Love Comes Quickly
|"Love Comes Quickly"|
7" single cover
|Single by Pet Shop Boys|
|from the album Please|
|B-side||"That's My Impression"|
|Released||24 February 1986|
|Label||Parlophone / EMI|
|Writer(s)||Neil Tennant, Chris Lowe, Stephen Hague|
|Pet Shop Boys singles chronology|
- The capitalization of song titles in this article may be disputed. Please see the centralized discussion on this subject before making changes.
"Love Comes Quickly" is a song by UK synthpop duo Pet Shop Boys, released as the third single from their 1986 album Please, and the last of its singles to be released before the album itself. Although a Top 20 hit in the UK, and cited as one the band's own favourite songs, its chart performance was disappointing, given that it followed the worldwide number one, "West End Girls". It reached #19 in the UK.
The song is about the inevitability of falling in love, even for those who deliberately shun the idea.
Producer Stephen Hague receives a co-writing credit for writing the first two chords of the middle section of the song. Andy Mackay of Roxy Music plays the saxophone parts towards the end of the song.
As with "Opportunities", the 12-version of the single contains remixes by 1980s producer Shep Pettibone. The remixes of "Love Comes Quickly" and "That's My Impression" reached the top ten on the US Billboard Hot Dance Club Play chart in October 1986. Later, in 2003, new remixes by Blank & Jones were produced for the promotion of the singles collection PopArt.
The cover, featuring Chris Lowe in a baseball cap emblazoned with "BOY" in block letters, has become an iconic Pet Shop Boys image. It has been incorporated into various parodies of the duo's appearance, such as the music video for the 2006 Pet Shop Boys single "I'm with Stupid", and a 2006 comic strip from webcomic Scary Go Round.
Directed by Eric Watson, regular Pet Shop Boys photographer and music video director throughout the 1980s, the video to the song is very simple, utilizing facial shots of Tennant singing, interposed with blurry montages of the faces of various other people; at points, shots of Lowe, lying on top of a construction of a square grid, are superimposed over these shots. Watson would later call it a "complete disaster".
7": Parlophone / R 6116 (UK)
A. "Love Comes Quickly" – 4:18
B. "That's My Impression" – 4:45
12": Parlophone / 12 R 6116 (UK)
A. "Love Comes Quickly" (Dance Mix) – 6:50
B. "That's My Impression" (Disco Mix) – 5:18
- also released on 10" (10 R 6116)
12": Capitol / V-19218 (US)
A1. "Love Comes Quickly" (Shep Pettibone Mastermix) – 7:34
A2. "Love Comes Quickly" (Dub Mix) – 6:55
B1. "Love Comes Quickly" (Dance Mix) – 6:50
B2. "That's My Impression" (Disco Mix) – 5:18
|Australian Singles Chart||54|
|Belgian Singles Chart||29|
|Canadian Singles Chart||74|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||12|
|French Singles Chart||5|
|German Singles Chart||17|
|Irish Singles Chart||13|
|Italian Singles Chart||35|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||8|
|Polish Singles Chart||22|
|Swiss Singles Chart||24|
|UK Singles Chart||19|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||62|
|U.S. Billboard Dance/Club Play Songs Chart||10|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales Chart||37|
In English, "Love Comes Quickly" was also covered by Memphis on their 2004 album I Dreamed We Fell Apart, and it was one of the songs on the Pet Shop Boys tribute band West End Girls' 2006 debut album.
Singer/songwriter Kevin Caffrey covered the song acoustically in 2008.
- "Pet Shop Boys Official Site". Petshopboys.co.uk. Retrieved 29 November 2011.
- Heath, Chris (2001). "Love Comes Quickly". In Please / Further Listening 1984-1986 [CD liner notes]. London: Pet Shop Boys Partnership.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Hot Dance/Disco 1974-2003, (Record Research Inc.), page 201.
- Silcott, Mireille (1999). "The Pet Shop Boys, obsessively". Montreal Mirror. Retrieved 21 June 2006.
- "Interview with Eric Watson". Literally (Pet Shop Boys fanclub magazine). May 1992. Retrieved 21 June 2006.
- "Results - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 23 June 2012.
- Pennanen, Timo (2006). Sisältää hitin - levyt ja esittäjät Suomen musiikkilistoilla vuodesta 1972 (in Finnish) (1st ed.). Helsinki: Tammi. ISBN 978-951-1-21053-5.
- "charts.de". charts.de. 14 November 2006. Retrieved 23 June 2012.
- Jaclyn Ward - Fireball Media Group - http://www.fireballmedia.ie. "The Irish Charts - All there is to know". Irishcharts.ie. Retrieved 23 June 2012.
- "Hit Parade Italia - Indice per Interprete: P". Hitparadeitalia.it. Retrieved 23 June 2012.
- Steffen Hung. "Pet Shop Boys - Love Comes Quickly". charts.org.nz. Retrieved 23 June 2012.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- Steffen Hung. "Pet Shop Boys - Love Comes Quickly". hitparade.ch. Retrieved 23 June 2012.
- "ChartArchive - Pet Shop Boys - Love Comes Quickly". Chartstats.com. Archived from the original on 23 July 2012. Retrieved 23 June 2012.
- Pet Shop Boys (21 December 2009). "Pet Shop Boys - Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 23 June 2012.
- (Japanese) Hidemi Ishikawa discography page
- oldirtycaffrey (13 August 2008). "Kevin Caffrey - Love Comes Quickly". YouTube. Retrieved 29 November 2011.