Love Is the Answer (album)
|Love Is the Answer|
|Studio album by Barbra Streisand|
|Released||September 29, 2009|
|Producer||Diana Krall, Tommy LiPuma|
|Barbra Streisand chronology|
|The Boston Globe||(?)|
Love Is the Answer is an album of jazz standards by Barbra Streisand released on September 29, 2009. The album was produced by Diana Krall and features Krall on piano. Orchestral arrangements are by Johnny Mandel, Anthony Wilson and Alan Broadbent. A deluxe edition contains a bonus disc featuring versions of the songs with just Streisand's vocals and Krall's quartet. The album received positive critical reviews, and became Streisand's ninth #1 album on the Billboard 200. This resulted in making Streisand the only artist to have a number one album in America in five different decades. The album was certified Gold on November 13, by the RIAA, giving Streisand her 51st Gold record in the US.
To promote the album, Streisand performed for one night only on September 26 at the Village Vanguard some forty-eight years after she opened for Miles Davis at the same venue. On 2 October she also gave a rare interview and performed live for a BBC TV special hosted by Jonathan Ross. Streisand's performance at the Village Vanguard was released on DVD as One Night Only Barbra Streisand and Quartet at The Village Vanguard and was certified Platinum in the United States.
The album was promoted in a QVC special which offered a Special Edition DVD that includes bonus video tracks of "People" from My Name Is Barbra (1965); "Yesterdays" from Color Me Barbra (1966); "I'm Always Chasing Rainbows" from The Belle of 14th Street (1967); "Silent Night" from A Happening in Central Park (1968); "Crying Time" (with Ray Charles) from Barbra Streisand...And Other Musical Instruments (1973).
The same day of the release of the album, Mariah Carey released her album Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel. Initially a favorite to be #1 on the Billboard 200 during its debut week, it was announced that Paramore's Brand New Eyes was ahead on sales and would likely reach the top spot of the Billboard 200 and surpass Mariah Carey. What began as a battle between those two albums ended with Streisand surpassing both and achieving the pole position of the charts.
Billboard then confirmed that the album debuted at #1. The news shocked the music industry, and found Streisand extending her previously held record of most consecutive decades with #1 albums achieved by any artist. Streisand has achieved at least one #1 album in five consecutive decades – the 1960s, the 1970s, the 1980s, the 1990s and the 2000s. Love Is the Answer is also the artist's ninth number-one album in the U.S., making Streisand the fourth artist with the most #1 albums in history, behind The Beatles (19), Jay-Z (11), and Elvis Presley (10). (It should be noted that Bruce Springsteen and The Rolling Stones have also achieved nine number-one albums each.)
Conscious of the good news (and the unparalled record achieved), Streisand immediately posted a "letter" on her official website:
- "I was just told that Love Is the Answer came out at Number One, and I want to share that honor with all of you.. my fans, my friends.. who have made that possible. I want to share it as well with Diana Krall and Tommy LiPuma and everyone who worked on the album... with Jay Landers and especially my manager Marty Erlichman and my team at Columbia Records. You'd think that getting the news that you've been Number One in five consecutive decades would make you feel old, but this makes me feel young. Thank you all."
In the UK, the album initially landed at #4, with sales of 30,000 copies. The ensuing media coverage of Streisand’s U.S. chart placement helped bolster UK sales, and during its second week of release, Love Is the Answer managed to climb to the #1 spot, even surpassing Madonna's Celebration album in sales. Immediately, Streisand sent another note to her fans through her website: "When the album went to #1 in the States I was surprised and thrilled. To have the same thing happen on "the other side of the pond" is just as exciting. I've always loved spending time in the UK and it's so gratifying to learn how this album has been embraced. With all my appreciation and thanks! Barbra".
Achieving the top position in both countries, Love Is the Answer is only the fourth Barbra Streisand record to be #1 in both the U.S. and the UK, and the first in making it since 1980's Guilty.
In Canada the album debuted at number 2 with sales of 13,000 copies (only 1000 copies behind Madonna's album Celebration). In Spain, Streisand achieved her second top 10 album, landed at #1 with the 1980 multi-platinum Guilty album, and at #6 with Love Is the Answer.
So far no singles have been released from the album, making its success more fruitful as most albums' successes are based upon a song's success in the singles charts.
