Lord Charles FitzRoy (politician)
|The Right Honourable
Lord Charles FitzRoy
|Vice-Chamberlain of the Household|
29 June 1835 – 27 April 1838
|Prime Minister||The Viscount Melbourne|
|Preceded by||Viscount Castlereagh|
|Succeeded by||The Earl of Belfast|
|Born||28 February 1791|
|Died||13 June 1865|
|Spouse(s)||Lady Anne Cavendish (1787–1871)|
Lieutenant-Colonel Lord Charles FitzRoy PC (28 February 1791 – 13 June 1865), was a British soldier and Whig politician. He fought at the Battle of Waterloo at an early age and later held political office as Vice-Chamberlain of the Household between 1835 and 1838.
Fitzroy was the second son of George FitzRoy, 4th Duke of Grafton, and his wife Lady Charlotte Maria Waldegrave, daughter of James Waldegrave, 2nd Earl Waldegrave. Henry FitzRoy, 5th Duke of Grafton, was his elder brother.
FitzRoy joined the army and served in the Peninsular War. He was a captain in the 1st Foot Guards and fought in the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. He eventually reached the rank of lieutenant-colonel.
FitzRoy was elected as a Member of Parliament (MP) for Thetford at the 1818 general election, and held the seat until the 1830 general election, which he did not contest. He returned to Commons the following year, when he was elected at the 1831 general election as MP for Bury St Edmunds. He held the seat until 1847, when he did not stand again. When the Whigs came to power under Lord Melbourne in 1835, FitzRoy was sworn of the Privy Council and appointed Vice-Chamberlain of the Household, a post he held until 1838.
FItzroy married Lady Anne Cavendish, daughter of George Cavendish, 1st Earl of Burlington and Lady Elizabeth Compton, on 25 October 1825. They had one son and a daughter. He died in June 1865, aged 74. Lady Charles FitzRoy died in May 1871, aged 83.
- thepeerage.com Rt. Hon. Lt.-Col. Lord Charles Fitzroy
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "T" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- Stooks Smith, Henry. (1973) [1844-1850]. Craig, F. W. S., ed. The Parliaments of England (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 228. ISBN 0-900178-13-2.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "B" (part 6)[self-published source][better source needed]
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1832–1885 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 73. ISBN 0-900178-26-4.
- The London Gazette: . 21 July 1835.
- Bucholz, R.O. Bucholz (2006). "Chamber Administration: Lord Chamberlain, 1660-1837". Office-Holders in Modern Britain: Volume 11 (revised): Court Officers, 1660-1837. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Lord Charles FitzRoy
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Lord John FitzRoy
|Member of Parliament for Thetford
1818 – 1830
With: Nicholas Ridley-Colborne 1818–1826
Bingham Baring 1826–1830
Lord James FitzRoy
Earl of Euston
The Earl Jermyn
|Member of Parliament for Bury St Edmunds
1831 – 1847
With: The Earl Jermyn
The Earl Jermyn
|Vice-Chamberlain of the Household
The Earl of Belfast
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (since 1801), for an English constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|