Lorraine (TV programme)
|Presented by||Lorraine Kelly
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Location(s)||The London Studios,
London, England, United Kingdom
|Running time||55 minutes
|Production company(s)||ITV Breakfast
|Original channel||ITV (ITV Breakfast slot)|
|Original run||6 September 2010– present|
|Preceded by||GMTV with Lorraine|
Lorraine is the early weekday morning, lifestyle and entertainment show for ITV, presented by Lorraine Kelly with Kate Garraway as Lorraine's deputy presenter and sole presenter when Lorraine is away. ITV Breakfast produces Lorraine, which airs every weekday from 08:30 until 09:25, following Daybreak. The programme replaced Kelly's previous show, GMTV with Lorraine.
Each day the presenter gives a brief introduction describing what's coming up on the show, before discussing the main stories from the morning's newspapers with a male and female reviewer. On Fridays this is replaced by a showbiz update from Dan Wootton and a Los Angeles update from Ross King. The show's first guest(s) tends to be interviewed next aside from Mondays which feature Lorraine Investigates with Craig Doyle, Wednesdays which feature fashion from Mark Heyes and Thursdays which feature money-saving advice from Martin Lewis. A summary of the days news is shown at 09:00 from the Daybreak studio, presented by Ranvir Singh. The chef who is appearing that week then cooks their dish for the day in "Lorraine's Kitchen", before the final guest(s) makes their appearance. The competition that runs on Daybreak also appears throughout the show. The programme is sponsored by local supermarket chain Spar. Previous sponsors have included Garnier, Actimel and Jergens Naturals.
The first edition of Lorraine aired on Monday 6 September 2010. A preview on Daybreak revealed the new studio look as spacious and vibrantly coloured in a variety of pastel hues and decorative motifs dominated by pink. The sofa for the presenter and guests is pink and arranged in a semicircle around a central internally lit coffee table similar to that used for Daybreak. Lorraine's first guest was actress Gemma Arterton. The first programme also featured an interview with Sarah Parish and a recipe by TV chef James Tanner while Celia Walden and Kevin Maguire reviewed the morning's newspapers.
Crossover with Daybreak
There is a preview of the day's edition of Lorraine on Daybreak each day at around 07:30 with a chat between the programmes' hosts prior to a handover at 08:30. This preview was originally shown at 08:15 but was moved to an earlier slot in March 2011. On 30 November 2010, Daybreak co-host Adrian Chiles wore a kilt and make an on-screen visit to the Lorraine studio to congratulate Kelly on her birthday and mark St Andrew's Day. On 20 July 2011, Lorraine was presented from the Daybreak studio due to technical problems.
- On 9 December 2010, Lorraine was presented live on Coronation Street to celebrate Corrie's 50th anniversary
- From 27–31 December 2010, Lorraine was pre-recorded, with Kelly presenting links to items from previous transmissions.
- On 29 April 2011, Lorraine was not broadcast because of the ITV coverage of the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton.
- On 30 May 2011, Los Angeles correspondent Ross King presented a pre-recorded edition of Lorraine from LA.
- On 20 July 2011, Lorraine was presented from the Daybreak studio due to technical problems with a commercial break inserted in place of the handover to allow for the changeover.
- On 8 September 2011, Lorraine Kelly presented a pre-recorded special on the September 11 attacks in New York to mark the ten-year anniversary.
- From 9 September 2011 until 21 October 2011, Lorraine was not broadcast on occasions, this is due to the ITV Sport produced coverge of the 2011 Rugby World Cup.
- From 26–30 December 2011, 2 January 2012, 24-28 December 2012, and 31 December 2012-4 January 2013, Daybreak and Lorraine were both not broadcast, instead CITV and films were broadcast during the ITV Breakfast timeslot.
- Lorraine Kelly had been unable to present her show due to a horse accident on 21 February 2012, guest presenters then presented her show instead, and after recovering she returned on 16 April 2012.
- On 7 May 2012, Ross King again presented the programme, live from Los Angeles with an entertainment focus.
- On 5 June 2012, Lorraine was not broadcast because of the ITV coverage of the Diamond Jubilee of Elizabeth II.
- From 3 September 2012, the studio set was refreshed to reflect the warmer colour scheme of the new logo and graphics. The previously pink sofa is now orange, and orange coloured lighting now illuminates the previously frosted/pastel panels of the backdrop.
- From September 2013, a brand new circular pink logo and title sequence were introduced.
On air team
On 31 August 2010 it was announced Lorraine Kelly would be contracted to present the programme from Monday to Thursday whilst a guest presenter would appear each Friday and her absence.
On 28 August 2012 it was understood Kelly would now additionally present sister programme Daybreak from Monday to Thursday, with Kate Garraway her deputy and presenting in place of Kelly each Friday.
- Previous TV ads Actimel
- Sarah Parish in pictures Lorraine, ITV.com, 6 September 2010
- Celia Walden Lorraine, ITV.com, 5 September 2010[dead link]
- Kevin Maguire Lorraine, ITV.com, 5 September 2010[dead link]
- Robert McAulay It's Kelly-bration time for Lorraine The Sun, 1 December 2010
- Lorraine Kelly in hospital after falling from horse Donna Bowater, Telegraph, 22 February 2012
- Lorraine Kelly opens up about shock horse riding accident Kimberley Dadds, Daily Mail, 9 March 2012
- Lorraine Presspack ITV.com, 31 August 2010
- New presenters announced for ITV's Daybreak ITV News, 4 May 2012
- Lorraine Kelly, Aled Jones unveiled as new hosts of Daybreak Paul Millar, Digital Spy, 4 May 2012
- Daybreak relaunch: Lorraine Kelly, Aled Jones start on September 3 Kate Goodacre, Digital Spy, 23 August 2012
- Daybreak Kate's 'special offer' website dream turns sour Richard Kay, Daily Mail, 3 August 2012
- Daybreak ITV Press Centre, 28 August 2012