Marquess of Tweeddale
Marquess of Tweeddale (sometimes spelled Tweedale) is a title of the Peerage of Scotland, created in 1694 for the 2nd Earl of Tweeddale. Lord Tweeddale holds the subsidiary titles of Earl of Tweeddale (created 1646), Earl of Gifford (1694), Viscount of Walden (1694), Lord Hay of Yester (1488), and Baron Tweeddale, of Yester in the County of Haddington (1881), all but the last in the Peerage of Scotland. As Baron Tweeddale in the Peerage of the United Kingdom, Lord Tweeddale sat between 1881 and 1963 in the House of Lords. The Marquess' eldest son uses Viscount Walden as a courtesy title.
The family seat was Yester House.
Lords Hay of Yester (1488)
- John Hay, 1st Lord Hay of Yester (c. 1450–1508)
- Thomas Hay, Master of Yester (d. between 1502-1504)
- John Hay, 2nd Lord Hay of Yester (d. 1513)
- John Hay, 3rd Lord Hay of Yester (d. 1543)
- John Hay, 4th Lord Hay of Yester (d. 1557)
- William Hay, 5th Lord Hay of Yester (d. 1586)
- William Hay, 6th Lord Hay of Yester (d. 1591)
- James Hay, 7th Lord Hay of Yester (d. 1609)
- John Hay, 8th Lord Hay of Yester (1593–1653) (created Earl of Tweeddale in 1646)
Earls of Tweeddale (1646)
- John Hay, 1st Earl of Tweeddale (1593–1653)
- John Hay, 2nd Earl of Tweeddale (1626–1697) (created Marquess of Tweeddale in 1694)
Marquesses of Tweeddale (1694)
- John Hay, 1st Marquess of Tweeddale (1626–1697)
- John Hay, 2nd Marquess of Tweeddale (1645–1713)
- Charles Hay, 3rd Marquess of Tweeddale (1670–1715)
- John Hay, 4th Marquess of Tweeddale (1695–1762)
- George Hay, 5th Marquess of Tweeddale (1758–1770)
- George Hay, 6th Marquess of Tweeddale (1700–1787)
- George Hay, 7th Marquess of Tweeddale (1753–1804)
- George Hay, 8th Marquess of Tweeddale (1787–1876)
- George Hay, Earl of Gifford (1822–1862)
- Arthur Hay, 9th Marquess of Tweeddale (1824–1878)
- William Montagu Hay, 10th Marquess of Tweeddale (1826–1911)
- William George Montagu Hay, 11th Marquess of Tweeddale (1884–1967)
- Lord Hay (1928–1928)
- David George Montagu Hay, 12th Marquess of Tweeddale (1921–1979)
- Edward Douglas John Hay, 13th Marquess of Tweeddale (1947–2005)
- Charles David Montagu Hay, 14th Marquess of Tweeddale (b. 1947)
The heir presumptive is the present holder's younger brother Lord Alistair James Montagu Hay, Master of Tweeddale (b. 1955)
The heir presumptive's heir presumptive is his half-brother Lord Andrew Arthur George Hay (b. 1959). He is married with two sons, Angus Hay (b. 1991) and Rory Hay (b. 1992).
The heir presumtive's heir apparent is his son Angus David George Hay (b. 1991).
- Who's Who 2010 (A & C Black) http://www.ukwhoswho.com/view/article/oupww/whoswho/U45866
|url=missing title (help), retrieved 25 Feb 2010 (Subscription or library card required for online edition.)
- Taylor, M.A., D.D., F.S.A, James (1887), "The Hays of Tweeddale", The Great Historic Families of Scotland. Online at electricscotland.com.
- Kidd, Charles; Shaw, Christine; Bierbrier, M L et al., eds. (November 2007), "TWEEDDALE, MARQUESS OF (Hay) (Marquess S 1694). Charles David Montagu Hay, 14th Marquess", Peerage & Baronetage (Debrett's): 1421–1423, ISBN 978-1-870520-80-5 . (Online at Exact Editions and Credo Reference. Subscription or library card required.)