||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (August 2011)|
Loretta Napoleoni (born 1955) is an Italian journalist and political analyst. She is an expert on the financing of terrorism and is known for having calculated the size of the terror economy.
Life and career
Napoleoni was born and raised in Rome, Italy. An active member of the feminist movement in the mid 1970s, she was a Fulbright scholar at Johns Hopkins University's Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) in Washington, D.C., and a Rotary Scholar at the London School of Economics (LSE). She has a M.Phil. in Terrorism from East London, a Master's in International Relations from SAIS.
As an economist Napoleoni has worked for several banks and international organizations in Europe and the United States. In the early 1980s she worked at the National Bank of Hungary on the convertibility of the Hungarian forint that became the blue print for the convertibility of the ruble a decade later.
As well as lecturing regularly[where?] on the financing of terrorism, Napoleoni advises several governments[which?] on counter-terrorism. As chairman of the counter terrorism financing group for the Club de Madrid, she brought heads of state from around the world together to create a new strategy for combatting the financing of terror networks.
She is a member of the scientific committee of the Fundación Ideas para el Progreso Spain's Socialist Party's think tank and she is partner of Oxfam Italia. From 2007 to 2010 she has been Director of the first Italian investigative journalism course and presented her book at Cambridge University's Judge Business School.
Napoleoni's writing appears regularly in many journals and publications, including several European newspapers. She has worked as a foreign correspondent and columnist for several Italian financial papers.[clarification needed][where?] She was among the few people to interview the Red Brigades in Italy after three decades of silence.[where?]
Napoleoni has written novels, guide books in Italian and translated and edited books on terrorism. Her best-selling book Terror Incorporated was translated into 12 languages, Dossier Baghdad is a financial thriller set during the Persian Gulf War, and she has also published a nonfiction book about Iraq: Insurgent Iraq: Al-Zarqawi and the New Generation. Rogue Economics, was published in 2008 by Seven Stories Press in the US, and by Turnaround in the UK. Her most recent book in English 10 Years That Shook The World: A Timeline of Events from 2001 was published as an e-book by Seven Stories Press on 6 September 2011 to mark the tenth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. It covers issues as diverse as financial policy, advances in science and technology, new economic policies, propaganda, environmental issues and the revolutionary powers of social media.
Her forthcoming book is called Maonomics: Why Chinese Communists Make Better Capitalists Than We Do. The Italian edition of Maonomics won the 2010 Premio dell'Associazione per il Progresso Economico award.
Loretta also writes articles for newspapers and journals including El Pais, Le Monde, The Guardian, Il Venerdi di Repubblica, l'Espresso, l'Unità, Il Caffè and Wired Italia.
One such article appeared in L'Osservatore Romano: ”Dalla finanza islamica proposte e idee per l'Occidente in crisi” (Subtitle: An alternative mechanism for basic credit with an ethical code, .. di credito basati su un codice etico.) in which she recommends the Vatican to consider Sharia compliant loans. She thinks that ”In islamic finance ... there is no speculation." Source: ZDFinfo (German TV channel; YouTube)
- Napoleoni, Loretta (2005). Terror incorporated : tracing the dollars behind the terror networks (1st U.S. ed.). New York: Seven Stories Press. ISBN 9781583226735.
- — (2005). Insurgent Iraq : Al Zarqawi and the new generation (1. North American ed.). New York: Seven Stories Press. ISBN 978-1583227053.
- — (2008). Rogue economics : capitalism's new reality (A Seven Stories Press 1st ed.). New York: Seven Stories Press. ISBN 978-1583228241.
- — (2010). Terrorism and the economy : how the war on terror is bankrupting the world (1st English language ed.). New York: Seven Stories Press. ISBN 978-1583228951.
- — (2011). 10 years that shook the world a timeline of events from 2001 (Seven stories press 1st ed.). New York: Seven Stories Press. ISBN 9781609804121.
- — (2011). Maonomics : why chinese communists make better capitalists than we do. Translated by Stephen Twilley; foreword by Greg Palast. Crawley, W.A.: UWA Publishing. ISBN 9781742582924.
- "Incontri con Loretta Napoleoni". Oxfam Italia. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- [dead link]
- "Loretta Napoleoni, Author, Economist & Political Analyst: Terrorism and global economies | News, knowledge and insight". Jbs.cam.ac.uk. 2010-07-08. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "May Europe's multicultural new generation succeed where we failed". Guardian.co.uk. January 3, 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- Goodman, Amy. "Italian Writer Loretta Napoleoni on the Amman Triple Bombing, How the U.S. Helped Create Zarqawi and the Terror Financing Network - Interview". Democracynow.org. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "The Third International Symposium on Global Drug Policy: Paris 2004 - Guest Speaker". The Senlis Council. Senliscouncil.net. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "Universal Forum of Cultures Speaker Search - Guest Speaker". Forum Barcelona 2004. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- Buchanan, Michael. "London bombs cost just hundreds BBC online news article - Interview". News.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- Cowell, Alan. "OFF THE SHELF; Terrorism's Cost in a Global Economy - Review". Newyorktimes.com. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "Special Report Security and Terrorism Rapid rise of the economy of terror". Guardian.co.uk. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "Dateline, Loretta Napoleoni Interview". News.sbs.com.au. Retrieved 2007-11-15.
- "Four Corners, Loretta Napoleoni Interview". Abc.net.au. Retrieved 2007-11-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Loretta Napoleoni.|
- Official website
- The Value of Human Rights,Constitutional Rights,and of the Rule of Law
- Democracy Now! Loretta Napoleoni interview (03/2008)
- Democracy Now! Loretta Napoleoni interview (11/2005)
- Audio: Loretta Napoleoni in conversation on the BBC World Service discussion show The Forum
- The intricate economics of terrorism TED (conference)