Lovely Professional University
|Lovely Professional University|
Seal of the Lovely Professional University
|Motto||Transforming Education Transforming India|
|Chancellor||Ashok K. Mittal|
|Director||H. R. Singla|
|Location||Jalandhar, Punjab, India
Urban 600 acres (2.4 km2)
Orange and Black]
|Mascot||Sun of Knowledge|
|Affiliations||UGC, AIU, NCTE, PCI, COA, BCI|
Lovely Professional University (LPU) is a private semi-residential university in India created under the state government private university act. LPU claims to be the largest private university in India in terms of number of students on a single campus and is situated on 600+ acres of green area on NH-1 at the entry of Jalandhar city. The university has more than 25,000 students from 28 states and 26 countries around the world. It is recognized by UGC under Section 2(f) of UGC Act 1956.
LPU is a residential university with separate hostels for boys and girls housing more than 15,000 students. The university provides education through more than 150 doctorate, post graduate, graduate and diploma programmes in a variety of disciplines. They have also tied with international universities for twinning programs and international exposure programs.
The University, which was awarded with the title of “Best Private University of the Year -2013” by PallamRaju, Minister HRD- Govt. of India, has more than 25000 students, 3500 faculty and staff members and offers higher studies through more than 200 programmes. LPU has connections with with more than 35 Universities worldwide (USA, UK, Australia, Canada, Singapore, Brazil, Poland and Ghana including San Francisco State University, USA ), and international students from more than 28 countries.
LPU's Division of Student Affairs (DSA) provides leisure activities. The Division designs culture, sports, services and other allied social activities and delivers these through different clubs
- The Lovely Faculty of Technology and Sciences was ranked #2 on the CSR-GHRDC Engineering Colleges Survey 2011. It was ranked #29.
- Lovely Professional University was declared as the Best ICT Enabled University of the Year by the Ministry of Communications and IT, Government of India, occasion was the 7th e-INDIA Awards at Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India
- Award conferred on Lovely Professional University for having 'the Best University Management System'
- The e-INDIA award is the India's largest ICT event.
SiliconIndia.com’ ranked Lovely Professional University among top 4 Best private Universities of India.
- ‘SiliconIndia.com’ is India’s largest professional News and Media Company*.
- LPU got a "Punjab Gaurav Award" in the First Annual Corporate Summit 2012 organized by All India Technical and Management Association (AITMA). Governor Punjab Sh. Shivraj Patil bestowed 'Punjab Gaurav Award' upon LPU Chancellor.
- LMA Vardhman award was given to Ashok Mittal, Chancellor of Lovely Professional University (LPU). The university got the best private university of the year award by ASSOCHAM for the year 2012. LMA Dayanand Munjal award for the manager of the year 2012 was given to Kewal Krishan Talwar, an alumnus of PGIMER.
- The first Honoris Causa Degree conferred by Lovely Professional University was received by Hamid Karzai, President of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. The D. Litt. ( Honoris Causa) Degree was conferred on Mr Karzai by Shri Pranab Mukherjee at the 3rd Annual Convocation of Lovely Professional University held on May 20, 2013.
- TV Channel Star News conferred National 'Outstanding B-School - North' Award and B-School Leadership - National' Award to LPU in 2011.
- The website of the University ‘www.lpu.in’ has been ranked among Top 10 Educational Website Designs in the World.
- Know More
Lovely Professional University has Partnerships and Tie- ups in both academic and non- academic areas with world class foreign universities and institutes across the globe including USA, UK, Australia, Canada, Singapore, Brazil, Poland, Ghana, New Zealand, Switzerland, China, Croatia, Spain, Mongolia, and Vietnam.
In USA, LPU has tie ups with San Francisco State University, University of North Carolina, Northern Illinois University, North Dakota State University, Washburn University, Troy University, Binghamton University, University of Missouri, California State University, University of Iowa, Otterbein University, Fayetteville State University, Iowa State University, and University of Northern Iowa, etc. In UK, LPU has tie ups with University of Sunderland, University of Wolverhampton, University of East London, University of Roehampton, Limkokwing University of Creative Technology, University of Northampton, University of West London, Coventry University, Edinburgh Napier University. In Australia, LPU has tie up with University of South Australia, Murdoch University, Central Queensland University, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, etc. In Canada, LPU is partnered with Mount Allison University and Mount Royal University.
