Lothar von Bischoffshausen
|Lothar William Mordian Freiherr von Bischoffshausen|
|Born||20 February 1897
|Died||18 February 1970
|Allegiance|| German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1914 - 1945|
|Commands held||Panzergrenadier-Regiment 2|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Lothar William Mordian Freiherr von Bischoffshausen[a] (20 February 1897 – 18 February 1970) was a highly decorated Oberst in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. He was the fourth child of Heino Freiherr von Bischoffshausen and Helene born Freiin von Eickstedt. He married to Margarete Luise von Poseck in 1928.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class (24 December 1915)
- 1st Class (25 February 1918)
- Wound Badge (1914)
- in Black (30 September 1918)
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918 (26 January 1935)
- War Merit Cross with Swords
- 2nd Class (19 July 1941)
- 1st Class (25 October 1941)
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (14 April 1942)
- 1st Class (23 April 1942)
- Panzer Badge in Bronze (13 July 1942)
- Eastern Front Medal (24 July 1942)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Silver (2 October 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
- a Regarding personal names: Freiherr is a former title (translated as Baron), which is now legally a part of the last name. The feminine forms are Freifrau and Freiin.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 114.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.