Lou Brown (rugby league)
|Full name||Louie Ernest Brown|
20 May 1905|
|Died||3 June 1947
Auckland, New Zealand
|Height||173 cm (5 ft 8 in)|
|Weight||66 kg (10 st 6 lb)|
Louie Ernest Brown (20 May 1905 – 3 June 1947) was a New Zealand professional rugby league footballer of the 1920s and '30s, playing at representative level for New Zealand, Other Nationalities, and Auckland, as a Wing, or Centre.
Brown originally played for the Ngaruawahia Panthers in the Waikato Rugby League competition, before moving to Auckland and playing in the Auckland Rugby League competition for the Newton Rangers. He made his Auckland debut against New South Wales in 1922 as a seventeen-year-old. After the 1923 season, Brown went to England and played for Wigan as an amateur in several reserve games. On his return Brown joined City. Newton appealed, which was upheld by both the Auckland Rugby League and the New Zealand Rugby League. As a result he was suspended for three weeks until he rejoined the Newton club.
In 1927 he returned to England, joining Wigan as a professional.
Brown also played for Halifax and York before returning to Auckland in time to represent New Zealand in 1935. He also had further stints in France, with Bordeaux, and Bramley before suffering the illness that caused his death in 1947.
Brown won caps for New Zealand in 1926 against England (2 matches) and Wales, in 1927 against England, in 1935 against Australia (3 matches), and in 1936 against England (2 matches), and won cap(s) for Other Nationalities while at Wigan against England. Brown was part of the 1926-27 tour of Great Britain that was marred by player discontent. He captained the Kiwis in one test match against Australia in 1935.
Challenge Cup final appearances
Rugby League County Cup final appearances
Brown played Right-Wing, i.e. number 2, and scored a try, in Wigan's 5-4 victory over Widnes in the 1928 Lancashire Cup final during the 1928–29 season at Wilderspool Stadium, Warrington on Saturday 24 November 1928.
Brown died in Auckland on 3 June 1947 and was buried at Waikaraka Cemetery.
- In Touch nzrl.co.nz, October 2011
- Coffey, John and Bernie Wood Auckland, 100 years of rugby league, 1909-2009, 2009. ISBN 978-1-86969-366-4, p.p.77-78
- Morris, Graham (2005). Wigan Rugby League Football Club: 100 Greats. Stroud: Tempus Publishing. p. 29. ISBN 978-0-7524-3470-4.
- "Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org". rugbyleagueproject.org. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- Baker, Andrew (20 August 1995). "100 years of rugby league: From the great divide to the Super era". Independent, The (London: independent.co.uk). Retrieved 25 September 2009.
- BROWN, Louie Ernest 1925 - 27, 1935 - 36 - Kiwi #166 nzleague.co.nz
- "Historic Wigan RL Moments: 1929 Challenge Cup Final". wigan.rlfans.com. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "1928-1929 Lancashire Cup Final". wigan.rlfans.com. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Cemeteries database". Auckland Council. Retrieved 27 April 2014.