Love Is in Control (Finger on the Trigger)
|"Love Is in Control (Finger on the Trigger)"|
|Single by Donna Summer|
|from the album Donna Summer|
|B-side||"Sometimes Like Butterflies"|
|Format||7" single, 12" single|
3:43 (7" version)
|Writer(s)||Quincy Jones, Rod Temperton, Merria Ross|
|Donna Summer singles chronology|
Summer's 1980 The Wanderer album - the inaugural release on Geffen Records - had been certified gold in America although it did not enjoy numerous hit singles as some of her '70s releases had enjoyed. Summer had prepped her next album, I'm a Rainbow - a double set which continued her association with Giorgio Moroder and Pete Bellotte, but David Geffen, compelled by the need for what he considered a guaranteed smash, had shelved I'm a Rainbow and assigned Summer to record an album with producer Quincy Jones. Jones was a much sought-after producer at the time, particularly due to his association with Michael Jackson's album Off the Wall.
"Love Is In Control (Finger On the Trigger)" was the lead single off the Jones' produced album Donna Summer. It was written by Jones and Rod Temperton - who'd also written Jackson's "Rock with You". Summer reports that the recording process for this album was challenging, as she was pregnant at the time and unhappy over I'm a Rainbow' being shelved by Geffen Records.
The single was issued in three different versions: the 7" single release (3:42), the LP version (4:19), and a 12" single version (7:04). The 12" version features a "Dance Remix" on Side One and an "Instrumental Version Featuring Ernie Watts On Sax Solo" on Side Two. Both are remixes by Craig Kostich and Bruce Swedien.
"Love Is in Control (Finger On the Trigger)" became a major hit, peaking at #10 on the US Hot 100 in the summer of 1982, giving Summer her sixteenth top 40 hit, and reaching #4 on the US R&B Chart. It was Summer's best R&B showing since "Bad Girls" in 1979—even using police whistles in the song as in Bad Girls. Although the parent album was certified gold in the US, it did not produce any more major hits and did not prove the powerhouse album Geffen Records had hoped for.
Ironically, Summer would have her biggest success in the 1980s while on Geffen's roster with her next album She Works Hard for the Money and its title cut - which were released by Mercury Records in a one-off arrangement to settle Summer's split with the soon-to-be-defunct Casablanca Records, whose catalogue now resided with Mercury and Casablanca's parent company Polygram Records.
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||17|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||13|
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||4|
|Irish Singles Chart||14|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||6|
|Netherlands (Mega Single Top 100)||12|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||40|
|South African Chart||7|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||5|
|UK (Official Charts Company)||18|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||10|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play||3|
|U.S. Billboard Hot R&B Singles||4|
The B-side of the "Love Is in Control" 7" single was a non-album track written by Summer herself, "Sometimes Like Butterflies". It is yet to be released on CD and was covered in 1985 by Dusty Springfield.
In 2001, Sheena Easton covered "Love Is in Control" on her retro-disco album Fabulous. The track was intended as the second single from the album and a UK promo single was issued but the single's release was cancelled.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits, 8th Edition (Billboard Publications)
- Danyel Smith, ed. (1982). Billboard 25 september 1982. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved 13 July 2013.
- "Ultratop.be – Donna Summer – Love Is In Control (Finger On The Trigger)" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Love is in control in Canadian Singles Chart". Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- "Love is in control in French Chart" (in French). Dominic DURAND / InfoDisc. 13 July 2013. Retrieved 13 July 2013. You have to use the index at the top of the page and search "Donna Summer"
- "Love is in control in Irish Chart". IRMA. Retrieved 1 June 2013. Only one result when searching "Love is in control"
- "The best-selling singles of 1982 in Italy". HitParadeItalia (it). Retrieved 1 June 2013.
71. Love is in control (fingers on my triggers) - Donna Summer [#18, 1982]
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Donna Summer search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Donna Summer – Love Is In Control (Finger On The Trigger)" (in Dutch). Mega Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Donna Summer – Love Is In Control (Finger On The Trigger)". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Donna Summer – Love Is In Control (Finger On The Trigger)". VG-lista.
- John Samson. "Love is in control in South African Chart". Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Donna Summer – Love Is In Control (Finger On The Trigger)". Singles Top 60.
- "Donna Summer – Love Is In Control (Finger On The Trigger) – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "1982 Top 40 Official UK Singles Archive - 14th August 1982". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- "Donna Summer awards on Allmusic". Allmusic. Retrieved 1 June 2013.