Louis-Jeantet Prize for Medicine
The Louis-Jeantet Prize for Medicine is awarded annually (starting in 1986) by the Louis-Jeantet Foundation to biomedical researchers in Europe; the awards are made each April. The aim of the prize is both to honor its recipients and to finance their research.
The particular research domains in which prizes have been awarded are physiology, biophysics, structural biology, biochemistry, cellular and molecular biology, developmental biology and genetics; prize-winners have worked in immunology, virology, bacteriology, neurobiology, clinical epidemiology and structural biochemistry.
The Prize is endowed with CHF 1.4 million. The sum available to each prize-winner amounts to CHF700’000, of which CHF600’000 are to be used for financing ongoing research and CHF100’000 are given to the researcher personally.
List of winners:
- 1986: Luc Montagnier, Michael Berridge, Désiré Collen
- 1987: Sydney Brenner, Walter Gehring, Dominique Stehelin
- 1988: Rolf Zinkernagel, John J. Skehel, Bert Sakmann
- 1989: Roberto Poljak, Walter Schaffner, Greg Winter
- 1990: Nicole Le Douarin, Harald von Boehmer, Gottfried Schatz
- 1991: Pierre Chambon, Frank Grosveld, Hugh Pelham
- 1992: Paul Nurse, Christiane Nüsslein-Volhard, Alain Townsend
- 1993: Jean-Pierre Changeux, Richard Henderson, Kurt Wüthrich
- 1994: Thierry Boon, Jan Holmgren, Philippe Sansonetti
- 1995: Dirk Bootsma and Jan Hoeijmakers, Peter Goodfellow and Robin Lovell-Badge, Peter Gruss
- 1996: Björn Dahlbäck, Ulrich K. Laemmli, Nigel Unwin
- 1997: Philip Cohen, Kim Nasmyth, Richard Peto
- 1998: Denis Duboule, Walter Keller, Ronald Laskey
- 1999: Adrian P. Bird, Herbert Jäckle, Jean-Louis Mandel
- 2000: Konrad Basler, Thomas J. Jentsch, Ueli Schibler
- 2001: Alain Fischer, Iain W. Mattaj, Alfred Wittinghofer
- 2002: Timothy J. Richmond, Richard Treisman, Karl Tryggvason
- 2003: Wolfgang Baumeister, Riitta Hari, Nikos K. Logothetis
- 2004: Hans Clevers, Alec J. Jeffreys
- 2005: Alan Hall, Svante Pääbo
- 2006: Kari Alitalo, Christine Petit
- 2007: Venkatraman Ramakrishnan, Stephen C. West
- 2008: Pascale Cossart, Jurg Tschopp
- 2009: Michael N Hall, Peter J Ratcliffe
- 2010: Michel Haïssaguerre, Austin Smith
- 2011: Stefan Jentsch, Edvard Moser, May-Britt Moser
- 2012: Matthias Mann, Fiona Powrie
Notes and references
- "Louis-Jeantet official website". Louis-Jeante Foundation. Retrieved 14 October 2009.
- "The winners of the Louis-Jeantet Prize for medicine". Louis-Jeante Foundation. Retrieved 14 October 2009.