18 July 1938 |
Rochford, England, UK
|Known for||genetic and molecular analysis of mushrooms|
Lorna Ann Casselton CBE FRS (née Smith; born 18 July 1938, Rochford) is Emeritus Professor of Fungal Genetics in the Department of Plant Science at the University of Oxford, and is known for her genetic and molecular analysis of the mushroom Coprinus cinereus and Coprinus lagopus. She was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2012 Birthday Honours for services to fungal genetic and international science.
Casselton began her career in lecturing and research as an assistant lecturer at Royal Holloway College in London. She was Professor of Genetics at Queen Mary, University of London from 1989–91 and was later awarded an AFRC/BBSRC Postdoctoral Fellowship, followed by a BBSRC Senior Research Fellowship in 1995.
Casselton was a Fellow of St Cross College Oxford from 1993–2003, and was appointed Professor of Fungal Genetics at Oxford in 1997. Her specialism is Sexual Development in Fungi. She was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1999. She was a Fellow of St Cross College, Oxford from 1993 to 2003, and has been an Honorary Fellow of St Hilda's College, Oxford since 2000. She was a member of the Royal Society's Council from 2002–2003, and rejoined the Council in 2006 as Vice President and Foreign Secretary, replacing Professor Dame Julia Higgins. She became a Member of the Academia Europaea in 2008, and was awarded an Honorary Doctor of Science of University College London in September 2010.
As Foreign Secretary of the Royal Society, Casselton has given the Royal Society Rutherford Lecture in South Africa and the Blackett Lecture in India, travelling to 27 different countries during three and a half years in office.
She married Peter John Casselton in 1961, divorcing him in 1978. She married William Joseph Dennis Tollett in 1981.
- Casselton, L. A.; Olesnicky, N. S. (1998). "Molecular genetics of mating recognition in basidiomycete fungi". Microbiology and molecular biology reviews : MMBR 62 (1): 55–70. PMC 98906. PMID 9529887.
- http://royalsociety.org/people/lorna-casselton/ Casselton's biography on the Royal Society website
- Lewis, D.; Casselton, L. A. (1975). "Missense suppression in Coprinus lagopus associated with a chromosome duplication". Journal of general microbiology 88 (1): 20–26. PMID 1097583.
- Casselton, L. A.; Lewis, D. (1966). "Compatibility and stability of diploids in Coprinus lagopus". Genetical research 8 (1): 61–72. PMID 5947646.
- Casselton, L. A.; Jones, D. A. (2012). "Dan Lewis. 30 December 1910 -- 30 September 2009". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. doi:10.1098/rsbm.2011.0023.
- The London Gazette: . 16 June 2012.
- "Plant Sciences Staff Professor Lorna A. Casselton". Archived from the original on 2012-02-28.
- Staff. "Honorary Graduates of UCL". University College London. Retrieved 2012-10-23.