Love Amongst Ruin
|Love Amongst Ruin|
Love Amongst Ruin live in Hamburg, 2010.
|Genres||Alternative rock, hard rock|
|Labels||Ancient B Records|
|Associated acts||Placebo, Six by Seven, The Cure, Polaroid Kiss|
Donald Ross Skinner
|Past members||Magnus Lundén
Love Amongst Ruin are an English rock band, led by former Placebo and current Polaroid Kiss drummer Steve Hewitt. The band released their self-titled debut album in September 2010 and a second album is expected to be released in 2014.
Beginnings and formation
Upon leaving Placebo after the conclusion of their Meds tour in September 2007, Steve Hewitt had a vision "to create a new band, a new album and a new sound". He immediately enlisted Lamb bassist Jon Thorne and his brother Nick Hewitt to begin writing and demoing new music at his home studio. In March 2008, Julian Cope collaborator Donald Ross Skinner was brought in to oversee and co-produce the recording sessions. Between April and August 2008, the collective moved to Moles Studio in Bath for three recording sessions with producer Paul Corkett, which yielded ten songs, with Hewitt predominantly performing drums and lead vocals. Mixing began in September and continued for six months before the album was mastered by Brian Gardner at Bernie Grundman Mastering in April 2009. Hewitt spent the remainder of 2009 securing management, publishing and record deals, in addition to finding permanent members for the band. In November, he revealed the band and debut album would be named 'Love Amongst Ruin'. Hewitt revealed the band name is "a very apt description of the place I found myself in after I was ejected from Placebo. My life, the way it had been, seemed to be in ruins but I got a lot of love from fans and friends and family".
Love Amongst Ruin (2009-11)
The band lineup was revealed in December 2009 and announced alongside Steve Hewitt (vocals/guitar) were Donald Ross Skinner (guitar), Steve Hove (guitar), Laurie Ross (keyboards & cello) and Keith York (drums). The band made their live debut at the Eurosonic Festival in Groningen, Netherlands on January 14, 2010, with guest bassist Jonathan Noyce. Bassist Magnus Lundén was added as a permanent member in time for the band's UK live debut at the Barfly in London on 11 May. The band followed up with a larger gig at the Scala in June. Magnus Lundén was replaced by Teresa Morini in July. The band appeared on the Red Bull Stage at Sonisphere Festival on 11 August, the day after Hewitt's previous band, Placebo, had played on the main stage.
Love Amongst Ruin's debut single "So Sad (Fade)" was released on August 30 on Ancient B Records, followed by their self-titled debut album on September 13. The band embarked on the Heaven & Hell Tour from September through November and released their second single "Home" on 25 October. 2010 was wrapped up with a gig at Birmingham Academy supporting Feeder. Keith York left the band at the end of the year, expressing a desire to spend more time with his family. He was replaced by Ramon Sherrington. Laurie Ross was also removed from the live lineup, but continues to record with the band in the studio.
The band began 2011 with a quartet of gigs supporting Feeder, before supporting their third single, "Alone", with a short tour of France in March. Gizz Butt filled in for Steve Hove on the Recycling Party tour in May, while Jon Thorne stepped in for Teresa Morini at the Fête de la Musique in Valence, France in June. The band confirmed that a new EP titled "Oh God" was set for release in the summer of 2012, though it has not seen release. The band spent two days at Fisher Lane Farm in early August with producer Paul Corkett to record acoustic versions of nine tracks released on their self-titled debut album. Laurie Ross returned to play cello at the sessions. An acoustic version of "Bring Me Down (You Don't)" was given away by the band as a free download in advance of the release of the acoustic album on December 5th.
Second studio album (2011-present)
In January 2011, Hewitt revealed that he had begun writing the band's second album and the band would commence recording after completing the supporting tour for their debut album. In June, Hewitt stated that "We're about nine tracks in. We're hoping to start recording in September. I've demoed most of the drums but we'll see when September comes who's going to play what. I've got to get my oar in and have a go, it'd be silly not to". In November, Steve confirmed that band had been recording at Moles Studio in Bath. In May 2012 it was announced that Teresa Morini had left the band to join the Cirque du Soleil touring show Amaluna. Her replacement was former-Cure guitarist Perry Bamonte. On July 5, the band made available a free download of their cover of "Rise" by Public Image Ltd via their Facebook page. In early September, founding guitarist Steve Hove left the band, causing a 10 September comeback show at the London Barfly to be cancelled. Dave Weston was announced as Hove's replacement in mid-November and the band commenced rehearsals. Love Amongst Ruin announced in January 2013 that details of their 2013 plans would follow within a few weeks, but no news surfaced throughout the year while Hewitt recorded and toured with Six by Seven. In February 2014 it was reported on Facebook that promotional pictures, artwork and videos were being prepared for the second album.
