|Louis Graphic Novel|
Cover to Louis - Dreams Never Die.
|Date||2000 - present|
|Main characters||Louis, FC, Clean & Jerk|
|Publisher||Metaphrog / Fat Cat Records|
|Writers||metaphrog, John Chalmers|
|Artists||metaphrog, Sandra Marrs|
Louis is an unasumming worker who lives in Hamlet with his companion FC (short for Formulaic Companion), his pet mechanical bird. He spends his days filling bottles with air, making fruit, and writing to imaginary aunts. His neighbours Clean and Jerk often try to get him into trouble.
In The Guardian, Julie Burchill has said of Louis that he is the "most adorable character", while The Comics Journal wrote: "Louis himself is cut from the same cloth as Charlie Brown and Jimmy Corrigan".
i-D described Louis - Red Letter Day thus: "With squibs for eyes and delicately inked circles for nose and mouth, Louis' reduced features magically express a life spent daydreaming, writing letters to possibly fictional aunts and reading signs that say 'you look like a potato'. Infused with shadowless light and written in precisely elusive balloons Louis - Red Letter Day is a seriously spaced enigma from Metaphrog aka Glaswegian cult artists John Chalmers and Sandra Marrs. Like nothing else around."
Six graphic novels have been released so far. Their fourth, Louis - Dreams Never Die, was released in 2004 in association with the UK based label Fat Cat Records. For this, Hey (from Berlin) and múm (from Iceland) wrote two music tracks inspired by the Louis books, and metaphrog made a special short animation. The result was a multimedia project with a graphic novel and cd/blue vinyl 7".
In 2011, they redrew and repainted Louis - Red Letter Day and this new version was published in hardback.
- Louis - Red Letter Day (2000) ISBN 0-9534932-5-3
- Louis - Lying to Clive (2001) ISBN 0-9534932-7-X
- Louis - The Clown's Last Words (2002) ISBN 0-9534932-9-6
- Louis - Dreams Never Die (2004) ISBN 0-9545984-0-7
- Louis - Night Salad (2010) ISBN 978-0-9545984-1-9
- Louis - Red Letter Day New Edition (2011) ISBN 97809545984-2-6
Awards and recognition
Louis is a multiple Eisner Award and Ignatz Award nominee. Louis - The Clown's Last Words was nominated for an Ignatz Award, while Louis - Red Letter Day was nominated for the 2001 Ignatz Award for "Promising New Talent" and the 2000 Eisner Awards for "Best Title for a Younger Audience" and "Best Graphic Album - New". In 2011, Louis - Night Salad was nominated for an Eisner Award for "Best Coloring", was Highly Commended for the Scottish Children's Book Awards, was shortlisted for the Leeds Graphic Novel Awards, and was longlisted for the YALSA Great Graphic Novels for Teens.
- Burchill, Julie (August 23, 2003). "Weekend: THE GRAPHIC TRUTH". The Guardian , Guardian Weekend Pages, Pg. 5.
- Kodwo Eshun, i-D (December 2000), "Lil' Louis".
- Ian Brill, The Comics Journal (June–July, 2005), #268, "Louis and the technicolor Orwellian nightmare".