis Grant
|Directed by||Dan Fausett
|Creative director(s)||David Brauton (season 1)
Andy Rex (season 2)
Kevin Michael Richardson
|Narrated by||Candi Milo|
|Composer(s)||Thomas Chase Jones|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||(26 episodes) (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Sander Schwartz|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Warner Bros. Animation|
|Original channel||Kids' WB|
|Original run||September 17, 2005– May 5, 2007|
Loonatics Unleashed is an American animated television series produced by Warner Bros. Animation that ran on the Kids' WB for two seasons from 2005 to 2007 in the United States, Teletoon in Canada, Kids Central (now known as Okto) in Singapore, Cartoon Network's Boomerang in Australia, Cartoon Network in the UK, Southeast Asia and Latin America, and XHGC in Mexico. It is still broadcasting on Clan TVE.
The series was loosely based on the Looney Tunes cartoon characters, with the series described by Warner Bros. as an "action-comedy." Loonatics Unleashed is meant to be a mixture of the Looney Tunes shorts' irreverent style of humor and a modern action animated series, with the characters designed in an anime inspired style. Unlike previous Looney Tunes-related shows, Loonatics Unleashed has a dark tone and takes place in a post-apocalpytic setting, as well as multiple story arcs.
The first five episodes of Loonatics Unleashed occur in the year 2772, the year that a meteor strikes the fictional city-planet of Acmetropolis, knocking it completely off its original axis. However, instead of destroying the planet, the impact of the meteor and its resultant shock wave gives off supernatural cosmic energies that give some inhabitants superpowers while incapacitating others. A mysterious and powerful woman called Zadavia calls upon six of the affected residents to form a team of superheroes. She becomes their supervisor, dispatching them for the purpose of combating any and all threats to Acmetropolis and its citizens. The newly formed team is known as the Loonatics and reside on the 134th floor of a large tower. These characters are the descendants of the classic Looney Tunes characters, according to multiple press releases and official sources. Descendants of other Looney Tunes are unverified, though implied in certain situations.
A mysterious character known as Optimatus reveals that the meteor's striking Acmetropolis in 2772 was not an accident but a deliberate attempt to destroy Acmetropolis. Despite his failure in destroying the planet - the first attempt caused the energy release that gave the Loonatics and others their powers; the Loonatics stopped a second attempt with a space rock — he plans to attack the planet a third time. Later, in the two-part season-ending episode, "Acmegeddon," Optimatus returns and is revealed to be Zadavia's brother. He targets the Loonatics, Zadavia and all of Acmetropolis, hoping to destroy them all. They successfully save Acmetropolis along with the rest of the solar system and send Optimatus to an unknown location in the universe via wormhole.
Season 2 introduces many new characters and descendants of Looney Tunes. A second story arc begins: Optimatus returns, and as old villains reunite, Zadavia and the Loonatics, now joined by Sylth Vester and Tweetums, must save the galaxy once more. Before the series finale ends, Optimatus decides to use his powers for good.
His main color is yellow. Before the meteor hit the city, Ace was a stunt rabbit.
Her main color is pink. Before the meteor hit the city,Lexi was trying out to become a cheerleader.
His main color is orange. Before the meteor hit the city, Duck was a pool boy.
His main color is purple. Before the meteor hit the city, Slam was a fighter in a ring.
His main color is green. Before the meteor hit the city, Tech was a college student that got kick out for his genius took too long.
His main color is red. Before the meteor hit the city, Rev was a delivering boy.
Principal Voice Actors
- Charlie Schlatter - Ace Bunny
- Jessica DiCicco - Lexi Bunny
- Jason Marsden - Danger Duck, Rupes Oberon
- Candi Milo - Zadavia, Harriet Runner, Misty Breeze, Queen Grannicus
- Rob Paulsen - Rev Runner, Gorlop, Mr. Leghorn (2nd Time)
- Kevin Michael Richardson - Slam Tasmanian, Tech E. Coyote
- Charlie Adler - Optimatus
- Joe Alaskey - Melvin the Martian, Sylth Vester, Royal Tweetums, Stoney the Stone
- Dee Bradley Baker - Otto the Odd
- Jeff Bennett - Professor Zane, Dr. Fidel Chroniker
- Bob Bergen - Pinkster Pig
- Dan Castellaneta - Additional voices
- Bootsy Collins - Boötes Belinda
- Jim Cummings - Additional voices
- Kaley Cuoco - Weather Vane
- Tim Curry - Ringmaster
- Grey DeLisle - Apocazons
- Michael Clarke Duncan - Massive
- Jeannie Elias - Additional voices
- Bill Farmer - Mr. Leghorn (1st Time)
- David Faustino - Time Skip
- Vivica A. Fox - Black Velvet
- Mark Hamill - Adolpho
- Florence Henderson - Mallory Mastermind
- Mikey Kelley - Rip Runner
- Tom Kenny - Gunnar the Conqueror
- Maurice LaMarche - Ophiuchus Sam, Pierre Le Pew
- Phil LaMarr - Drake Sypher
- Daran Norris - Alien Dad, Ralph Runner
- Khary Payton - General Deuce
- Cree Summer - Additional voices
- James Arnold Taylor - Bugsy the Bug
- Simon Templeman - Dr. Dare
- Billy West - Electro J. Fudd, Sagittarius Stomper
- Serena Williams - Queen Athena
The show received mixed reviews from critics, scoring about 5/10 on I.M.D.B. Although having a large fanbase, the show was also greeted with negative criticism from audiences familiar with the original versions of the Looney Tunes characters.
|DVD name||Release date||Ep #||Additional information|
|The Complete First Season||March 13, 2007||13||Features: Loonatics Unleashed: Villain Invasion.|
|The Complete Second Season||August 14, 2007||13||No Additional Features.|
- George Gene Gustines (2005-06-06). "It's 2772. Who Loves Ya, Tech E. Coyote?". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Loonatics Unleashed|
- Official website
- Loonatics Unleashed at the Internet Movie Database
- Loonatics Unleashed at TV.com
- "Loonatics Promo Short Gives First Look at New Series"
- National Public Radio Talk of the Nation interview about Loonatics Unleashed
- Loonatic Unleashed Teletoon Site