Lovely Professional University
|Lovely Professional university|
Seal of the Lovely Professional University
|Motto||Transforming Education Transforming India|
|Chancellor||Ashok K Mittal |
|Location||Phagwara, Punjab, India
Urban 600 acres (2.4 km2)
Orange and Black]
|Mascot||Sun of Knowledge|
|Affiliations||UGC, AIU, NCTE, PCI, COA, BCI|
Lovely Professional University (LPU) is a private semi-residential university in North India created under the Punjab State Private University Act 2005 and recognized by UGC under Section 2(f) of UGC Act 1956. LPU offers around 200 programmes and courses at diploma, under-graduate, graduate, post graduate, and doctoral levels.The university has more than 25,000 students.
It is situated on the National Highway-1, at the entry of Jalandhar City. The university offers residential facilities separately for boys and girls. LPU has connections with universities and institutes in USA, UK, Australia, Canada, Singapore, Brazil, Poland, and Ghana for twinning programmes and student exchanges.
The university has recognitions, approvals, membership of national statutory bodies UGC, NCTE, PCI, IAP, COA, BCI, AIU and international memberships of Association of Commonwealth Universities (UK), International Association of Universities (France), Accreditation Council of Business Schools and Programs (USA), The Institute of International Education (New York).
LPU's Division of Student Affairs (DSA) provides leisure activities. The Division designs culture, sports, services and other allied social activities and delivers these through different clubs.
Awards and rankings
- The Lovely Faculty of Technology and Sciences was ranked #12 on the CSR-GHRDC Engineering Colleges Survey 2011.
- LMA Vardhman award was given to Ashok Mittal, Chancellor of Lovely Professional University (LPU). The university got the best private university of the year award by ASSOCHAM for the year 2012.
- TV Channel Star News conferred National 'Outstanding B-School - North' Award and B-School Leadership - National' Award to LPU in 2011.
Lovely Professional University has Partnerships and Tie- ups in both academic and non- academic areas with foreign universities and institutes in USA, UK, Australia, Canada, Singapore, Brazil, Poland, Ghana, New Zealand, Switzerland, China, Croatia, Spain, Mongolia, and Vietnam.
In USA, LPU has tie ups with San Francisco State University, University of North Carolina, Northern Illinois University, North Dakota State University, Washburn University, Troy University, Binghamton University, University of Missouri, California State University, University of Iowa, Otterbein University, Fayetteville State University, Iowa State University, and University of Northern Iowa. In UK, LPU has tie ups with University of Sunderland, University of Wolverhampton, University of East London, University of Roehampton, Limkokwing University of Creative Technology, University of Northampton, University of West London, Coventry University, Edinburgh Napier University. In Australia, LPU has tie up with University of South Australia, Murdoch University, Central Queensland University and Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology. In Canada, LPU is partnered with Mount Allison University and Mount Royal University.
LPU holds membership International Association of Universities (IAU), France; Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU), UK; Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs(ACBSP), USA; The Institute of International Education(IIE), New York and Maldives Qualification Authority, Maldives.
LPU has a International Students Division, which serves as a single point of contact for the international students for issues relating to visa, travel guidance, academic counselling or availing of student services on the campus.
The University offers four major types of international programs: 1) International Twinning Arrangement Programs, wherein a student completes a part of studies at LPU and the remaining part with LPU's partner Foreign University under articulation arrangements. 2) English Language Programs for international students, from Non-English speaking Countries or those where English is not the first language. 3) Study India Programs for students studying abroad. 4) Study Abroad Programs where the LPU students study a part of the programme in a university (LPU's partner university) in a different country and earn the academic credits from that university which are clubbed/added to the credits from LPU.
The University is recognized by University Grant Commission (UGC) and is member of coveted Association of Indian Universities (AIU). It is also a member of other prestigious global organisations such as International Association of Universities (IAU), France; Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU), UK; Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs(ACBSP), USA; The Institute of International Education(IIE), New York and Maldives Qualification Authority, Maldives.
Violence on campus
In April 2011, during a Soccer game a student was beaten by opposition team members and died a few hours later in hospital. The beaten student was from Mizoram and the three accused were Sudanese and Tanzanian. The racial aspect of the crime led to near-rioting on the campus, destroying a number of kiosks and cars. Tension continued with the university closed for three days, and with police being pelted with stones by angry students. LPU Pro-Chancellor Rashmi Mittal described the attack as, "students didn’t take the spirit of the game in a positive manner". The university's management have also been criticised for ignoring earlier racial attacks. 
- "Lovely Professional University's Seal". Lovely Professional University. Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- "Message from The Chancellor". Lovely Professional University. Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- "Message from Vice Chancellor". Lovely Professional University. Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- "General Facts". Lovely Professional University. Retrieved January 2, 2013.
- "Lovely Professional University". Lovely Professional University. Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- UGC, UGC (December 26, 2005). "Private University List". UGC. Retrieved December 26, 2005.
- Lovely Professional University. "About Us". Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- Lovely Professional University. "LPU In Media". Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- PCI, PCI (December 26, 2005). "Approved Diploma Institutions". PCI. Retrieved December 26, 2005.
- AIU, AIU (December 26, 2005). "AIU Members List". AIU. Retrieved December 26, 2005.
- "CSR-GHRDC Engineering Colleges Survey 2011" (PDF). Competition Success Review: 1–6. August 2011.
- "Jawahar Lal Oswal bags lifetime". Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- National Outstanding B School Award (25 March 2011). "LPU wins two prestigious awards at Star News National Awards".
- International Association of Universities (IAU). "Institutions".
- Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU), UK. "ACU members".
- Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs(ACBSP), USA. "Current ACBSP Members - Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs".
- Institute of International Education. "IIE Network Member Institutions".
- Association of Indian University. "LPU, Lovely professional university".
- "Mizo student killed in Lovely Professional University during football match". Times of India. 27 April 2011.
- "Africans in jail custody for Mizo's death". Times of India. 30 April 2011.
- "African students beat Mizo youth to death at campus football game". indianexpress.com. 28 April 2011.
- "Mizo student’s death not first act of campus violence". The Sunday Guardian. 1 May 2011.
- "Brutal attack on Burundi national — hate crime or drunken brawl?". The Hindu. 20 January 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lovely Professional University.|
- [University's Official Website]