30 October 1962 |
|Feminist philosophy, Animal ethics, Political philosophy|
Lori Gruen (born 1962 in Chicago, Illinois) is a feminist philosopher who works at the intersections of ethical theory and ethical practice, with a particular focus on issues that impact those often overlooked in traditional ethical investigations, e.g. women, people of color, non-human animals. She has taught at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Lafayette College, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Stanford University and is currently Professor of Philosophy, Feminist, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, and Environmental Studies at Wesleyan University. She also co-coordinates Wesleyan Animal Studies.
Gruen is the author of the recently published Ethics and Animals: An Introduction. She also created the memorial for the first 100 chimpanzees used in research in the US: first100chimps.wesleyan.edu.
- Gruen, Lori; Singer, Peter (1987). Animal liberation: a graphic guide. London: Camden Press.
- Gruen, Lori; Panichas, George E. (1997). Sex, morality and the law. New York: Routledge.
- Gruen, Lori (2011). Ethics and animals. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Gruen, Lori; Jamieson, Dale; Schlottmann, Christopher (2012). Reflecting on nature: readings in environmental ethics and philosophy (2nd ed.). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Gruen, Lori (1990), "Gendered knowledge? Examining influences on scientific and ethological inquiries", in Bekoff, M.; Jamieson, D., Interpretation and explanation in the study of animal behavior, Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press, pp. 56–73.
- Reprinted in M. Bekoff & D. Jamieson (eds.), Studies in Animal Cognition (Cambridge: MIT Press, 1996) pp. 17-27.
- Gruen, Lori (1991), "Animals", in Singer, P., A companion to ethics, Oxford: Basil Blackwell, pp. 343–353.
- Reprinted in L. Gruen & D. Jamieson (eds.), Reflecting on Nature (New York: Oxford University Press, 1994) pp. 281-290.
- Translated into Norwegian and reprinted in Lisa Galmark(ed.) Djur & Måniskor (Nya Doxa, 1997).
- Gruen, Lori (1992), "Animals in science: some areas revisited", in Bekoff, M. et al., Animal behaviour, pp. 473–484.
- Gruen, Lori (1993), "Re-valuing nature", in Winkler, E.; Coombs, J., An applied ethics reader, Oxford: Basil Blackwell, pp. 293–312.
- Reprinted in K. Warren (ed.) Ecological Feminism: Multidisciplinary Perspectives (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1995).
- Gruen, Lori (1993), "Dismantling oppression: an analysis of the connection between women and animals", in Gaard, Greta, Ecofeminism: women, animals, nature, Philadelphia: Temple University Press, pp. 60–90.
- Reprinted in A. Jaggar (ed.), Living With Contradictions (Boulder: Westview Press, 1994) pp. 537-548.
- Gruen, Lori (1994), "Toward an ecofeminist moral epistemology", in Warren, K., Ecological feminism, New York: Routledge, pp. 120–138.
- Gruen, Lori; Cuomo, Chris (1997), "Animals, intimacy, and moral distance", in Bar, A.; Ferguson, A., Daring to be good, New York: Routledge, pp. 129–142.
- Gruen, Lori (2002), "The morals of animal minds", in Allen, C.; Bekoff, M.; Burghardt, G., The cognitive animal, Cambridge, Massachusetts: MIT Press, pp. 437–442.
- Gruen, Lori (2003), "The moral status of animals", in (online), Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Revised 2010.
- Gruen, Lori (2004), "Empathy and vegetarian commitments", in Sapontzis, S., Food for thought: the debate over eating meat, New York: Prometheus Press, pp. 284–294.
- Reprinted in Adams, C.; Donovan, J. (2007). The feminist care tradition in animal ethics. New York: Columbia. pp. 333–344.
- Gruen, Lori (2005), "Pornography and censorship", in Frey, R.G.; Heath Wellman, Christopher, A companion to applied ethics, Blackwell Companions to Philosophy, Oxford, UK Malden, Massachusetts: Blackwell Publishing, pp. 154–166, doi:10.1002/9780470996621.ch12, ISBN 9781405133456.
- Gruen, Lori (2009), "The faces of animal oppression", in Ferguson, A.; Nagel, M., Dancing with Iris: Between phenomenology and the body politic in the political philosophy of Iris Marion Young, New York: Oxford University Press, pp. 225–237.
- Gruen, Lori (2012), "Navigating difference (again): animal ethics and entangled empathy", in Zucker, G., Strangers to nature: animal lives and human ethics, New York: Lexington Books.
- Gruen, Lori; Loo, Clement (2012), "Climate change and food justice", in di Paola, M.; Pelligrino, G., Ethics and politics of climate change, Routledge.
- Gruen, Lori; Gaard, Greta (1993). "Ecofeminism: toward global justice and planetary health". Society and Nature 2 (1): 1–35.
- Reprinted in L. Pojman and P. Pojman (eds.) Environmental Ethics: Readings in Theory and Applications (Wadsworth Publishing, 2011)
- Reprinted in A. Light and H. Rolston III (eds.) Environmental Ethics: An Anthology (Oxford: Blackwell, 2002)
- Reprinted in M. Zimmerman, et. al (eds.) Environmental Philosophy: From Animal Rights to Radical Ecology (4th edition) (New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, 2004).
- Gruen, Lori; Bekoff, Marc (1993). "Animal welfare and individual characteristics: a conversation against speciesism". Ethics & Behavior (Taylor & Francis) 3 (2): 163–175. doi:10.1207/s15327019eb0302_2.
- Gruen, Lori (Fall 2009). "Attending to nature: empathetic engagement with the more than human world". Ethics and the Environment, special issue: Ecofeminism, in Honor of Val Plumwood (Indiana University Press via JSTOR) 14 (2): 23–38. JSTOR 10.2979/ETE.2009.14.2.23.
- Glass, E. "Introducing Lori Gruen". CUNY The Committee for Interdisciplinary Science Studies. CUNY Graduate Center. Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- "Lori Gruen PhD". Weslyan University. Lori Gruen. Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- Gorman, James. "Animal Studies Cross Campus to Lecture Hall". Science. The New York Times. Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- "Biography of Lori Gruen". Lori Gruen. Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- Gorman, Lin, Louttit, James, Thomas, Meghan (2011-11-14). "Chimpanzee Stories". New York Times. Retrieved 29 April 2012.