Lovely Professional University
||This college or university article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia guidelines for college and university articles. (June 2013)|
|Lovely Professional University|
|Motto||Transforming Education Transforming India|
|Chancellor||Ashok K. Mittal|
|Location||Jalandhar, Punjab, India
|Campus||600+ (Approx) acres|
Lovely Professional University (LPU) is a private semi-residential university created under the state government private university act. LPU claims to be the largest private university in India in terms of number of students on a single campus and is situated on 600+ acres of green area on NH-1 at the entry of Jalandhar city. The university has more than 25,000 students from 28 states and 26 countries around the world. It is recognized by UGC under Section 2(f) of UGC Act 1956.
LPU is a residential university with separate hostels for boys and girls housing more than 15,000 students. AC and non-AC facilities with different fees are available in hostels depending on student need. The university provides education through more than 150 doctorate, post graduate, graduate and diploma programmes in a variety of disciplines. They have also tied with international universities for twinning programs and international exposure programs.
The Lovely Faculty of Technology and Sciences was ranked #2 on the CSR-GHRDC Engineering Colleges Survey 2011. It was ranked #29. Lovely Professional University was declared as the Best ICT Enabled University of the Year by the Ministry of Communications and IT, Government of India
- Occasion was the 7th e-INDIA Awards at Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India
- Award conferred on Lovely Professional University for having 'the Best University Management System'
- The e-INDIA award is the India's largest ICT event.
SiliconIndia.com’ ranked Lovely Professional University among top 4 Best private Universities of India.
- ‘SiliconIndia.com’ is India’s largest professional News and Media Company*.
- LPU got a "Punjab Gaurav Award" in the First Annual Corporate Summit 2012 organized by All India Technical and Management Association (AITMA).Excellency Hon'ble Governor Punjab Sh. Shivraj Patil bestowed 'Punjab Gaurav Award' upon LPU Chancellor.
- LMA Vardhman award was given to Ashok Mittal, Chancellor of Lovely Professional University (LPU). The university got the best private university of the year award by ASSOCHAM for the year 2012. LMA Dayanand Munjal award for the manager of the year 2012 was given to Dr Kewal Krishan Talwar who is an alumnus of PGIMER.
- The first ever Honoris Causa Degree conferred by Lovely Professional University was received by His Excellency Mr.Hamid Karzai, President of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. The D. Litt.( Honoris Causa) Degree was conferred on Mr Karzai by Shri Pranab Mukherjee at the 3rd Annual Convocation of Lovely Professional University held on May 20, 2013.
Recognitions and Approvals
Lovely Professional University has recognitions and approvals of the following:
- University Grants Commission
- Association of Indian Universities
- Distance Education Council
- National Council for Teacher Education
- Pharmacy Council of India
- Indian Association of Physiotherapists
- Council of Architecture
- Bar Council of India
- Institution of Engineers
LPU offers university education through its distance education programme run by the LPU Directorate of Distance Education.
The distance education programmes at LPU are DEC recognized.
Violence on campus
In April 2011, During a Soccer game a student was beaten by opposition team members and died a few hours later in hospital. The beaten student was from Mizoram and the three accused were Sudanese and Tanzanian. The racial aspect of the crime led to near-rioting on the campus, destroying a number of kiosks and cars. Tension continued with the university closed for three days, and with police being pelted with stones by angry students. LPU Pro-Chancellor Rashmi Mittal described the attack as, "students didn’t take the spirit of the game in a positive manner". The university's management have also been criticised for ignoring earlier racial attacks.
- Lovely Professional University
- Bhattacharya, Saumya (July 12, 20009). "The Top Recruiters On Business and Engineering College Campuses Were All New Names". Business Today through HighBeam Research. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- Lovely Professional University. "About Us". Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- Lovely Professional University. "LPU In Media". Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- Lovely Professional University. "Education Programs". Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- "CSR-GHRDC Engineering Colleges Survey 2011". Competition Success Review: 1–6. August 2011.
- "India’s Largest ICT Event". eIndia (press release). December 2011. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- "Best Private University". Silicon India (press release). July 2012. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- "His Excellency Honble Governor Award". LPU Blog. July 2012. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- "Jawahar Lal Oswal bags lifetime". Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- "Mizo student killed in Lovely Professional University during football match". Times of India. 27 April 2011.
- "Africans in jail custody for Mizo's death". Times of India. 30 April 2011.
- "African students beat Mizo youth to death at campus football game". indianexpress.com. 28 April 2011.
- "Mizo student’s death not first act of campus violence". The Sunday Guardian. 1 May 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lovely Professional University.|