Louis II of Chalon-Arlay
|Louis of Chalon-Arlay|
|Spouse(s)||Johanna of Montfaucon
Eléonore of Armagnac
|Noble family||House of Châlon-Arlay|
|Father||John III of Chalon-Arlay|
|Mother||Mary of Baux-Orange|
|Died||3 December 1463
Louis of Chalon-Arlay (c. 1388 – 3 December 1463), nicknamed the Good, was Lord of Arlay and Arguel Prince of Orange. He was he son of John III of Chalon-Arlay and his wife, Mary of Baux-Orange, and the father of William VII of Chalon.
Louis was very ambitious. He tried to establish his authority in the Dauphiné, but failed. He did manage to extend his territory eastwards, to Neuchâtel and Lausanne. During his attempts to extend his territory, he would sometimes express loyalty towards the King of France, and at other times toward the German Emperor or the Duke of Burgundy. In the end, nobody really trusted him.
Louis also called himself Count of Geneva, claiming it was part of the inheritance he had received from his mother. However, he was never able to realize this claim. The county of Geneva was held by Antipope Felix V. After Felix's death, Louis fought a long battle against the Counts of Savoy for control of Geneva. The struggle ended when the Emperor decided in favour of the House of Savoy.
In his last will and testament, Louis stipulated that his children from his second marriage would take precedence over his children from his first marriage when in the division of the inheritance. After his death, this caused a prolonged struggle between his children and their descendants.
Louis married twice:
- Johanna (d. 1445), the daughter of Count Henry II of Montbéliard an Marie of Châtillon. With her he had one son:
- William VII (d. 1475), his successor as Prince of Orange
- Eléonore (1423–1456), a daughter of Count John IV af Armagnac and Blanche of Brittany. With her, he had two more sons:
|Ancestors of Louis II of Chalon-Arlay|
- Frédéric Barbey, Louis de Chalon, Prince d'Orange, in the series Mémoires et documents publiés par la Société d'histoire de la Suisse romande, 2nd series, vol. XIII, Lausanne, Librairie Payot, 1926
- J.K.H. de Roo van Alderwerelt: De voorgeschiedenis van het wapen gevoerd door de eerste prins van Orange uit het geslacht van de graven van Nassau, in: Jaarboek van het Centraal Bureau voor Genealogie, part XXV, 1971
Louis II of Chalon-ArlayBorn: c. 1388 Died: 3 December 1463
|Prince of Orange