Los Tres Ojos
Los Tres Ojos (The Three Eyes in English) is the name given to a 50-Yard open-air limestone cave located in the Mirador del Este park, in the Santo Domingo Este municipality of the Dominican Republic. A series of three lakes, or ojos, the site is currently one of the most visited tourist attractions in the country. The caves are open from 9 am to 5 pm, and are illuminated at night by a myriad of colored lights.
The site was created centuries ago as a result of tectonic fractures when underground caves collapsed, forming a bowl-shaped depression which subsequently filled with water. Initially, the cave was inhabited by the indigenous Taíno Indians who were the first inhabitants of the Hispaniola island. The three lakes are called "Aguas Azufradas" (discovered in 1916), "La Nevera" and "El Lago de las Mujeres". Some of the lakes also have openings on the outside. A staircase cut into the rock gives access to the first cave. A boat pulls visitors across the second lake.
The caves are fed by water from an underground river and surrounded by stalactites and stalagmites. The composition of the water varies. The two ponds are respectively made of sulphurous water and salt water, while the large lake is composed of freshwater. Their temperature varies between 20°C to 29°C, depending on the site, and their various depths give rise to different coloured reflections, blue, green, and sometimes yellow. The fauna is also very varied and includes fish, bats and turtles. Surrounding vegetation is lush and abundant. The depth of the lake remains unknown.
- Los Tres Ojos, Destination 360 Destination360.com Retrieved 21 June 2009
- (French) République Dominicaine, Visites Karavel.com Retrieved 21 June 2009
- Dominican Republic and Haiti, Paul Clammer, Michael Grosberg, Jens Porup, 2008, p. 87
- Cueva de los Tres Ojos/Three Eyes Cave, Viva Travel Guides, Christopher Minster Vivatravelguides.com Retrieved 21 June 2009
- (Spanish) Parque Nacional Los Tres Ojos Hoteles.com Retrieved 21 June 2009
- (French) Visite de la grotte los tres ojos Entre2voyages.com Retrieved 21 June 2009
- (French) République Dominicaine ABC-latina.com Retrieved 21 June 2009
- (French) "La République Dominicaine", Échappées belles, France 5, broadcast on 3 February 2007 France5.tr Retrieved 21 June 2009
- (French) Description Los Tres Ojos Cityzeum.com Retrieved 21 June 2009
- Explore the Dominican Republic, Harry S. Pariser, 1998, p.137-38
- Culture and customs of the Dominican Republic, Isabel Zakrzewski Brown, 1999, p. 10
- Los Tres Ojos travel guide