Love Will Lead You Back
|"Love Will Lead You Back"|
CD Single Cover
|Single by Taylor Dayne|
|from the album Can't Fight Fate|
|B-side||"You Meant the World to Me"|
|Released||January 20, 1990|
4:24 (Single Version)4:39 (Album Version)
|Taylor Dayne singles chronology|
"Love Will Lead You Back" is a song performed by American singer Taylor Dayne. Released as the second single from Dayne's second album Can't Fight Fate (following the more uptempo "With Every Beat of My Heart"), the ballad debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 chart on January 27, 1990. It reached number one on April 7 that same year and spent 15 weeks in the Top 40. It also reached number one on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart and was certified Gold in the U.S. by the RIAA.
The song, written by Diane Warren, is about a woman who is willing to set her lover free because she is confident that one day his love will lead him back to her: "Sometimes it takes some time out on your own now / to find your way back home". Warren has stated that she began writing the song while in a hotel in Russia, and that she had Whitney Houston in mind, but Arista Records president Clive Davis wanted to let Dayne record the song. It became Dayne's only number one single.
The video was very simple; it shows Dayne and her band in a studio performing the song. The video was released both in black-and-white and sepia tones. In the video, Dayne holds in her hand what seems to be the lyrics of the song, or possibly a letter from her lover.
|Australian Singles Chart||11|
|Canadian Singles Chart||2|
|French Singles Chart||9|
|Japanese Singles Chart (Tokyo)||3|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||28|
|Polish Singles Chart||41|
|UK Singles Chart||69|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||1|
|U.S. Billboard Adult Contemporary Chart||1|
End of year charts
|End of year chart (1990)||Position|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||28|
The song was covered by Brazilian singer Sandra de Sá, by Filipina singers Kyla and Nina, by Mexican pop singer Yuri for her 1990 Soy Libre LP, and Australian pop group Young Divas. In 2000, Grammy Award winning artist Patti LaBelle covered the composition for her album, When A Woman Loves. Dutch pop singer Gordon also covered the song in 1994 and American Crooner Johnny Mathis also covered his version of the song from his 1998 album, Because You Loved Me.
On American Idol it has been covered three times, by Carmen Rasmusen (season 2), Mikalah Gordon (season 4) and Karen Rodriguez (season 10). All three were eliminated the next night after their performances of that song.
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961–2001. Record Research. p. 73.
- Steffen Hung. "Taylor Dayne – Love Will Lead You Back". australian-charts.com. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- "Item Display – RPM – Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- Steffen Hung. "Taylor Dayne – Love Will Lead You Back". charts.org.nz. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- "ChartArchive – Taylor Dayne – Love Will Lead You Back". Chartstats.com. Archived from the original on 2012-09-09. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- Taylor Dayne (1962-03-07). "Taylor Dayne – Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- "Billboard Top 100 – 1990". Retrieved 2009-09-15.
- The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits, 6th Edition, 1996
- The Billboard Book of #1 Hits, 5th Edition, 2003
"All My Life" by Linda Ronstadt featuring Aaron Neville
|Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks number-one single
March 24, 1990
"This Old Heart of Mine (Is Weak for You)" by Rod Stewart with Ronald Isley
"Black Velvet" by Alannah Myles
|Billboard Hot 100 number-one single
April 7, 1990
"I'll Be Your Everything" by Tommy Page