Love Is a Losing Game
|"Love Is a Losing Game"|
|Single by Amy Winehouse|
|from the album Back to Black|
|Released||December 7, 2007 (Ireland)
December 10, 2007 (UK)
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Amy Winehouse singles chronology|
"Love Is a Losing Game" is a song written and recorded by English singer-songwriter Amy Winehouse for her second album Back to Black (2006). The track was chosen as the fifth single from the album. It was the final single released in her lifetime. The single was released on December 10, 2007 in the United Kingdom. The song was added to BBC Radio 1's playlist on November 7, 2007.
Release and response
George Michael named the song as one of his eight choices on the Radio Four programme Desert Island Discs. When asked which of his eight choices he would pick if he had to choose one, he opted for "Love Is a Losing Game". Prince has taken to covering the song live. On 21 September 2007, he was joined onstage by Winehouse at the final aftershow of his 21-gig marathon at The O2, and they performed the song together.
The song is the lowest-charting of Winehouse's Back to Black singles, peaking at number 46 on the UK Singles Chart and spending four weeks on the UK Top 100 (46-61-76-98).
Winehouse performed "Love Is a Losing Game" live when she appeared at the 2007 Mercury Prize. She later performed it at the 2008 BRIT Awards. The song won the award for Best Song Musically and Lyrically at the 2008 Ivor Novello Awards on May 22, 2008, Winehouse's third award at the event.
A video shoot was set up for "Love Is a Losing Game", reportedly costing £70,000 at Pinewood Studios, but an unnamed source was quoted in The Sun as saying that it was cancelled after Winehouse failed to turn up for filming. The original video was supposed to be directed by Phil Griffin and shot by director of photography Adam Frisch. Two alternate music videos were released: the first is a montage video, which includes photographs of Winehouse alongside live performance clips of the song, and the second is an entirely live video, taken from her I Told You I Was Trouble live performance DVD.
- "Love Is a Losing Game" 2:35
- "Love Is a Losing Game" (Kardinal Beats Remix) 3:22
- "Love Is a Losing Game" (Moody Boyz Original Ruffian Badboy Remix) 7:12
- "Love Is a Losing Game" (Truth And Soul Remix) 3:55
- "Love Is a Losing Game" (Enhanced Video) 2:35
|2008||Ivor Novello Awards||Best Song Musically and Lyrically||"Love Is a Losing Game"||Won|
The song first entered the UK Singles Chart at 46 in 2007. However, following her death the song re-entered the chart at a new peak of 33. In Italy, the single was certified gold for downloads exceeding 15,000 copies.
|Dutch Singles Chart||88|
|Italian Singles Chart||12|
|Irish Singles Chart||33|
|UK Singles Chart||33|
|UK R&B Singles Chart||6|
- Eliscu, Jenny (2007-06-14), "The Diva and Her Demons". Rolling Stone. (1028):58-69 Retrieved 2007-12-14
- Amy Winehouse performs at the Mercury Awards on YouTube
- The Sun: Amy misses video shoot
- "Italian single certifications – Amy Winehouse – Love Is a Losing Game" (in Italian). Federation of the Italian Music Industry. Select Online in the field Scegli la sezione. Select Week -- and Year ----. Enter Amy Winehouse in the field Artista. Click Avvia la ricerca