Love Me Two Times
|"Love Me Two Times"|
|Single by The Doors|
|from the album Strange Days|
|Recorded||May and August 1967|
|Genre||Blues rock, psychedelic rock|
|Producer(s)||Paul A. Rothchild|
|The Doors singles chronology|
"Love Me Two Times" is a song by The Doors. It was written by the band and first appeared on the 1967 album Strange Days. It was released as the second single (after "People Are Strange") from that album, and reached number 25 on the charts in the US.
"Love Me Two Times" was considered to be somewhat risqué for radio airplay.
The lyrics were written by guitarist Robby Krieger. According to band members, the song was about a soldier/sailor on his last day with his girlfriend before shipping out, ostensibly to war (Vietnam).
- 28 December 1967 Winterland Arena - San Francisco, CA
- 17 March 1968 Back Bay Theatre - Boston, MA
- 6 September 1968 The Roundhouse - London, UK
- 18 September 1968 Copenhagen - Denmark, TV Show
- 20 September 1968 Konserthuset - Stockholm, Sweden (1st show)
- 20 September 1968 Konserthuset - Stockholm, Sweden (2nd show)
- 10 November 1968 Minneapolis Concert Hall - Minneapolis, MN
- 14 December 1968 L.A. Forum - Inglewood, California
- 24 January 1969 Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
- 1 March 1969 Dinner Key Auditorium - Miami, FL
- 7 February 1970 Long Beach Sports Arena - Long Beach
- 18 April 1970 Honolulu Convention Center - Honolulu, HI
- 6 June 1970 Pacific National Exhibition Coliseum - Vancouver, BC
- 21 August 1970 Bakersfield Civic Auditorium - Bakersfield, CA
- "Love Me Two Times" was covered by Aerosmith for the soundtrack of the 1990 film Air America (whose producers, Carolco Pictures, would also produce a biopic about the Doors) and was also played at the band's MTV Unplugged performance that same year, where lead singer Steven Tyler dedicated the song to Jim Morrison, who performed with the Doors at the same venue of the Unplugged performance, the Ed Sullivan Theater, several years prior. The 1990 cover reached number 27 on the U.S. Mainstream Rock Tracks chart. In 2001, the song was included on their greatest hits album, Young Lust: The Aerosmith Anthology. In addition, their version was included on the Doors tribute album Stoned Immaculate.
- It was also covered by pianist George Winston on his album Night Divides the Day – The Music of the Doors.
- The song is also briefly covered in the song "Bitchin' Camaro" by the Dead Milkmen, albeit with slightly altered lyrics.
- "Love Me Two Times" was also covered by Joan Jett, and included on the compilation The Hit List.
- The song appears in the soundtrack to the video game Guitar Hero World Tour, and as downloadable content for the video game Rock Band 3.