Louisiana Highway 161
|Maintained by Louisiana DOTD|
|Length:||4.30 mi (6.92 km)|
|Existed:||1955 renumbering – present|
LA 2 Alt. in Gordon
|North end:||Hwy. 15 at Arkansas state line northeast of Gordon|
Louisiana Highway 161 (LA 161) is a state highway located in Claiborne Parish, Louisiana. It runs 4.30 miles (6.92 km) in a southwest to northeast direction from LA 2 Alternate in Gordon to the Arkansas state line.
The route is entirely rural, providing a connection between highways leading to Haynesville and Homer in Claiborne Parish with Arkansas Highway 15 leading to El Dorado, Arkansas. Though it travels diagonally, LA 161 carries north–south directional banners.
From the southwest, LA 161 begins at an intersection with LA 2 Alternate at Gordon, a point 5.7 miles (9.2 km) east of Haynesville in Claiborne Parish. The route proceeds northeast through a rural area covered by pine forests. After 3.2 miles (5.1 km), LA 161 intersects LA 520, which heads south to LA 2 Alternate at a point known as Colquitt. 1.0 mile (1.6 km) later, after having curved slightly to the north, LA 161 crosses the state line into Union County, Arkansas, where it continues toward El Dorado as Arkansas Highway 15 (AR 15).
The route is classified as a rural major collector by the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (La DOTD) with an average daily traffic volume of 920 in 2013. LA 161 is an undivided, two-lane highway for its entire length and has a posted speed limit of 55 mph (90 km/h).
In the original Louisiana Highway system in use between 1921 and 1955, the modern LA 161 was part of State Route 557. Route 557 was designated in 1930 by an act of the state legislature. Its route comprised several disconnected segments branching out from the Homer area, many of which were decommissioned prior to the 1955 Louisiana Highway renumbering.
La 161—From a junction with La 2 "Alt" at or near Gordon northeast to the Arkansas state line.
— 1955 legislative route description
The entire highway is in Claiborne Parish.
LA 2 Alt. – Haynesville, Summerfield
|3.2||5.1||LA 520 south||Northern terminus of LA 520|
|4.3||6.9||Hwy. 15 north (Haynesville Highway) – El Dorado||Northern terminus; continuation into Arkansas|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- "La DOTD GIS". Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development. 2013. Retrieved July 25, 2013.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – Overview Map of LA 161 (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=LA+161+(Southern+Terminus)&daddr=32.997611,-92.9981225+to:LA+161+(Northern+Terminus)&hl=en&ll=33.001178,-92.996178&spn=0.079325,0.169086&sll=33.00089,-92.998924&sspn=0.039663,0.084543&geocode=FeFZ9wEdR3R0-g%3BFeuA9wEdFvZ0-inlMZV0H4cxhjEMLdo5W221Mw%3BFYjN9wEdaWB1-g&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=14&via=1&t=m&z=13. Retrieved July 22, 2013.
- Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (February 2012). Claiborne Parish (Map). Cartography by La DOTD Office of Multimodal Planning. http://www.dotd.la.gov/planning/mapping/Parish%20Maps/Claiborne.pdf. Retrieved July 22, 2013.
- Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (February 2012). District 04: Official Control Section Map / Construction and Maintenance (Map). Cartography by La DOTD Office of Multimodal Planning. http://www.dotd.la.gov/planning/mapping/District%20Maps/District_04.pdf. Retrieved July 22, 2013.
- Louisiana Department of Highways (1949). Claiborne Parish (Map). Cartography by Department of Highways Traffic and Planning Section (January 1, 1955 ed.).
- "Act No. 15, House Bill No. 6". State-Times (Baton Rouge). October 13, 1930. pp. 4B.
- "Act No. 40, House Bill No. 311". State-Times (Baton Rouge). June 18, 1955. p. 4B.
- Louisiana Department of Highways (1956). Claiborne Parish (Map). Cartography by Department of Highways Traffic and Planning Section (January 1, 1958 ed.).