||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2012)|
Lou Rhodes in London, March 2006
|Birth name||Louise Ann Rhodes|
Lou Rhodes is an English singer and songwriter from Manchester, now living in Wiltshire. In addition to providing vocals and lyrics for the band Lamb, Rhodes has released three solo albums: Beloved One, Bloom and One Good Thing. Rhodes has collaborated with 808 State, A Guy Called Gerald, Funkstörung, Pale 3, Sugizo, Plump DJs, Sheila Chandra, Eliza Carthy, Art of Noise, and The Cinematic Orchestra on Ma Fleur and the soundtrack to The Crimson Wing: Mystery of the Flamingos.
Rhodes started her own record label, Infinite Bloom, at the beginning of 2006, to issue her debut solo album Beloved One which was shortlisted for the Nationwide Mercury Music Prize the same year. This album explores the folk side of Rhodes's music, which was previously undisplayed while performing in Lamb, although songs such as "Fortress" are reminiscent of her times playing in Lamb. She has been described as following a Nick Drake path as a singer-songwriter.
Rhodes performed at Glastonbury Festival in 2005 and in 2007 on the new stage at "The Park", which had been organised by Emily Eavis. In May 2007, Rhodes had to cancel her UK tour after the sudden death of her sister.
Rhodes' second album Bloom was released through A&G Records/Infinite Bloom on 1 September 2007. It was given three (out of five) stars by Q magazine. On 24 September 2007 she released the first single from Bloom, called "The Rain". In October 2007 Lou Rhodes began a tour to promote the album.
In 2009, Lamb reunited for a tour. During this same period, Rhodes recorded her third album, One Good Thing, which was released in early 2010. Her fourth solo album is scheduled for release 2014 according to her website. On 6 January 2014, Rhodes' shared with fans her cover of The xx track 'Angels' stating that it would be an extra track on the forthcoming album entitled 'theyesandeye'.The track was released exclusively in Australia on 14 February 2014
Although Lamb are famous for blending trip hop with jazz and elements of drum and bass, Rhodes's solo work is more organic and rooted in folk music. Rhodes expressed a doubt that she will ever return to electronica. She combines finely tuned acoustic guitars—the essence of almost every arrangement—with violin, double bass, and rich percussion. Lyrically, her songs can be described as extremely romantic, soulful and very personal, this is how Rhodes explains the last album's lyrics:
|“||Sometimes I think, "My God, I keep writing all these love songs," and I really struggle with that. I think I'm a bit of an emotional junkie, you know? It seems to be what consumes me. The heart never ceases to provide me with subject matter. I don't know why that is. Someone asked me the other day, "Are you in love with being in love?" And I couldn't really answer that question.||”|
Lou Rhodes is also a published author. Her children's picture book, 'The Phlunk'(Lou Rhodes/Tori Elliott), published by Strata Books in 2012, received good reviews. Follow-up The Phlunk's Worldwide Symphony is available now . In 2012 Rhodes also contributed an essay to 'The First Time I Heard The Smiths', part of an ongoing series where musicians/writers tell their stories of first hearing the music of an iconic artist or band.
- 2006 Beloved One (Infinite Bloom Recordings)
- 2007 Bloom (A&G Records)
- 2010 One Good Thing (Motion Audio, distributed by Ninja Tune)
- 2013 The Phlunk (ISBN 9780957369016 | 009)
- 2014 The Phlunk's Worldwide Symphony (ISBN 9780957369023)
- Lou Rhodes Official Website
- Lou Rhodes page on last.fm
- Liberation Frequency Interview with Lou Rhodes 2008
- "Works written by: RHODES LOUISE ANN". ACE Title Search. American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers. Retrieved 3 August 2010.
- Maddy Costa, Review of One Good Thing. The Guardian, 11 March 2010. Retrieved 7 March 2011.
- Lou Rhodes' YouTube channel
- Lou Rhodes Facebook page
- 'Angels' iTunes Australia
- We're jammin': Lou Rhodes – The Guardian, 3 March 2006
- Beloved One album review – Allmusic.com
- The Phlunk at Strata Books Store
- Amazon author page
-  Tori Elliott illustrator
- Kids Confidential Review- March 2013
- Chicken & Frog review- Dec 2012
- – Lou Rhodes' store
- First Time series on Amazon
- Country and western: Lou Rhodes' communal gothic manor house – Independent.co.uk
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lou Rhodes.|