Lord Otho FitzGerald
|The Right Honourable
Lord Otho FitzGerald
|"A Message from The Queen" – Lord Otho FitzGerald, by Leslie Ward, 1873.|
|Comptroller of the Household|
12 December 1868 – 17 February 1874
|Prime Minister||William Gladstone|
|Preceded by||Viscount Royston|
|Succeeded by||Lord Henry Somerset|
|Born||10 October 1827|
|Died||19 November 1882|
Lord Otho Augustus FitzGerald PC (10 October 1827 – 19 November 1882) was a British soldier and Liberal politician. He notably served as Comptroller of the Household under William Gladstone between 1868 and 1874.
FitzGerald was the third son of Augustus FitzGerald, 3rd Duke of Leinster, by his wife Lady Charlotte Augusta Stanhope, daughter of General Charles Stanhope, 3rd Earl of Harrington. Charles FitzGerald, 4th Duke of Leinster, was his elder brother.
Fitzgerald was an officer in the Royal Horse Guards and served as a Gentleman of the Bedchamber to the Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland. He entered the House of Commons in 1865 as member for Kildare, a seat he held until 1874. In 1866 he was sworn of the Privy Council and made Treasurer of the Household under Lord Russell, a post he only held until the fall of the Liberal government in June of that year. He returned to office as Comptroller of the Household under William Gladstone in 1868, a post he retained until the government fell in 1874.
Lord Otho married Ursula Lucy Grace Bridgeman, daughter of Vice Admiral Charles Bridgeman and widow of Lord Londesborough, on 14 December 1861. This was regarded by his contemporaries as a fortune-hunting match. They had two children:
- Major Gerald Otho FitzGerald (25 September 1862 – 20 March 1919), unmarried and without issue.
- Ina Blanche Georgie FitzGerald (12 January 1864 – 6 July 1910), married on 29 January 1885 Major Arthur Leopold Paget (19 August 1856 - 1 March 1906).
Fitzgerald for a while he owned Oakley Court on the Thames, at Bray in Berkshire. He died in November 1882, aged 55. Lady Otho FitzGerald only survived him by a year and died in November 1883. They are buried at St Andrew's Church, Clewer.
- thepeerage.com Rt. Hon. Lord Otho Augustus FitzGerald
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "K" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- The London Gazette: . 12 June 1866.
- The London Gazette: . 11 May 1886.
- The London Gazette: . 13 July 1866.
- The London Gazette: . 22 December 1868.
- The London Gazette: . 3 March 1874.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Lord Otho FitzGerald
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Richard More O'Ferrall
|Member of Parliament for Kildare
1865 – 1874
With: William Cogan
Charles Henry Meldon
|Treasurer of the Household
|Comptroller of the Household
Lord Henry Somerset
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom, for a constituency in Ireland between 1801 and 1922 is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|