loscil playing live at MUTEK 2004
|Birth name||Scott Morgan|
|Origin||Vancouver, BC, Canada|
|Years active||1998 to present|
loscil' is the electronic/ambient music project of Scott Morgan, from Vancouver, BC. The name Loscil is taken from the "looping oscillator" function (loscil) in Csound. Scott Morgan was also the drummer for the Vancouver indie band Destroyer.
A self-released album titled A New Demonstration of Thermodynamic Tendencies caught the attention of experimental music label Kranky, who signed Morgan on to release his debut album Triple Point in 2001. The album features six tracks off his first independent release as well as four new tracks.
loscil followed up the release with Submers, an aquatic-themed album. Each track on the album is named after a submarine. The last track on the album was produced in honour of the people who died on the Russian submarine K-141 Kursk.
His 2004 album First Narrows (a reference to the official name of the Vancouver bridge, also known as Lions' Gate Bridge) marked the incorporation of improvised performances by a number of guest musicians: Nyla Raney, cello; Tim Loewen, guitar; and Jason Zumpano, Rhodes piano. Consequently, the songs on First Narrows are more organic and looser in nature than Morgan's previous work.
In 2005, Morgan released Stases, a collection of drones based upon the backgrounds of his work for Kranky Records. The album was made available as a free download-only release from One Records.
The theme of his fourth major album, released in 2006, continues the conceptual ascent each album has taken, from the sub-atomic level (Triple Point) and watery depths (Submers) to the surface (First Narrows) and the sky (Plume).
Plume continues Morgan's musical integration of other musicians' work into his ambient compositions, including Josh August Lindstrom on vibes and xylophone and Krista Michelle Marshall and Stephen Michael Wood on ebow guitar (as well as Zumpano again on piano).
- 1999 A New Demonstration of Thermodynamic Tendencies
- 2001 Triple Point (Kranky)
- 2002 Submers (Kranky)
- 2004 First Narrows (Kranky)
- 2006 Plume (Kranky)
- 2010 Endless Falls (Kranky)
- 2011 Coast / Range / Arc (Glacial Movements Records)
- 2012 Sketches From New Brighton (Kranky)
- 2013 Intervalo (Frond)
- 2013 Erebus (with Bvdub) (Glacial Movements)
EPs & Other Releases
- 2005 Stases (Drones 2001 - 2005) (One)
- 2009 Strathcona Variations EP (Ghostly International)
- 2010 Versions EP (bandcamp)
- 2010 Untitled EP (bandcamp)
Tracks Featured On
- 2003 Saturday Morning Empires (Intr Version)
- 2003 The Corporation documentary film soundtrack
- 2004 ScaredSacred documentary film soundtrack
- 2006 Idol Tryouts: Ghostly International Vol. 2 (Ghostly International)
- 2008 The Sleep Machine contributed to Chequerboards online Relay project
- 2009 Osmos computer game
- 2013 Hundreds iOS game
- Official Site
- MySpace Page
- Loscil at AllMusic
- Loscil at Kranky Records
- "Environmental Music: Loscil's Impressionistic Portraits CBC Radio 3 Live Concert Session