Louis-Honoré Fréchette, 1900. Credit: Royal Society Portraits / Library and Archives Canada / C-002037.
November 16, 1839|
Lévis, Lower Canada
|Died||May 31, 1908(aged 68)|
|Occupation||poet, playwright, short story writer|
|Notable award(s)||Prix Montyon, CMG|
Born in Lévis, Lower Canada, from 1854 to 1860 Fréchette did his classical studies at the Séminaire de Québec, the Collège de Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pocatière and at the Séminaire de Nicolet. He later studied law at Université Laval.
In 1864, he opened a lawyer's office in Lévis where he founded two newspapers: Le drapeau de Lévis and La Tribune de Levis. He exiled himself in Chicago where he wrote La voix d'un exilé. A number of plays which he wrote during that period were lost in the Great Chicago Fire.
Soon after he returned home in 1874, he was elected Member of Parliament in Ottawa. He served in the Canadian House of Commons from 1874 to 1878 as the Liberal Party of Canada member from Lévis.He was not re-elected in 1878. After that, he moved to Montreal where he began writing full-time, having inherited the wealth of his aunt when she died.
Canada Post issued a postage stamp in his honour on July 7, 1989.
In 1991, Louis Honoré Fréchette Public School, opened in Thornhill, Ontario.
- La voix d'un exilé (1866)
- La découverte du Mississippi (1873)
- Pêle-mêle (1877)
- La Légende d'un peuple (1877)
- Poésies choisies (1879)
- Les Fleurs boréales, les oiseaux de neige (1879)
- L'Iroquoise du lac Saint-Pierre (1861)
- Originaux et détraqués (1892), based on real life characters
- Les contes de Jos Violon
- Christmas in French Canada (1899)
- Le retour de l'exilé (1880)
- Papineau (1880)
- La retour de l'exilé (1880)
- Félix Poutré (1892)
- "Adelphus Todd". The Week : a Canadian journal of politics, literature, science and arts 1 (9): 137. 31 Jan 1884. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- W. H. New, ed. Encyclopedia of Literature in Canada. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2002: 395-97.
- Works by Louis-Honoré Fréchette at Project Gutenberg
- "Louis-Honoré Fréchette". Dictionary of Canadian Biography (online ed.). University of Toronto Press. 1979–2005.
- Notice biographique de Louis Fréchette at L'Île (in French)
- Louis-Honoré Fréchette – Parliament of Canada biography
- Louis-Honoré Fréchette's entry in The Canadian Encyclopedia
|Professional and academic associations|
William Robinson Clark
|President of the Royal Society of Canada