Loveladies, New Jersey
|Loveladies, New Jersey|
|Elevation||7 ft (2 m)|
|GNIS feature ID||0877949|
Loveladies is a neighborhood and unincorporated community located in the northernmost portion of Long Beach Township, in Ocean County, New Jersey, United States. The area is on Long Beach Island, between Barnegat Light and Harvey Cedars.
In 1871, a location of the United States Life-Saving Service was established in the area. There was a small, 10-acre (40,000 m2) island in the bay adjacent to the station which was owned by a man named Thomas Lovelady. The area was called Lovelady's, which eventually evolved to Loveladies. It has frequently been noted on lists of unusual place names.
The Loveladies neighborhood (and increasingly, North Beach) is home to an assortment of large-scale homes.
All of Loveladies' beaches are open to the public. There are four access points off of Long Beach Boulevard for visitor access, all of which have free public parking available:
- Dolphin Lane (North Pumping Station)
- Coast Avenue
- Loveladies Lane (South Pumping Station)
- Seashell Lane
Long Beach Island Foundation of the Arts and Sciences
Loveladies is home to the Long Beach Island Foundation of the Arts and Sciences, established in 1948 by artist Boris Blai. The organization provides arts, science and recreation programs to area residents and visitors. The Long Beach Island Foundation of the Arts and Sciences offers an After School Arts Education Program to area schools, an Artists Residency and Retreat Program for New Jersey Artists, Visiting Artists in Ceramics during the summer season, and ceramics scholarships and residency opportunities.
- "Loveladies". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2012-09-23.
- About the Loveladies Community, accessed December 26, 2006
- Parker, Quentin (2010). Welcome to Horneytown, North Carolina, Population: 15: An insider's guide to 201 of the world's weirdest and wildest places. Adams Media. pp. xi.
- Frequently Asked Questions, Loveladies Property Owners Association. Accessed December 26, 2006.
- Mission and History, Long Beach Island Foundation of the Arts and Sciences. Accessed September 23, 2013.
- Loveladies Property Owners Association
- Loveladies Harbor Organization
- Loveladies: General Information
|Beaches of New Jersey||Succeeded by