Lorcan Dempsey is the Vice-President and Chief Strategist of the Online Computer Library Center (OCLC).
He is a native of Dublin, Ireland, where he worked for some years in public libraries. He writes and talks about libraries and networked information. In recent years, Lorcan has been a regular panellist at the LITA Top Tech Trends at the American Library Association annual conference. He is interested in the impact of changing patterns of research and learning on libraries, in libraries as public institutions, and in the architecture of digital information environments.
During most of his time at UKOLN, he also served as a director of the popular Ariadne magazine. He was a co-founder of the Resource Discovery Network (RDN), which later became known as Intute.
In May 2000 Dempsey moved to work for the Jisc; part of his assignment involved being Programme Director of the DNER. In 2001 he joined OCLC as Vice-President of Research. Lorcan was named OCLC Chief Strategist in March 2004.
He is currently a member of the NISO Board and an Honorary Research Fellow at the University of Wales, Aberystwyth.
A 2007 post on his blog was responsible for the coining of the term amplified conference. Lorcan has introduced many other concepts and terminology into the library community, including the network level; collective collection; disclosure; sourcing and scaling; library logistics; making data work harder; Amazoogle; in the flow; discovery happens elsewhere; inside out and outside in (of collections) and web scale. He is also sometimes credited with introducing the term memory institution into popular use.
Dempsey has written and presented extensively on library issues. His published works cover topics such as the Warwick Framework, libraries in the contemporary world, the evolution of the digital library, and the library catalogue.
- Course Director, TICER Summer School, Tilburg University, The Netherlands, 21–24 August 2012
- Principal presenter, Hong Kong University Libraries Leadership Institute, Bangkok, Thailand, 29 Apr – 3 May 2011
Contributions to invitational lecture series
- The Research Library: Scalable Efficiency and Scalable Learning. 2012 SLIS David Kaser Lecture Series, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, 7 October 2012.
- Universities, libraries, collections, futures. Miles Conrad Lecture, NFAIS 52nd Annual Conference, Philadelphia. 1 March 2010.
- Discovery, Delivery, Disclosure. University of Minnesota Libraries Planning Speaker Series. Minneapolis, 23 November 2009.
- The Changing Scholarly and Cultural Record. Hall Center for the Humanities, University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas. 5 December 2007.
- The Network Rewrites the Library. Phineas L. Windsor Lectureship, UIUC-Graduate School of Library and Information Science, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois. 23 February 2007.
- Libraries and the network platform: A new cooperative context. Inaugural Frederick G. Kilgour Lecture in Information and Library Science, The School of Information and Library Science, UNC, Chapel Hill, North Carolina. 22 February 2006.
- Dempsey, Lorcan & Pinfield, Stephen (10 January 2001). "Description of the DNER". Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- "Lorcan Dempsey, OCLC". Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- Dempsey, Lorcan. "Orweblog". Retrieved 5 January 2010.
- Dempsey, Lorcan. "Twitter feed of Lorcan Dempsey". Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- Dempsey, Lorcan (25 July 2007). "The amplified conference". Retrieved 30 August 2008.
- "Web scale". 5 January 2007. Retrieved 28 May 2012.
- "Memory Institutions". 2 December 2008. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- "Some written works by Lorcan Dempsey". Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- "Some presentations by Lorcan Dempsey". Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- "WorldCat holdings of Lorcan Dempsey". Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- Dempsey, Lorcan & Weibel, Stuart (July 1996). "The Warwick Metadata Workshop: A Framework for theDeployment of Resource Description". Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- Dempsey, Lorcan (5 January 2009). "Always On: Libraries in a World of Permanent Connectivity". Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- Dempsey, Lorcan (8 February 2006). "The (Digital) Library Environment: Ten Years After". Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- Dempsey, Lorcan (30 July 2006). "The Library Catalogue in the New Discovery Environment: Some Thoughts". Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- "ALCTS Awards Honor Outstanding Contributions". 2004. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- "Lorcan Dempsey is NFAIS 2010 Miles Conrad Lecturer". 5 March 2010. Retrieved 24 May 2012.