Los Cerritos, Long Beach, California
Los Cerritos - Virginia Country Club is an affluent neighborhood of Long Beach with approximately 700 homes and 2,000 residents located in Bixby Knolls, Long Beach, United States. Established in 1906, Los Cerritos - Virginia Country Club Neighborhood has long served the film industry of Los Angeles for its All-American atmosphere and historic, estate-sized homes. It was one of three finalists in the 2007 Neighborhood of the Year national competition.
In 1920, Thomas Gilchrist, an Oklahoma oilman, purchased 10 acres (4.0 ha) along La Linda Drive and subdivided them into a development called La Linda, Spanish for "the pretty." In 1929, 20th century architect Kirtland Cutter designed three award-winning homes in the Los Cerritos Neighborhood.
In 1985, a home on Country Club Drive in the Los Cerritos neighborhood was used as the Bueller family home in the 1986 comedy film Ferris Bueller's Day Off and subsequently used in the 2001 comedy film Not Another Teen Movie, the 2002 thriller film Red Dragon, and in a Cheerios commercial. In 1998, two homes on Cedar Avenue in the Los Cerritos neighborhood were used in the 1999 teen comedy film American Pie. In August 2000, a home on Country Club Drive different than the 'Ferris Bueller home' was used as the fictional home for the teenager Donnie Darko in the 2001 drama/psychological thriller/science fiction film Donnie Darko.
Northwest view of the Los Cerritos house used in the 2001 drama/psychological thriller/science fiction film Donnie Darko as the fictional family home for the teenager Donnie Darko. The house also appeared in an episode of the 2003-2005 American television fantasy/family drama Joan of Arcadia as part of a house party scene. It was also used as the backdrop for an advertising campign for Honda's freshman economy car the Fit. The spots wete featured in ebay.com
- Then & Now, Los Cerritos Neighborhood Centennial October 7, 2006. Accessed March 16, 2008.
- La Linda Dr, Long Beach, CA
- Lachnit, Carroll. (May 2, 1999) Long Beach Press-Telegram Spotlighting Cutter's California Style Architecture. Section: Lifestyle; Page J3.
- Gonzaga, Samantha. (August 10, 2007) Long Beach Press-Telegram Are our houses getting too big? Section: News; page 4A.
- Country Club Dr, Long Beach
- Grobary, Tim. (November 27, 2001) Long Beach Press-Telegram What's up: A month to remember. Section: Local News. Page A1.
- Grobaty, Tim. (February 21, 2003) Long Beach Press-Telegram What's Up:Filmers stay for the Pie. Section: Locan news. Page A2.
- Grobaty, Tim. (March 6, 2001) Long Beach Press-Telegram What's Up: L.B. Gets a Big Slab of Pie. Section: Locan news, page A2.
- Grobaty, Tim. (March 8, 2004) Long Beach Press-Telegram What's Up: Is your pad a movie house? Section: News, page A2.
- Grobaty, Tim. (May 9, 2006) Long Beach Press-Telegram What's Hot! Showtime for your house? Section News, Page A2.
- City of Long Beach press release.
- Andriesse, (Summer 1987) "Los Cerritos: The Development of a Neighborhood," The Branded Word (newsletter of the Rancho Los Cerritos Historic Site).
- Knatz, Geraldine. (2004) History of the Los Cerritos neighborhood. (as noted in Preservation Honored.)
- Fugami, Caryn. (October 19, 2005) Long Beach Press-Telegram Morrison: Jewel of L.B. Section: News; page A12.