Theatrical released poster
|Directed by||Randal Kleiser|
|Produced by||Lance Bass
|Written by||Stephen Langford|
|Distributed by||The Weinstein Company|
|Release dates||January 21, 2007
May 18, 2007 (UK)
|Running time||86 mins.|
|Budget||$11 Million (U.S.)|
Love Wrecked (also known as Temptation Island internationally) is a 2005 film directed by Randal Kleiser. Starring Amanda Bynes, it is a romantic comedy about a girl getting stranded with a rock star on a beach in the Caribbean.
Originally produced as a feature film by Media 8 Entertainment, the Weinstein Company purchased the rights and, after several failed attempts to interest a theatrical distributor in the U.S., sold the TV rights to the ABC Family Channel – where it finally premiered on January 21, 2007.
Jenny Taylor (Amanda Bynes) is a fan of Jason Masters (Chris Carmack), a world-famous rock star, but her efforts to meet him are always thwarted by her nemesis, Alexis (Jamie-Lynn Sigler). Hoping to get another chance, Jenny takes a job at Masters' favorite Caribbean resort, joined by her best friend Ryan (Jonathan Bennett). Jenny sneaks aboard a party vessel Jason is on, and when Jason is washed overboard, Jenny jumps in to save him. Though the pair find themselves marooned in a secluded cove of a seemingly-deserted island, Jenny soon discovers that they have landed a short distance from the resort. She lets him believe they are stranded so she can make him fall in love with her.
Jenny gets help from Ryan, who drives out to her location to provide her with supplies.When Alexis discovers Jenny's plan by following Ryan secretly, she also pretends to be marooned with them. While Ryan has been helping, he has also decided to act on his long-standing love for Jenny, seeking advice on asking her out. He completely transforms himself, yet when she sees him, all she talks about is Jason. Ryan confesses he can't stop thinking about her and kisses her, but when Jenny protests that they are friends he tells her that he's going home, and drives off. Jenny feels bad and tells Jason the truth about not being stranded. He gets upset at both Jenny and Alexis, promises to sue them both, and leaves them behind as he hitches a ride back to the resort.
When Ryan hears that a storm is going to hit the side of the island where Jenny is he drives out to save her. As the storm builds, Jenny gets stuck in the car Ryan had abandoned to look for her, when Ryan returns just in time to save her as the car is about to slide over a muddy embankment. When he takes Jenny into a cave and lights a fire to keep her warm, she realizes that he is the one that cares for her the most. After the storm passes, Jenny and Ryan return to the resort, where Jason and his manager tell Jenny that they need her help to maintain the 'stranded' story at a press conference. Ryan proclaims his love for Jenny but is then forced out by Jason's bodyguard.
At the press conference, Jenny tells everyone that her boyfriend is Ryan, that Alexis is Jason's fiancee, then walks off with Ryan. As the end-credits roll, Jason is on stage in Winnipeg, unhappily dedicating a song to his wife, Alexis, who is standing at his side.
The original Director's Cut was premiered in 2005 at the Dominican Republic International Film Festival held in Cofresi Beach where the film was shot.
Love Wrecked was re-edited several times between 2005 and 2007 to tone down content, eventually getting a 2007 release as a family film:
- 2005: Theatrical rating - PG-13 for Sexual References.
- 2006: Re-rating - PG for Sensuality, Crude Humor and Language.
- 2007: The original U.S. theatrical version of the film received a PG rating from the British Board of Film Classification for "mild language, sex references and comic violence". It later played on UK's Sky movie channel.
The Region 1 DVD was released on March 13, 2007. The Region 2 DVD was released on September 17, 2007, and was the 4th bestselling DVD in it first week. In the UK, Love Wrecked was the first film released by Delanic Films, and was released on May 18, 2007. The film opened at no. 6 on the UK box office chart at 235 screens, and grossed £600,000.
Love Wrecked received generally poor reviews. On its Rotten Tomatoes listing, 17% of critics gave the film positive reviews, based on 6 reviews. Christopher Null of FilmCritic gave the film 2 out of 5 stars, stating that "Bynes has made far better films". Brian Orndorf of DVD Talk said that "Love Wrecked seems like such innocent fun until the tale drains of excitement and the Bynes batteries begin to wear down".
- "Love Wrecked titled Temptation Island internationally". Popcorn.dk. Retrieved 2007-05-17.
- "Love Wrecked TV rights sold to ABC Family". Movie Web. Archived from the original on 2008-01-11. Retrieved 2008-02-06.
- "Love Wrecked re-rated PG by the MPAA". MPAA. Retrieved 2008-02-18.
- "Love Wrecked rated PG by the BBFC". BBFC. Retrieved 2008-02-18.
- "Region 1 release comes on March 13, 2007". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2007-05-17.
- "Love Wrecked released May 18 to UK cinemas". Allocine.co.uk. Retrieved 2008-02-06.
- "Love Wrecked reaches 4th place in bestselling DVD's of the week". Delanic Films. Retrieved 2008-02-18.
- "Love Wrecked receives credit for Delanic's first film". Delanic Films. Retrieved 2008-02-19.
- "UK distribution rights for Love Wrecked sold to Delanic Films". Delanic Films. Retrieved 2008-02-06.
- "Love Wrecked receives 17% from critics at Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2008-02-26.
- "Christopher Null gives Love Wrecked 9 out of 5 stars". Film Critic. Retrieved 2008-02-26.
- "Brian Orndorf gives Love Wrecked a negative review". DVD Talk. Retrieved 2008-02-26.