Los Angeles City College
|Los Angeles City College|
cir. 1922 picture, campus of UCLA
|President||Reneé D. Martinez|
855 N. Vermont Avenue
Los Angeles City College, known as LACC, is a public community college in East Hollywood, Los Angeles, California. A part of the Los Angeles Community College District, it is located on Vermont Avenue south of Santa Monica Boulevard. LACC offers university transferable courses.
The college also offers a program known as The Theater Academy, a block program for students pursuing acting, technical side of theater, or costume design.
LACC occupies the former campus of the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).
One of nine separate college campuses of the Los Angeles Community College District, the LACC campus was originally a farm outside of Los Angeles, owned by Dennis Sullivan. When the Pacific Electric Interurban Railroad connected downtown Los Angeles and Hollywood in 1909, the area began to develop rapidly. In 1914, the LA Board of Education moved the teacher's Normal School to the site. The Italian Romanesque campus became what is now the University of California, Los Angeles in 1919. In need of more space, UCLA moved to its present location in 1929 and the LA Board of Education bought the site for $700,000. On September 9, 1929, Los Angeles Junior College opened its doors for the first time with over 1,300 students and 54 teachers. It later changed its name to Los Angeles City College.
- California Community Colleges System
- Community, an NBC comedy series which shoots on the LACC campus
- "Friend, Larry". jewsinsports.org. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- Gheorghiu, Cristian (July 5, 2012). "KCET interview". www.kcet.org. Retrieved July 8, 2012.
- Woo, Elaine. "Albert L. Gordon dies at 94; attorney fought for gay rights", Los Angeles Times, September 6, 2009. Accessed September 9, 2009.
- Kaufman, Dave (1968). TV 69: Who's Who, What's What in the New TV Season (mass market paperback). New York: Signet. p. 130.
- Department of the Army, Army Executive Biographies, 1985, page 435
- "Actress Irene Tsu, an LACC Alum, Talks to LACC Cinema Students About her Film Career", Los Angeles City College News, December 1, 2006
- "Community Comes to LACC", Hijo de E-Ho website