Louis, Duke of Savoy
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (October 2012)|
|Louis, Duke of Savoy|
Duke Louis I of Savoy
|Spouse(s)||Anne of Cyprus|
|Noble family||House of Savoy|
|Father||Antipope Felix V|
|Mother||Mary of Burgundy|
21 February 1413|
|Died||29 January 1465
He was born at Geneva the son of Antipope Felix V and Mary of Burgundy; he was the first to hold the title of Prince of Piedmont. On 1 November 1433 (or 12 February 1434), at Chambéry, he married Princess Anne of Cyprus, an heiress of the Kingdom of Cyprus and the defunct Kingdom of Jerusalem. (She was the secondary heiress all her lifetime, as her niece Queen Charlotte of Cyprus outlived her, and a daughter of King Janus of Cyprus.) During his reign, Savoy tried to conquer the Duchy of Milan, then under the Repubblica Ambrosiana, but failed.
In 1453 he received the Shroud of Turin from Margaret de Charny. It was held by the House of Savoy until 1946, at the end of the Kingdom of Italy. The Shroud of Turin was bequeathed to the Holy See in 1983. Louis died at Lyon in 1465, while returning from France.
Family and issue
Louis and Anne of Cyprus had 17 children, four of whom died young:
- Amadeus IX (Thonon 1 February 1435 - 30 March 1472).
- Marie (Morges 10 March 1436 - Thonon 1 December 1437)
- Louis of Savoy, Count of Geneva (Thonon 1 April 1437 - Ripaille 12 July 1482).
- Marguerite (Pinerolo April 1439 - Brugge 9 March 1485), married firstly in December 1458 Giovanni IV Paleologo (1413–1464), Marquis of Montferrat and secondly Pierre II de Luxembourg, Count of St. Pol, of Brienne, de Ligny, Marle, and Soissons.
- Janus, Count of Faucigny and Geneva (Genève 8 November 1440 - Annecy 22 December 1491), married Helene of Luxembourg, daughter of Louis de Luxembourg, Count of Saint-Pol, and his first wife Jeanne de Bar, Countess of Marle and Soissons.
- Charlotte (Chambéry 16 November 1441 - Amboise 1 December 1483), married King Louis XI of France.
- Aimon (Genève 2 November 1442– Genève 30 March 1443).
- Philip II of Savoy (Thonon 29 November 1443 - Lémenc near Chambéry 7 November 1497)
- Jacques (Genève 29 November 1444 - Genève 1 June 1445).
- Pierre (Genève circa 2 February 1446 - Torino August 1458), Bishop of Genève (1451-1458).
- Jean Louis, Bishop of Geneva (Genève 26 February 1447 - Torino 4 July 1482).
- Maria (Pinerolo 20 March 1448 - 13 September 1475), married Louis of Luxembourg, Count of St. Pol, of Brienne, de Ligny, and Conversano, Constable of France.
- Bona (Avilliana 12 August 1449 – Fossano 17 November 1503), married Galeazzo Maria Sforza, Duke of Milan.
- Giacomo, Count of Romont, lord of Vaud (Genève 12 November 1450 - Ham in Picardy 30 January 1486).
- Anne (Genève September 1452 - Genève 1 October 1452).
- François, Archbishop of Auch and Bishop of Geneva (Annecy 19 August 1454 - Torino 6 October 1490).
- Agnes (Chambéry October 1457 - Paris 16 March 1509) married François d'Orléans Longueville
|Ancestors of Louis, Duke of Savoy|
Louis, Duke of SavoyBorn: 21 February 1413 Died: 29 January 1465
|Duke of Savoy