Lori Baratta born November 2, (year unstated) in New Jersey, is a popular fantasy and decorative realist American painter and illustrator. Her career began in the early 1990s and her artwork has been featured on books, magazines, t-shirts, ceramic tiles, stained glass housewares, candles, jewelry, notecards, rubber stamps and many other items.
Baratta grew up in Cranford, New Jersey. Her appreciation for art started as a child, when her mother would take her to art galleries during their travels, but it was not until she became an adult that she started to paint and draw. Her paintings and illustrations reflect many assorted themes of family, friends, animals, holidays and spirituality and her interest in subject matter runs the gamut from landscapes to wildlife. She also paints lifesize realistic still lifes using some of the antique items which can be found in her home.
Her art has been used on the covers of magazines, catalogs and book covers, and is licensed to companies, who offer her designs on a diverse array of products including cross stitch patterns, ceramic tiles, T-shirts and Note Cards. She has also written several, instructional “How To Paint” projects for art and craft magazines. She also runs an animal donation program through her own fine art business, donating a portion of proceeds from commissions, to help benefit homeless and injured animals awaiting adoptions, in no kill animal shelters.
Basically self-taught, she started painting in acrylics on wood and later took courses in watercolor and oils, while also studying the techniques of pen and ink, pencils, pastels and gouache. Her commercial work has been reviewed favorably, in national trade publications with some of the attention being focused on the rich symbolism in some of her spiritual and mythical designs. Her commissioned portraits reside in private homes and in public and governmental collections. Her largest commissioned portrait work of governmental dignitaries and famous residents hangs in Carteret Borough Hall, Carteret, New Jersey.
She designs for various companies across the US and her most recent decorative designs have been included for use on flower seed packet favors for parties and events.
Lori Baratta and her husband live in an historic home in a very rural area of the Catskills in upstate New York. Her art and their home has been featured in an assortment of colonial and country decorating magazines.
- Front cover book design, “The Wicca Handbook” isbn 1578631351
- Front cover book design, “A Witches Book of Answers”
- Front Cover, “Typical Day In The Life Of A Crafter”
- Front Cover, Ladyslipper Music Catalog
- Front Cover, “ Lone Wolf” Inner Realm Magazine
- Front Cover & Interior Illustrations for “ I'm a Bush-Republican Because.. The 72 Best Reasons ”
- Front Cover, “Auriel” Take-Care Connections
- Front Cover, “Nightwatch” Take-Care Connections
- Front Cover & Interior Illustrations for “Hey Doc, Does Spelling Count?”
- Interior illustrations "Pagan Imagination: Special Edition: Art and Poetry"
- Official fantasy website of Lori Baratta
- Official decorative art website of Lori Baratta
- Official fine art and portrait website of Lori Baratta
- Seed Packet Favors with Lori Baratta’s Designs