September 3, 1986 |
Riverside, California, United States
|Other names||The Monsoon|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (180 cm)|
|Weight||186 lb (84 kg; 13 st 4 lb)|
|Division||Light heavyweight (205 lb)
Middleweight (185 lb)
|Reach||72.0 in (183 cm)|
|Rank||purple belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Lorenz Larkin (born September 3, 1986) is an American mixed martial artist, currently competing in the Middleweight division for the Ultimate Fighting Championship. He formerly competed for Strikeforce.
Larkin was born and raised in Riverside, California as one of nine siblings. Larkin began training in boxing at a young age and also played football, but soon gave it up because he did not excel at it or other team sports. Afterwards, he continued boxing but was not able to compete as much as he would like to, due to his father's objections. Larkin also felt that he was too short to be a professional boxer in the Heavyweight division, so he took up kickboxing and Brazilian jiu-jitsu which led him to mixed martial arts. Prior to his career in mixed martial arts, Larkin also trained in Kung Fu.
Mixed martial arts career
Larkin holds records of 5-0 and 10-0 in amateur boxing and amateur mixed martial arts, respectively, with one of those wins coming against Heavyweight prospect Walt Harris. Making his professional MMA debut in August 2009, he compiled an undefeated record of 9-0
Larkin made his debut in the Strikeforce promotion on April 1, 2011 against kickboxer Scott Lighty at Strikeforce Challengers: Wilcox vs. Damm, replacing Satoshi Ishii on a week's notice. Larkin won the fight via technical knockout in the second round and earned praise for his impressive performance against a veteran fighter, while being largely unheard of himself.
Larkin returned to the promotion in June 2011. He faced Gian Villante and won the fight via unanimous decision. Villante controlled the first round from top position but Larkin turned it around in the second round by keeping the fight on the feet and landing many strong kicks to the legs of his opponent. Larkin kept this up in the third round while also scoring an unexpected takedown in the last ten seconds.
Larkin was originally scheduled to headline the next challengers event against Virgil Zwicker but Zwicker pulled out due to an injury. Larkin instead faced Nick Rossborough and won the fight via unanimous decision.
Larkin next faced Muhammed Lawal at Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine. He lost the fight via KO in the second round, the first loss of his professional career. However, the result was overturned and changed to a No Contest after Lawal tested positive for steroids (Drostanolone).
For his next fight, Larkin dropped down to Middleweight division. He faced heavy-handed Robbie Lawler on July 14, 2012, at Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy. He won the fight via unanimous decision.
Larkin was to challenge Luke Rockhold for the championship on November 3, 2012 at Strikeforce: Cormier vs. Mir. The event was to be held at the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, but was cancelled in October 2012. The fight was rescheduled and set to take place on January 12, 2013. However, Rockhold once again pulled out of the fight due to injury. Larkin was then scheduled to face Ronaldo Souza, but the fight never materialized.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
In January 2013, the Strikeforce organization was closed by its parent company Zuffa. A list of fighters scheduled to be brought over to the Ultimate Fighting Championship was released in mid-January and Larkin was one of the fighters listed.
