Love Letter (TV series)
Love Letter DVD cover
|Written by||Oh Soo-yeon|
|Directed by||Oh Kyung-hoon|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||16|
|Running time||approx. 60 minutes
Mondays and Tuesdays at 21:55 (KST)
|Original channel||Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation|
|Original run||February 10, 2003– April 1, 2003|
|Preceded by||Inspector Park Moon-soo|
|Followed by||The Bean Chaff of My Life|
Love Letter (Hangul: 러브레터; RR: Leo-beu Le-teo) is a 2003 South Korean television series starring Jo Hyun-jae, Soo Ae and Ji Jin-hee. It aired on MBC from February 10 to April 1, 2003 on Mondays and Tuesdays at 21:55 for 16 episodes.
This drama revolves around Lee Woo-jin's conflict between priesthood and his love for childhood friend Eun-ha.
Act 1 - Growing up
As a young orphan, Lee Woo-jin (Andrew) received horrible treatment while growing up under his aunt. When his uncle comes back from Italy, his uncle a priest decides to raise him. Eun-ha, another orphan is brought to the cathedral as well. Although initially antagonistic to Woo-jin, the two becomes inseparable friends. At the end of high school, Eun-ha is about to confess her feelings for Andrew however Andrew tells her of his dreams to become a priest.
Act 2 - College
Andrew and Eun-ha leave the cathedral to attend college. Andrew meets Jung Woo-jin and the two become close friends. Jung Woo-jin falls in love with Eun-ha but she rebuffs his attentions. The love triangles causes hurt and pain for all 3 friends. It is brought to a climax where Andrew writes Eun-ha a love letter but Jung Woo-jin destroys the love letter without Eun-ha reading it.
Act 3 - Finale
Andrew returns from the seminary but has not taken his final vows of priesthood. Eun-ha develops a heart condition and before the final operation makes Andrew promise to fulfill his dreams to become a priest. After the operation Eun-ha slips into a coma. Jung Woo-jin is finally able to escape the love triangle and Andrew takes his vow to become a priest. Eun-ha awakens from the coma and Andrew agrees to take care of her.
Cast and characters
- Jo Hyun-jae as Lee Woo-jin (Andrew)
- Lee Woo-jin was raised by a cruel aunt before being taken to live with his priest uncle. Although he believes his mother has died, it is later revealed that she abandoned him to become Jung Woo-jin's stepmother. Kind and introspective, he wrestles with his desire to become a priest with his feelings for Eun-ha. He studied medicine in university and is a trained surgeon.
- Soo Ae as Cho Eun-ha
- Another orphan taken into care at the seminary after the death of her mother. Although antagonistic at first to everyone, she slowly develops feelings for Lee Woo-jin. She is caught between affections from Jung Woo-jin and her own unrequited love for Lee Woo-jin. A life threatening heart condition makes her ask Lee Woo-jin to choose priesthood over her. Although the surgery on her heart was a success she slips into a coma. She awakens from a coma at the end of the series ready to spend the rest of her life with Lee Woo-jin.
- Ji Jin-hee as Jung Woo-jin
- Although initially friendly to Lee Woo-jin, his jealously of the relationship of Eun-ha and Lee Woo-jin as well as the discovery that his stepmother is Woo-jin's biological mother causes him to act out of character and sabotage Lee Woo-jin's attempt at happiness. Like Lee Woo-jin he is also a qualified surgeon. He has unresolved issues with his father for leaving his biological mother and although he rebels against him, he finds himself turning out to be exactly like him.
- Son Hyun-joo as Father Peter
- Father Peter is Lee Woo-jin's maternal uncle who raised him in the church after rescuing him from a cruel paternal aunt.
- Kim Young-ae as Dr. Im Kyung-eun
- Im Kyung-eun is Lee Woo-jin's biological mother who abandoned him at birth.
- Kim Yoon-kyung as Seo-young
- Eun-ha's friend.
- Kwon Min-joong as Sister Esther
- Yoon Yoo-suk as Sister Gemma
- Yang Hee-kyung as Maria
- Father Peter's cook/housekeeper.
- Joo Hyun as Dr. Jung Myung-woo
- Im Kyung-eun's husband and Jung Woo-jin's father.
- Choi Jae-hyung
- Seo Hyun-ki
- Son Young-joon
- Jung Woo-jin's friend
- Jung Mi-ae as Andrew's high school classmate
- Yoo Seung-ho as young Lee Woo-jin/Andrew
- Han Ye-rin as Hee-jin
- Lee Woo-jin's cousin.