Los Osos High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2009)|
|Los Osos High School|
|Principal||Ms. Susan Petrocelli|
|Color(s)||Blue & Gold|
|Rival||Rancho Cucamonga High School|
|Newspaper||The Grizzly Gazette (official)
The Alternative (independent)
|Website||Los Osos High School|
Los Osos High School is one of eight public schools in the Chaffey Joint Union High School District. LOHS is located in the city of Rancho Cucamonga in Southern California's Inland Empire in the United States. On October 25, 2013, Los Osos football players started a riot with rival Rancho Cucamonga High School ending with a pepper-spraying incident from local police.
Students graduating from Los Osos have been accepted to and gone on to attend some of the most prestigious colleges and universities in the United States. In 2007, Los Osos earned an Academic Performance Index of 826, the highest score out of all high schools in San Bernardino County and the Inland Empire. In 2010, Los Osos achieved an API Score of 840, an increase from previous years' scores.
In November 2007, US News & World Report's newly installed "Best High Schools 2008" ranking awarded Los Osos a Silver Medal, the equivalent of Top 500 in the nation out of a selection pool of roughly 18,790 public institutions. Los Osos was the only comprehensive high school in San Bernardino County to receive such an honor. The selection criteria was based on a combination of promise and challenge, overall academic quality, and college readiness.
The 2007-08 school year featured three National Merit Scholars amongst the class of 2008.
Band and Color Guard
Marching Band and Color Guard is a 4 time winner of Las Vegas invitaional 2008 SCSBOA 5A champions 50th annual chaffey tournament winner, a 2 time rowland highschool field show, and a winner sierra vista jazz champions national recognition playing on uss midway In 2011, the Los Osos Band and Color Guard managed 2nd place at the SCSBOA tournament. In 2012, the Los Osos Band and Color Guard won the SCSBOA tournament with 1st place.
The band and color guard attends football games, performances, tournaments, and parades, including Disneyland, Las Vegas, and more.
In the 2009-2010 school year, the speech and debate team had four National Qualifiers, and two members of the team made elimination rounds at Nationals in the same year. In 2010-2011, the school had three Southern California Champions and four National Qualifiers.
- Richard Brehaut, UCLA quarterback
- Nichkhun Buck Horvejkul, Thai-American entertainer, member of the South Korean boy band 2PM.
- Addison Reed, Major League Baseball pitcher for the Chicago White Sox
- Kendall Williams, University of New Mexico starting point guard
Women's Water Polo - 2009 &2012 Mens Roller Hockey - 2002-2006 National Champions 2005
Notes and references
- "2007 Growth API School Report - Los Osos High". Api.cde.ca.gov. 2008-08-20. Retrieved 2009-08-09.
- "Los Osos High: Best High Schools - USNews.com". USNews.com<!. Retrieved 2009-08-09.
- "What Matters Most in Measuring - US News and World Report". Usnews.com. 2007-11-29. Retrieved 2009-08-09.
- http://nflnationals.org/book/ List of NFL Entries for the National Tournament
- "AsianFanatics Forum > 2PM - Nichkhun Horvejkul". Asianfanatics.net. Retrieved 2009-08-09.