Lord of Vermilion
|Lord of Vermilion|
|Genre(s)||Fantasy collectible card game|
|Arcade system||Taito Type X2 Satellite Terminal|
GPU: PCI Express ×16-based
|Sound||Realtek HD 7.1-channel|
Lord of Vermilion (ロード・オブ・ヴーミリオン Rōdo obu Vāmirion?) is an arcade-based fantasy collectible card game developed by Think Garage and distributed by Square Enix in which players control combat cards on an arcade play surface. The objective of the game is to destroy the enemy team's Arcane Stones and eliminate their servants in order to win the game. Players design and develop avatars, increasing their statistics and obtaining equipment, then compete with each other locally, or online, or play the single player story mode.
A sequel, Lord of Vermilion II, was released in Japan on October 27, 2009, and was followed up by Lord of Vermilion Re:2 on July 26, 2011. The sequels prominently featured collaborations with a number of other franchises and game series, including the Final Fantasy, Romancing SaGa, Magic: The Gathering, The King of Fighters, Touhou and BlazBlue.
|This section requires expansion. (March 2009)|
The player controls up to 4 units on the field at one time including the player's avatar and up to 90 total cost of units at one time. When a unit dies it must be returned to the inactive area and after a set amount of time it can be used again. Active units can only be switched in and out while the players units are in the gate area. Players can damage enemy arcane crystals, the search eye, the crystal shield or gates by putting their units in the associated area as long as no enemies are present. Players can also damage the arcane crystals by destroying all of the opponents units that are on the field.
In ancient times, before the creation of the worlds lived God. He opened his heart and brought forth a vermilion stone in order to create seven different worlds. Whosoever held the vermilion stone held the power to create worlds, and would reign over the seven worlds as a god, the "Lord of Vermilion". The seven worlds existed side by side in harmony for millennia, their inhabitants separated by boundaries and unable to interfere with one another... until the "Great Collapse".
The lord of the human world, consumed by ambition, sought to use the forbidden magic of the vermilion stone, called the "Arcana", in order to become a god. However, he was unable to wield the power and the Arcana was shattered into seven pieces and scattered amongst the seven worlds, destroying their boundaries. The six worlds were drawn into the human world and they merged. With the six races of the six worlds thrust into the human world, chaos and war broke out.
Ages later, the world, called the "Land of Acheron", is still in turmoil. The six "Lords" of the six races sow strife across the land, warring for each other's Arcana. The player takes the role of a legendary warrior who holds the seventh Arcana and seeks to obtain the Arcana and upset the balance of the world, gathering an army of "Familiars" who hold faith in the legend of the "Lord of Vermilion".
- Player Character: The player character is one of the few humans to survive the Great Collapse, and can be customized by the player. A legendary warrior with mysterious origins, the player seeks to use the power of Arcana, "Miracle", to reshape the world and return harmony to the land, and as such gathers an army of faithful followers in order to wage war on the six "Lords" and become the "Lord of Vermilion". There are two characters which the player may select from: the male Nido (ニド?), or the female Rishia (リシア?). They each have similar backstories and roles within the story mode.
- Dux: A mysterious knight completely clad in heavy armor, which completely conceals their identity and gender, who first appears in the tutorial and holds extensive knowledge on Arcana and the world. Dux is later revealed to be a former friend of the player's deceased father who agreed to watch over the player several years earlier.
Lord of Vermilion
- Version 1.1: Rebellion of the Gods (神々への離反 Kamigami he no Rihan?)
- Version 1.2: A New Omen (新たなる胎動 Arata naru Taidou?)
- Version 1.3: Invitation to Purgatory (煉獄からの誘い Rengoku kara no Sasoi ?)
- Version 1.4: Return to Chaos (混沌への回帰 Konton he no Kaiki?)
Lord of Vermilion II
- Version 2.1: That Which was Summoned from the Void (深淵ヨリ招かれしモノ Shin'en yori Manekareshi Mono?)
- Version 2.5: Ultimate Version (アルティメットバージョン Arutimetto Bājyon?)
- Version 2.6: Samsara of Madness (狂気ノ輪廻 Kyōki no Rinne?)
To date, contributing guest artists include:
- "Think Garage Works History". Archived from the original on 2011-08-16.
- "Lord of Vermilion: Coin-based card combat," Electronic Gaming Monthly 225 (February 2008): 24.
- "Outline of Results Briefing by SQUARE ENIX HOLDINGS held on November 7, 2008". Square-Enix.com. Retrieved 2008-12-20.
- "Lord of Vermilion Re:2 Official Site: Collaboration".
- "Square Enix Has Lord Of Vermilion III Set For Summer". Retrieved January 31, 2013.
- "Lord of Vermilion III".