|Preceded by||Dan Newman|
21 October 1961 |
|Portfolio||Deputy Government Whip (2003-2007)|
Lorenzo Berardinetti (born 21 October 1961) is a politician in Ontario, Canada. He is the member of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario for Scarborough Southwest, representing the governing Ontario Liberal Party.
Berardinetti was born and raised in Scarborough, and is a lawyer. He attended the University of Toronto and the University of Windsor Law School, and was called to the Ontario Bar in 1988. On October 25, 2010, Berardinetti's wife Michelle won election as a Toronto City Councillor.
Berardinetti was a councillor in the pre-amalgamation Scarborough Council from 1988 to 1996, and represented Ward 37 (Scarborough Centre) on the amalgamated Toronto City Council from 1997 to 2003. In 1997, he served as chair of Toronto's administration committee, which created the framework for a unified civic administration in the amalgamated city. Berardinetti was generally regarded as an ally of Toronto mayor Mel Lastman during his years on the Toronto council.
In the provincial election of 2003, Berardinetti defeated incumbent Progressive Conservative Dan Newman by about 6,000 votes in Scarborough Southwest. The Liberals won a majority government under Dalton McGuinty in this election, and Berardinetti was appointed the deputy government whip on 23 October 2003. He was re-elected in 2007, 2011, and 2014.
In 2004, he introduced a private member's bill, to outlaw what he called "gender-based pricing," whereby prices for equivalent or similar products and services, such as clothing, dry cleaning and haircuts, may vary between women and men. He contended women were charged much more for many products and services. The bill reached only second reading before it died on the order paper.
|Ontario general election, 2007|
|Progressive Conservative||Gary Crawford||8,363||25.5||-6.2|
|New Democratic||Jay Sarkar||5,920||18.1||+0.2|
|Family Coalition||Wiktor Paawel Borkpwski||398||1.2||-0.4|
|Ontario general election, 2003|
|Progressive Conservative||Dan Newman||11,826||31.71||-8.05|
|New Democratic||Barbara Warner||6,688||17.94||-5.28|
|Family Coalition||Ray Scott||586||1.57||+0.29|
- "Summary of Valid Ballots by Candidate". Elections Ontario. October 2, 2003. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- Rushowy, Kristin (October 4, 2007). "Scarborough Southwest; Liberal and Conservative contenders work toward making a difference in the lives of others". Toronto Star. p. Y10.
- "Summary of Valid Ballots Cast for Each Candidate" (PDF). Elections Ontario. October 10, 2007. p. 14 (xxiii). Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "Summary of Valid Ballots Cast for Each Candidate" (PDF). Elections Ontario. October 6, 2011. p. 16. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "General Election by District: Scarborough Southwest". Elections Ontario. June 12, 2014.
- "Bill 182, Gender-Based Price Discrimination Prohibition Act, 2005". Legislative Assembly of Ontario. April 8, 2005.