Lord Dark Wind
|Lord Dark Wind|
|First appearance||Daredevil (1st series), #196 (July 1983)|
|Created by||Denny O'Neil
|Alter ego||Kenji Oyama|
Lord Dark Wind (Professor Kenji Oyama) is a fictional character from Marvel Comics. He is the father of X-Men supervillainess Lady Deathstrike, and inventor of the adamantium bonding process. He first appeared in Daredevil #196 (July 1983).
Fictional character biography
Professor Kenji Oyama was a Japanese scientist who was also a powerful crime lord known as Lord Dark Wind. Kenji is most famous for creating the adamantium-to-bone bonding process that would be used on Wolverine, Bullseye, and others. He is also the father of Yuriko Oyama, the woman who would later become Lady Deathstrike.
A Japanese kamikaze pilot during World War II, the bombs on his plane failed to explode when he crashed into an American aircraft carrier, and he miraculously survived, though his face was horribly scarred. He wrote a book about his experiences and made a fortune from its sales, which he used to buy a private island and set himself up as a lord. During this time he married and had three children. Feeling shamed by his failure decades earlier, he permanentally adorned his face with a black cowl and scarred the faces of his children in a ritual design. Seeing merchantilism as inherently dishornorable, he began funding violent political activity, and ordered his two sons to assassinate the Japanese prime minister; they died in the attempt.
Intending to employ the assassin Bullseye, he freed him from prison and performed surgeries to replace his damaged vertebrae with adamantium. Daredevil pursued Bullseye to his estate. His daughter Yuriko allied herself with Daredevil. To free her lover, Kiro, from her father's servitude, and to gain vengeance for her scarring and the death of her two brothers, she slew Lord Dark Wind. Yuriko would later belatedly embrace her father's ideals and go on a quest to track down the person who dishonored him.
- In X-Men, Professor Thornton of the Weapon-X project mentions that the adamantium bonding process was developed by Professor Oyama. Oyama was evidently killed during Wolverine's rampage through the Weapon-X facility, causing Lady Deathstrike to seek revenge.
- In the X-Men: Evolution episode "Grim Reminder," Dark Wind activates a device implanted in Wolverine's brain to make him return to Weapon X. He is not called by name and doesn't elaborate on Logan's past, but he is visually identical to other versions of Dark Wind.
- Lord Dark Wind is mentioned by Yuriko in the game X2: Wolverine's Revenge.
- Daredevil Vol. 1 #196-199
- Daredevil Vol. 1 #197
- Daredevil Vol. 1 #198
- Daredevil Vol. 1 #199
- Daredevil Vol. 1 #196-198
- Alpha Flight Vol. 1 #33-34
- Lord Darkwind at the Appendix to the Handbook of the Marvel Universe