Louis J. Stathis (September 29, 1952 – May 4, 1997) was an American author, critic and editor, mainly in the areas of fantasy and science fiction. During the last four years of his life he was an editor for DC Comics' Vertigo line, including Preacher, Doom Patrol, Industrial Gothic, The System and Dhampire.
In 1989, Stathis wrote The Venus Interface, a Heavy Metal graphic novel with a cover by Olivia De Berardinis and interior art by Jim Fletcher, Rick Geary, Peter Kuper, Mark Pacella, Kenneth Smith, Arthur Suydam and Michael Uman. Stathis also collaborated with Matt Howarth on Das Loot, published by Aeon in 1994.
In writing and editing, Stathis took a prismatic approach, noting popular culture linkages:
- I see connections between all vital forms of popular art. It's all in the mix, and to erect barriers between, say, comics and music–to ignore the noise from any part of the system–is counterproductive and just plain stupid. Most of the artists and writers I know listen to and take inspiration from music while they work; most of the musicians I know read comics and get off on the imagery. There's an intense, crosscultural/media conversation going on, and all you have to do to hear it is stop listening selectively.
While he was an editor at DC Comics, Stathis began having headaches which kept him from working. He died of respiratory failure ten months after being diagnosed with a brain tumor.
- "United States Social Security Death Index," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VSNS-25S : accessed 19 Mar 2013), Louis J Stathis, 4 May 1997.
- Anderson, Paul M. (August 1997). "Vertigo Editor Stathis Succumbs to Cancer". Wizard (72). p. 22.
- "Apparatchik 78: In the Midst of Life, Dr. Fandom". Retrieved 19 May 2006.
- "Michigan State University Libraries: Index to Comic Art Collection: 'Loos' to 'Loque' ". Archived from the original on 17 January 2006. Retrieved 19 May 2006.
- "International Horror Guild". Retrieved 19 May 2006.
- Business Wire: "Obituary: Lou Stathis"
- Heavy Metal: Lou Stathis interviews David Lynch (full text)
- "Remembering Lou Stathis" by Patty Jeres
- Who's Who of American Comic Books: Lou Stathis
|This profile of a comics writer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|