Louis H. Bauer
|Louis Hopewell Bauer|
July 18, 1888|
|Died||February 2, 1964
Rockville Centre, NY
Louis Hopewell Bauer M.D. (July 18, 1888 – February 2, 1964) was an American doctor who founded the Aerospace Medical Association in 1929. Dr. Bauer was the first medical director of the Aeronautics Branch of the Department of Commerce which became the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
He was Commandant of the School of Aviation Medicine between 1919 and 1925. During 1926, he established a medical section in the Bureau of Air Commerce, Department of Commerce. On October 7, 1929, the Aero Medical Association of the United States was founded by Bauer.
He also founded the Journal of Aviation Medicine, the predecessor of the present Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine journal. The first issue of this Journal was published in March, 1930. Bauer was the Journal's editor for 25 years.
He was married to Helena Meredith Bauer who was a social worker with the Massachusetts General Hospital. Together they had a son, Charles Theodore Bauer, who was born on March 3, 1919. He was Co-Founder and the Chairman of AIM Management Group.
Louis Bauer Award
Louis Bauer Award is awarded by the Aerospace Medical Association. It is given in honour of Bauer, who was the founder of the AMA. It is awarded annually "for the most significant contribution in aerospace medicine".
- "Books from 1947 with US copyright not renewed". kingkong.demon.co.uk. Retrieved 2009-06-15.
- Mohler, S R. "Louis H. Bauer, M.D., and the first civil U.S. aeromedical standards: his continuing legacy". Retrieved 2009-06-14.
- Aerospace Medical Association. "About the AsMA". Retrieved 2008-06-05.
- Emme, Eugene M. (1961). "Aeronautics and Astronautics Chronology, 1925-1929". Aeronautics and Astronautics: An American Chronology of Science and Technology in the Exploration of Space, 1915-1960. Washington, DC: National Aeronautics and Space Administration. pp. 19–26. Retrieved 2009-06-15.
- "100th anniversary of Dr. Louis H. Bauer's birth". Aviation, space, and environmental medicine. Retrieved 2009-06-14.
- "Charles T. Bauer: Co-Founder and Retired Chairman AIM Management Group". Business Wire. Monday, June 28, 2004. Retrieved 2009-06-15.
- "2002 Award Winners of the Aerospace Medical Association". sasma.szd.si. July 2002. Retrieved 2009-06-14.