- "Here's to Life" (Artie Butler, Phyllis Molinary) – 4:35
- "In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning" (Bob Hilliard, David Mann) – 4:02
- "Gentle Rain" (Luiz Bonfá, Matt Dubey) – 4:19
- "If You Go Away (Ne me quitte pas)" (Jacques Brel, Rod McKuen) – 4:14
- "Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most" (Fran Landesman, Tommy Wolf) – 4:32
- "Make Someone Happy" (Betty Comden, Adolph Green, Jule Styne) – 4:08
- "Where Do You Start?" (Johnny Mandel, Alan Bergman, Marilyn Bergman) – 4:26
- "A Time for Love" (Mandel, Paul Francis Webster) – 5:12
- "Here's That Rainy Day" (Johnny Burke, Jimmy Van Heusen) – 5:04
- "Love Dance" (Ivan Lins, Gilson Peranzzetta, Paul Williams) – 4:43
- "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" (Jerome Kern, Otto Harbach) – 4:22
- "Some Other Time" (Leonard Bernstein, Comden, Green) – 4:43
- "You Must Believe in Spring" (Bergman, Bergman, Michel Legrand) – 4:04 [Bonus track]
The second disc of the deluxe package, featuring Streisand and quartet, includes:
- "Here's To Life" (Artie Butler/Phyllis Molinary) - 4:31
- "In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning" (Bob Hilliard/David Mann) - 3:58
- "Gentle Rain" (Luiz Bonfa/Matt Dubey) - 4:20
- "If You Go Away (Ne me quitte pas)" (Jacques Brel/Rod McKuen) - 4:12
- "Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most" (Tommy Wolf/Fran Landesman) - 4:34
- "Make Someone Happy" (Jule Styne/Betty Comden/Adolph Green) - 4:02
- "Where Do You Start?"(Johnny Mandel/Alan Bergman/Marilyn Bergman) - 4:26
- "A Time For Love" (Johnny Mandel/Paul Francis Webster) - 5:14
- "Here's That Rainy Day" (Johnny Burke/Jimmy Van Heusen) - 5:03
- "Love Dance" (Ivan Lins/Gilson Peranzzetta/English lyrics by Paul Williams) - 4:43
- "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" (Jerome Kern/Otto Harbach) - 4:17
- "Some Other Time" (Leonard Bernstein/Betty Comden/Adolph Green) - 4:43
- Barbra Streisand: vocals
- Diana Krall piano
- Jeff Hamilton drums
- John Clayton bass
- Anthony Wilson guitar
- Robert Hurst bass (1, 2, 6, 11)
- Tamir Hendelman piano (1, 2, 6, 11, 12)
- Alan Broadbent piano (5, 7, 8, 9)
- Bill Charlap piano (13)
- Paulinho da Costa percussion (3, 10)
Charts and certifications
Backspacer by Pearl Jam
|Billboard 200 number-one album
October 17, 2009
Crazy Love by Michael Bublé
Brand New Eyes by Paramore
|UK Albums Chart number-one album
October 11, 2009
In This Light and On This Evening by Editors
- Allmusic review
- Billboard review
- The Boston Globe review
- Entertainment Weekly review
- The Guardian review
- The Times review
- Hetrick, Adam (July 27, 2009). New Two-Disc Streisand Recording to Feature Songs by Bernstein, Kern, Brel, Styne and More. Playbill. Retrieved on August 7, 2009.
- "Barbra Streisand Surprises With Ninth No. 1 On Billboard 200". Billboard.com. 2009-09-14. Retrieved 2009-10-07.
- Bacalzo, Dan (2009-11-16). "Barbra Streisand's Love Is the Answer Certified Gold: Theater News on TheaterMania.com - 11/16/2009". Theatermania.com. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- Holden, Stephen (August 6, 2009). For One Night Only: Streisand at Village Vanguard. The New York Times. Retrieved on August 7, 2009.
- "Barbra Streisand "Love Is The Answer" CD Plus Bonus DVD". QVC.com. Retrieved 2009-10-07.
- "Love Is The Answer / QVC Exclusive w/ Richard Jay-Alexander | The Official Barbra Streisand Site". Barbrastreisand.com. Retrieved 2009-10-07.
- "A Letter From Barbra | The Official Barbra Streisand Site". Barbrastreisand.com. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- "Madonna's Second Week Atop Euro Chart". Billboard.com. 2009-09-14. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- "Radio 1 - The Official Chart with Reggie Yates - The Official UK Top 40 Albums Chart". BBC. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- "New Album Is #1 In UK Too + A Note From Barbra. | The Official Barbra Streisand Site". Barbrastreisand.com. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- John Williams (2009-09-24). "CANOE - JAM! Music - Artists - Madonna: Madonna leads big chart debut week". Jam.canoe.ca. Retrieved 2009-10-07.
- Retrieved 2009-10-07.
- Go to amazon.com for more info about her new release
- "Nominees And Winners". GRAMMY.com. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- Steffen Hung. "Barbra Streisand - Love Is The Answer". lescharts.com. Retrieved 2009-10-07.
- Steffen Hung. "Barbra Streisand - Love Is The Answer". lescharts.com. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- "Hungarian Albums Chart". Mahasz. Retrieved 2009-12-03.
- "Spain Albums Chart" (PDF). Retrieved 2009-10-07.[dead link]
- Love Is the Answer on Swedish Charts
- "UK Albums Chart". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2009-10-07.
- "Barbra Streisand Surprises With Ninth No. 1 On Billboard 200". Billboard. 2009-10-07. Retrieved 2009-10-07.
- "Music Albums, Top 200 Albums & Music Album Charts". Billboard.com. 2012-02-25. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- John Williams (2009-10-07). "CANOE - JAM! Music - Artists - Madonna: Madonna leads big chart debut week". Jam.canoe.ca. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- [dead link]