Loreto College, Manchester
|Motto||Guiding You To Success|
|Type||Sixth form college|
|Principal||Ms A. Clynch.|
|Local authority||North West LSC (although in Manchester LEA)|
|DfE URN||130503 Tables|
Loreto College is a sixth form college catering primarily for Roman Catholics in the 16-18 age range and young people of different faiths whose beliefs are consonant with its key values of freedom, justice, sincerity, truth and joy. The key values derive from the educational philosophy of Mary Ward, a 16th-century Englishwoman, who founded the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the order of nuns who started the college in 1851.
Loreto College was rated as "Outstanding in every respect" Ofsted 2010.
Loreto College has also achieved the AoC Beacon Schools Award.
The college has had 5 students gaining places on the prestigious Prime Minister's Global Fellowship programme. It achieved its first student in the inaugural year, 2008.
Based on ALP's analysis between 2011 and 2013 (Advanced Level Performance) Loreto College has been placed in the top 1% of college's nationally.
Highest A-Level Results of any Manchester College.
Loreto is ranked as the first sixth form college in the country for value added, according to Government legal tables, three years on the run.
Some 28 Loreto Students have places at Oxford & Cambridge Universities.
Manchester Evening News named Loreto as "The Best in Britain".
Ofsted recognizes that the majority of students achieve Grades A & B at advanced level.
The college campus was redeveloped from 2002 to 2010 when three buildings were constructed. The campus has two smaller buildings, the Chapel which is home to the Art & Design Department and a sports hall. Most of learning faculties are situated in three main buildings on the campus.
- Ball Building - Theology, Business Studies, Accounting, Economics, Modern Foreign Languages, Travel & Tourism, History, Politics, Classical Civilizations & Sciences (Biology, Chemistry & Physics).
- Portable Buildings - Mathematics (New building being built for Mathematics - St. Joseph's).
- Ward Building - Sociology, Law, Health & Social Care & Psychology.
- Sports Hall - Physical Education.
- Ellis & Kennedy Building - Library, Graphics, 3D Design, Photography, Media Studies, Film Studies, Music, Music Technology, Drama, Dance, English Language, English Literature, ICT, Computing & Geography.
- Chapel & Creative Arts Building - Art & Design, Textiles.
Loreto College is an oversubscribed college and a priority system exists for applications. Approximately 52% of the students at Loreto College are Roman Catholic but the college is open to all faiths who share the same values of Excellence, Freedom, Internationality, Justice, Sincerity, Truth and Joy.
The hierarchy of priority is:
- Pupils from Roman Catholic partnership schools across Greater Manchester (guaranteed a place).
- Pupils from other Roman Catholic Schools.
- Pupils from Trinity Church of England High Schools.
- Roman Catholic pupils at Non-Religious Schools.
- Pupils from all other Schools.
Pupils studying at Roman Catholic partnership schools in Greater Manchester are guaranteed a place at Loreto if they wish to go. The seventeen Roman Catholic partnership schools are (in order of proximity to Loreto College) are as follows; Loreto Chorlton (South Manchester), St Peter’s (South Manchester), The Barlow (South Manchester), St Paul’s (South Manchester), Our Lady's (South Manchester), St Matthew’s (North Manchester), Our Lady’s (North Manchester), St Ambrose Barlow (Salford), St George’s (Salford), Blessed Thomas Holford (Trafford), St John Vianney (Trafford), St Patrick’s (Trafford), St Monica’s (Bury), St Damian’s (Tameside), St Thomas More (Tameside), St Philip Howard (Derbyshire).
Notable people associated with Loreto
- Chris Bisson - Actor
- Michael Johnson - Footballer currently playing for Manchester City
- Micah Richards - Footballer currently playing for Manchester City
- Jason Manford - Comedian
- John Harris - The Guardian Columnist
- John Leech - Member of Parliament for Manchester Withington Constituency
- Karl Lucas - Actor/Comedian
- Michaela Morgan - Author
- Matthew Williamson - Fashion Designer
- ""Outstanding in every respect." OFSTED 2010". Loreto College. Retrieved 2011-09-26.
- "The college that gets 11-plus 'failures' into Oxbridge. How?". The Guardian. 11 February 2014. Retrieved 2014-02-13.
- "Apply to Loreto". Loreto College. Retrieved 2011-09-26.
- "Sport at Loreto"
- "Comedian Jason Manford escapes high-speed tyre blow-out". Manchester Evening News. 16 June 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-26.
- "John Leech - FAQs". john-leech.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-09-26.
- "Pete Postlethwaite OBE". loreto.ac.uk. 5 January 2010. Retrieved 6 January 2010.