Musical style and influences
Love Amongst Ruin describe themselves as "a multi-faceted rock band that promises the crunch of a stone age queen, the crossover appeal of a parkful of linkins and the melodicism of the hardiest fighter of foos". They also cite having New Order, Depeche Mode, Kasabian, Can, The Cure and Metallica elements to their sound.
- 2010: Love Amongst Ruin (13 September 2010)
- 2010: Home (Remixes) (25 October 2010)
- 2011: Acoustic (5 December 2011)
- 2011: Bring Me Down (You Don't) (acoustic version, 8 November 2011)
- 2012: Rise (Public Image Ltd cover, 5 July 2012)
|2010||"So Sad (Fade)"||(unlisted)||YouTube|
- "Placebo's Drummer Leaves The Band | News". Ultimate-guitar.com. 2007-12-26. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "Love Amongst Ruin - Official Facebook Fan site - The Story - Part I". Community.livejournal.com. 2009-08-14. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "Love Amongst Ruin - The Story - Part II". Community.livejournal.com. 2009-09-04. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "Love Amongst Ruin - The Story - Part III". Community.livejournal.com. 2009-10-02. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "Love Amongst Ruin - The Story - Part IV". Community.livejournal.com. 2009-11-06. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "The Music Freak interview with Steve Hewitt". MusicVita. Retrieved 2014-04-24.
- Virtual Festivals: http://www.virtualfestivals.com. "EuroSonic Festival - EuroSonic Noorderslag 2010 | lineup - Virtual Festivals". Eu.virtualfestivals.com. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "Love Amongst Ruin at Barfly on Tue 11th May". Barflyclub.com. 2010-09-06. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "Review: Love Amongst Ruin @ The Scala | Latest Clubbing News". Skiddle.com. 2010-06-15. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- "Love Amongst Ruin: So Sad!". Shakenstir. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "Love Amongst Ruin – So Sad (fade)". 2010-08-28. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "Love Amongst Ruin Debut Album Review (By Katy Garland)". MusicVita. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "The Kerrang! Xmas Party at O2 Academy in Birmingham 9 Dec 2010". GB: Livebrum.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "STEVE HEWITT: (LOVE AMONGST RUIN) STILL RUNNING, STILL STRONG - INTERVIEW BY PHIL KING". Mudkiss.com. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "Love Amongst Ruin support Feeder on UK Tour". Musicrooms.net. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "Due to a previous...". Facebook. 2011-05-04. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "Foto's van Love Amongst Ruin - Prikbordfoto's". Facebook. 2011-06-20. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "Love Amongst Ruin | Stream". Myspace.com. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "Foto's van Love Amongst Ruin - Recording session August 1/2 2011". Facebook. 2011-08-01. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "Foto's van Love Amongst Ruin - Recording session August 1/2 2011". Facebook. 2011-08-08. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "Love Amongst Ruin - Bring Me Down (you don't) by Love Amongst Ruin on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free". Soundcloud.com. Retrieved 2012-07-09.
- "Q&A: Love Amongst Ruin". Thecmuwebsite.com. 2011-01-07. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "Steve Hewitt: I was 'absolutely s****ing my pants' about fronting new band | Rhythm". MusicRadar.com. 2011-06-06. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "St Pauls Lifestyle". St Pauls Lifestyle. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- "Teresa Morini joins Cirque du Soleil". LAR Official. Retrieved 2012-07-09.
- "Working hard, rehearsing hard. We can... - Love Amongst Ruin". Facebook. Retrieved 2014-04-24.
- "So here it is, a...". Facebook. Retrieved 2012-07-09.
- "The Band Is Complete… |". Loveamongstruin.com. 2012-11-13. Retrieved 2014-04-24.
- "Happy New Year everyone, hope you had a... - Love Amongst Ruin". Facebook. Retrieved 2014-04-24.
- "Paola Rotasso - Tijdlijnfoto's". Facebook. Retrieved 2014-04-24.
- "in December 2013 a certain Mr Hewitt and... - Peteur Von Funkenstein". Facebook. 2014-04-09. Retrieved 2014-04-24.
- "Lights Go Out – A punk fanzine from the UK". Lightsgoout.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- "Love Amongst Ruin". Chuff Media. 2007-09-21. Retrieved 2012-07-09.
- Love Amongst Ruin official site
- Love Amongst Ruin MySpace page
- Love Amongst Ruin Facebook page
- Love Amongst Ruin Twitter page
- Love Amongst Ruin YouTube page
- Ancient B Records homepage
- What I've learnt from Lennon