LPU holds membership of prestigious international organisations such as International Association of Universities (IAU), France; Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU), UK; Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs(ACBSP), USA; The Institute of International Education(IIE), New York and Maldives Qualification Authority, Maldives.
LPU has a dedicated International Students Division, which serves as a single point of contact for the international students for all their issues relating to visa, travel guidance, academic counselling or availing of student services on the campus. Services like Free Pick up Facility, Orientation Programme, Counselling, English Language Support, Accommodation, Transport, Campus Hospital, Physiotherapy Clinic, Gymnasium, Banks, Bank Loan Assistance, Library, Computing Services, IT Support are provided to the international students.
The University offers four major types of international programs: 1) International Twinning Arrangement Programs, wherein a student gets an opportunity to complete a part of his/her studies at LPU and the remaining part with LPU's partner Foreign University under articulation arrangements. 2) English Language Programs for international students, from Non-English speaking Countries or those where English is not the first language, to acquire proficiency and fluency in English language 3) Study India Programs for students studying abroad who are interested to visit and explore India's rich cultural heritage. 4) Study Abroad Programs where the LPU students study a part of the programme in a university (LPU's partner university) in a different country and earn the academic credits from that university which are clubbed/added to the credits from LPU.
The University is recognized by University Grant Commission (UGC) and is member of coveted Association of Indian Universities (AIU). It is also a member of other prestigious global organisations such as International Association of Universities (IAU), France; Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU), UK; Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs(ACBSP), USA; The Institute of International Education(IIE), New York and Maldives Qualification Authority, Maldives.
Violence on campus
In April 2011, during a Soccer game a student was beaten by opposition team members and died a few hours later in hospital. The beaten student was from Mizoram and the three accused were Sudanese and Tanzanian. The racial aspect of the crime led to near-rioting on the campus, destroying a number of kiosks and cars. Tension continued with the university closed for three days, and with police being pelted with stones by angry students. LPU Pro-Chancellor Rashmi Mittal described the attack as, "students didn’t take the spirit of the game in a positive manner". The university's management have also been criticised for ignoring earlier racial attacks. 
- "Lovely Professional University's Seal". Lovely Professional University. Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- "Message from The Chancellor". Lovely Professional University. Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- "Message from Vice Chancellor". Lovely Professional University. Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- "General Facts". Lovely Professional University. Retrieved January 2, 2013.
- "Lovely Professional University". Lovely Professional University. Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- Bhattacharya, Saumya (July 12, 2009). "The Top Recruiters On Business and Engineering College Campuses Were All New Names". Business Today through HighBeam Research. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- Lovely Professional University. "About Us". Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- Lovely Professional University. "LPU In Media". Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- Lovely Professional University. "Education Programs". Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- 100/100 marks. "LPU, Lovely professional university".
- "CSR-GHRDC Engineering Colleges Survey 2011". Competition Success Review: 1–6. August 2011.
- "India’s Largest ICT Event". eIndia (press release). December 2011. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- "Best Private University". Silicon India (press release). July 2012. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- "His Excellency Honble Governor Award". LPU Blog. July 2012. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- "Jawahar Lal Oswal bags lifetime". Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- National Outstanding B School Award (25 March 2011). "LPU wins two prestigious awards at Star News National Awards".
- Top 10 Educational website (7 Jun 2011). "35 Outstanding Educational Website Designs".
- International Association of Universities (IAU). "Institutions".
- Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU), UK. "ACU members".
- Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs(ACBSP), USA. "Current ACBSP Members - Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs".
- Institute of International Education. "IIE Network Member Institutions".
- University Grants Commission. "University".
- Association of Indian University. "LPU, Lovely professional university".
- "Mizo student killed in Lovely Professional University during football match". Times of India. 27 April 2011.
- "Africans in jail custody for Mizo's death". Times of India. 30 April 2011.
- "African students beat Mizo youth to death at campus football game". indianexpress.com. 28 April 2011.
- "Mizo student’s death not first act of campus violence". The Sunday Guardian. 1 May 2011.
- "Brutal attack on Burundi national — hate crime or drunken brawl?". The Hindu. 20 January 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lovely Professional University.|