On February 9, 2013, the UFC announced that Larkin would make his debut against Francis Carmont at UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Melendez in San Jose, California. He lost the fight due to a controversial unanimous decision with many major MMA media scoring the fight as a win for Larkin.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|18 matches||14 wins||3 losses|
|Loss||14–3 (1)||Costas Philippou||KO (punch)||UFC Fight Night: Brown vs. Silva||May 10, 2014||1||3:27||Cincinnati, Ohio, United States|
|Loss||14–2 (1)||Brad Tavares||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Rockhold vs. Philippou||January 15, 2014||3||5:00||Duluth, Georgia, United States|
|Win||14–1 (1)||Chris Camozzi||Decision (unanimous)||UFC: Fight for the Troops 3||November 6, 2013||3||5:00||Fort Campbell, Kentucky, United States|
|Loss||13–1 (1)||Francis Carmont||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Melendez||April 20, 2013||3||5:00||San Jose, California, United States||Robbery of the Year (2013).|
|Win||13–0 (1)||Robbie Lawler||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy||July 14, 2012||3||5:00||Portland, Oregon, United States||Middleweight debut.|
|NC||12–0 (1)||Muhammed Lawal||NC (overturned by NSAC)||Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine||January 7, 2012||2||1:32||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Original loss via KO; result overturned as Lawal tested positive for Drostanolone.|
|Win||12–0||Nick Rossborough||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce Challengers: Larkin vs. Rossborough||September 23, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||11–0||Gian Villante||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce Challengers: Fodor vs. Terry||June 24, 2011||3||5:00||Kent, Washington, United States|
|Win||10–0||Scott Lighty||TKO (punches)||Strikeforce Challengers: Wilcox vs. Damm||April 1, 2011||2||3:15||Stockton, California, United States|
|Win||9–0||Mike Cook||TKO (punches)||MEZ Sports: Pandemonium 4||February 25, 2011||2||3:32||Riverside, California, United States|
|Win||8–0||Hector Carrillo||KO (head kick & punches)||MEZ Sports: Pandemonium 3||November 19, 2010||1||2:57||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Win||7–0||Rick Slaton||KO (punches)||MEZ Sports: Pandemonium 2||September 11, 2010||1||1:06||Riverside, California, United States|
|Win||6–0||Joao Assis||KO (slam)||Respect in the Cage||July 24, 2010||1||1:43||Hollywood, California, United States|
|Win||5–0||Scott Carson||KO (punches)||MEZ Sports: Pandemonium at the Palladium||June 12, 2010||1||2:54||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Win||4–0||Rick Guillen||KO (punches)||Champion Promotions: Clash of the Gladiators 2||May 8, 2010||1||2:30||Palm Springs, California, United States|
|Win||3–0||Mychal Clark||Decision (split)||Respect in the Cage 4||April 17, 2010||3||5:00||Pomona, California, United States|
|Win||2–0||Giovanni Sarran||Decision (unanimous)||Chaos in the Cage 6||February 27, 2010||3||5:00||Lancaster, California, United States|
|Win||1–0||Lateef Williams||KO (elbow)||Fist Series: SummerFist III||August 15, 2009||1||0:40||Irvine, California, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Brown vs. Silva". UFC.com. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- Monsoon Season
- Lorenz Larkin replaces Satoshi Ishii at Strikeforce Challengers 15
- Lorenz Larkin Shines At Strikeforce Challengers 15
- "Strikeforce Challengers 19 headliner Zwicker, prelim fighter Peoples forced out". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- "Strikeforce's 'King Mo' Lawal tests positive for anabolic steroid, fighter denies use". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-01-17.
- "Healy-Hirota, Mein-Stinson, High-Moore Added to Strikeforce ‘Rockhold vs. Kennedy’ Card". sherdog.com. May 30, 2012.
- "Luke Rockhold Expected to Face Lorenz Larkin at Strikeforce on Nov 3". MMA Weekly. September 4, 2012.
- Stupp, Dann (2012-10-12). "Strikeforce cancels Nov. 3 event in Oklahoma City, plans January return". MMAjunkie.com.
- "Luke Rockhold-Lorenz Larkin middleweight title fight targeted for Jan. 12 Strikeforce event". MMA Junkie. November 7, 2012.
- "Middleweight champ Luke Rockhold out of Jan. 12 Strikeforce event". MMA Junkie. November 25, 2012.
- "Strikeforce adds Jacare/Larkin and Healy/Masvidal to January card". The MMA Report. November 29, 2012.
- "UFC Reveals List of Strikeforce Fighters Making Jump to Octagon". sherdog.com. January 16, 2013.
- "Lorenz Larkin makes UFC debut vs. Francis Carmont at UFC on FOX 7 in San Jose". MMAjunkie.com. February 9, 2013.
- "UFC on Fox 7 Results & Live Play-by-Play". sherdog.com. April 20, 2013.
- "UFC on Fox 7 play by play and live results". mmajunkie.com. April 20, 2013.
- "UFC on FOX 7 Play-by-Play". Josh Gross, ESPN. April 20, 2013.
- "UFC on FOX 7 – Live Results". bloodyelbow.com. April 20, 2013.
- John Petit (August 23, 2013). "Chris Camozzi Meets Lorenz Larkin In Kentucky". fighters.com. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- Staff (2014-03-02). "Lorenz Larkin vs. Constantinos Philippou slated for UFC Fight Night 40 in Cincinnati". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- Ken Pishna (2014-06-07). "Derek Brunson vs. Lorenz Larkin Added to UFC 176". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- Staff (2014-07-09). "Danny Castillo-Tony Ferguson, Derek Brunson-Lorenz Larkin moved to UFC 177". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-07-09.